The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

Swampy_NZ said:
I may look at selling some pods on trademe.What do you guys think is a good price per kg,100g etc
looking at selling dorset nagas,choc bhuts and Reapers.

I would be looking for mega $ for the reapers.  I reckon $5 for a fresh pod and 3 for $10 would be a good way to sell them.  If you are feeling generous throw in an extra pod of something else (dorset naga perhaps?).  It is quite a good deal as they can keep seeds which I personally paid more than $10USD for anyway.

I reckon perhaps $3 a pod and 5 for $10 for the other ones.  You don't really want to be selling pods for $1.00ea as it is not worth it to handle them and muck around with shipping etc.

100g for $20 for bhuts and nagas.  Maybe $30/100g for the reapers. 

I reckon most pods you sell will be orders of a few reapers to dudes wanting to light up their mates.

I bought 5 reapers from the tarde last year from a $1 no reserve.

There was no competition, I got them for $5 including postage and the dude was kind enough to throw in 10 fresh and 10 dried bhuts.

I reckon the thing with chillis is value adding.
I kept I touch with the guy I got them from, he grows commercially for sauce makers. I hit him up for more and he said that this season he could supply me with reaper for $25/kg. That's cheaper than I can grow them.

Old rule of supply and demand I guess.

I prolly can Rob.

Swampy, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You've got nothing to loose by testing the waters.

The bland Kiwi palette is slowly changing.

Swampy, you should have a crack at it.  Sharing the love with folks without your green thumb is a good thing to do esp if it offsets your costs and helps fund next years grow off. Even with $25/kg reapers existing I bet 99.9995% of new zealands don't know about it, I certainly didn't.
While we are talking about growers there is a guy in Auckland I want to meet.  He drops occasionly drops pods off to my girlfriends Dads vet clinic and they often end up with me.  He seems to knows what he is doing as they are nice looking superhots generally.  Last year he delivered some chutney which was spicy, king naga seeds and some superhot powders.  The year before that there were dried Gringo killers and bhuts.  Apparently he is a guitar teacher... ring a bell with anyone?

Robisburning said:
Swampy, you should have a crack at it.  Sharing the love with folks without your green thumb is a good thing to do esp if it offsets your costs and helps fund next years grow off. Even with $25/kg reapers existing I bet 99.9995% of new zealands don't know about it, I certainly didn't.

While we are talking about growers there is a guy in Auckland I want to meet.  He drops occasionly drops pods off to my girlfriends Dads vet clinic and they often end up with me.  He seems to knows what he is doing as they are nice looking superhots generally.  Last year he delivered some chutney which was spicy, king naga seeds and some superhot powders.  The year before that there were dried Gringo killers and bhuts.  Apparently he is a guitar teacher... ring a bell with anyone?
I have had the Gringo Killer sauce...lovely flavour. I believe it is made out west somewhere....i think Titirangi.

FYI - 6 moruga seeds for $30 on trademe right now so a pod with seeds in it must be worth almost $100.  Same dude wants almost $9 for shipping by cheaper option.

Robisburning said:
FYI - 6 moruga seeds for $30 on trademe right now so a pod with seeds in it must be worth almost $100.  Same dude wants almost $9 for shipping by cheaper option.
Jesus,$30 for 6 seeds.And those shipping prices.A simple post bag with tracking is $4.50.guy is taking the piss

Swampy_NZ said:
Jesus,$30 for 6 seeds.And those shipping prices.A simple post bag with tracking is $4.50.guy is taking the piss
There are a couple of guys on Trade Me...one is local....who are insane with their pricing. I guess there must be a sucker born every minute if they are still selling on Trade Me.....it seems some people must be begging to be ripped off.
Okay...we have just survived the Yellow Brainstrain tasting....sentencedtoburn will upload this tasting as well as swampy's test pod he sent us, later today.
I was pretty scared based on Nigel Carter review of the Yellow Brainstrain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaOpwkJqO_E

PepperPassion said:
What's the best fertilizer to use? How early and often do you use them?
I was using Flora nova bloom at very light does every watering once they got 4-5 sets of true leaves.You can pretty much use any ferts.The key is low concentrations every watering not high doses at irregular intervals.
once the plants get big they can take a lot more.I also  give them plain water every now and then when they get bigger.The plant will normally tell you what it wants especially with nitrogen.When you see the lower leaves start to yellow and drop its time to up the Nitrogen and when plants are in full pod production its Potassium time  :)

SentencedToBurn said:
Ok Swampy here is your pod here, I'm still getting the hang of the lighting and the 3rd GoPro didnt get enough light etc so not the best, but here is what we have as our first review/test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsz-2TppaL4

And here is our attempt at Darren's Brain strain:

That was a legend effort.  It is quite odd feeling a little empathy during a review, that throat burn looks a bit rough. Starting with an 1/8th is a great idea! I am so inspired I might go do a little sampling from the garden, going to need to up the tolerance a bit it appears. 

Both reviews were great.  Eating hot chillies is such a bloke thing to do, that well sorted garage with the engine hoist in the back ground is the ideal setting. Really looking forward to seeing more videos.

Robisburning said:
That was a legend effort.  It is quite odd feeling a little empathy during a review, that throat burn looks a bit rough. Starting with an 1/8th is a great idea! I am so inspired I might go do a little sampling from the garden, going to need to up the tolerance a bit it appears. 

Both reviews were great.  Eating hot chillies is such a bloke thing to do, that well sorted garage with the engine hoist in the back ground is the ideal setting. Really looking forward to seeing more videos.
Thanks mate! I'm quite keen to see if Darren is happy to talk about different methods of growing that he's done, and also once I get my heating into my greenhouse do a small thing on how that all works as it's real simple way to automate your cooling/heating. But yeah will definitely be adding lots more.

Most reviews start with a pod and a knife. You guys grabbed the whole brainstain plant and showed the pod coming off the plant which in good context for the video.  It would be great to get a look at some of the other plants in there and any info Darren is willing to share.

I am working on a raspberry pi controller for a greenhouse which I will make the software for free for chilli growers.  Will probably use a car window regulator to actuate window and be solar powered. I currently have an stc-1000 running my brew fridge and it would probably work fine off mains for a greenhouse although wouldn't hanlde any humidity control, watering or anything like that.
Just did a garden raid.  Only aji benitos ripe at the moment ~50k SHU.  Delicious if not the hottest thing out there.

Robisburning said:
Most reviews start with a pod and a knife. You guys grabbed the whole brainstain plant and showed the pod coming off the plant which in good context for the video.  It would be great to get a look at some of the other plants in there and any info Darren is willing to share.

I am working on a raspberry pi controller for a greenhouse which I will make the software for free for chilli growers.  Will probably use a car window regulator to actuate window and be solar powered. I currently have an stc-1000 running my brew fridge and it would probably work fine off mains for a greenhouse although wouldn't hanlde any humidity control, watering or anything like that.
Just did a garden raid.  Only aji benitos ripe at the moment ~50k SHU.  Delicious if not the hottest thing out there.
Awesome about the RPi, would be very keen to try it out when it's done. I'm currently using STC-1000 to control cooling, hooking up the heater soon for this winter. Just insulated the floor so am all ready to do my winter grow. Would be awesome to do a thing on your setup when it's done - open source green house automation, that's awesome dude.

Good effort on the reviews fellas, would be awesome to see somebody else review one of my chillis to get a comparison on tolerance levels and general flavor descriptions etc. Hanging out to try 'Devil's brain' personally, hopefully you guys get the opportunity to review that this season.

Back