• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Great Kiwi Pepper Thread

solid7 said:
You need to adjust your nutrients... The leaves are too big, and there's not very many of them. I can understand not wanting to top them and bush out, but the plants are too stretched. By that height, your bases should be hardened off, and you ought to be well into the pod business. No place for pods on those plants!

If you were going for prize foliage, I'd give you kudos.
If you're referring to the pic I posted above, yup I think you're right about the nutes, will play around a bit next season.

They came right in the end, although I can't seem to find good pics with more ripe pods on those plants. I fed them tons of nitrogen until they hit the roof, and then changed to bloom. Wanted to get them as large as possible first.

The pic below is before I had that many ripe ones, I'm sure I've taken some shots of the greenhouse a few weeks after this but can't find it.

2016_06_04_12_53_59.jpg

solid7 said:
You need to adjust your nutrients... The leaves are too big, and there's not very many of them. I can understand not wanting to top them and bush out, but the plants are too stretched. By that height, your bases should be hardened off, and you ought to be well into the pod business. No place for pods on those plants!

If you were going for prize foliage, I'd give you kudos.

im pretty sure those photos are from the middle of winter. Gets down to around / slightly below freezing in those parts at that time of year :)
not my plants, but IMO, those plants are pretty young hence not very many nodes. and are a bit long/ no pods due to the time of year & temp.
not bad for the time of year.  95% of my plants would be dead at the time that was posted.
Scroll back a couple of pages..I think his nutes are just fine.

nzchili said:

im pretty sure those photos are from the middle of winter. Gets down to around / slightly below freezing in those parts at that time of year :)
not my plants, but IMO, those plants are pretty young hence not very many nodes. and are a bit long/ no pods due to the time of year & temp.
not bad for the time of year.  95% of my plants would be dead at the time that was posted.
Yeah that shot (I think) that was referred to, the plants were 7 weeks old.

How are your seeds, anything coming up yet? I just planted out a few seedlings into 1L pots, have heaps more popping through now, will be planting out some tomorrow night too I think.

Young or not, they are stretched. Regardless of whether plants would be dead outside, this is indoor hydro greenhouse.

It was meant to be a constructive criticism. I saw the pic with the pods, and with a bit of nutrient adjustment, you could easily have 10 times the number of pods on any one of those plants. Which, if I'm raising peppers, is what I'm ultimately after.

Congrats on raising a crop start to end. Not everyone makes it that far. Now to fine tune. ;)

SentencedToBurn said:
Yeah that shot (I think) that was referred to, the plants were 7 weeks old.

How are your seeds, anything coming up yet? I just planted out a few seedlings into 1L pots, have heaps more popping through now, will be planting out some tomorrow night too I think.

Na, checked yesterday and not even any hooks. Hoping some show soon lol..
May take a bit longer then normal I guess. Did a bit of a half ass job of planting them. Just threw seeds into pots and thew them in hot water cupboard. No special treatment this time.
Some seeds were questionable as well. (i.e ones that i saved at the last minute from old, half rotten pods)
Going on 2 weeks now since I planted them..should see some life soon or ill need to start thinking about doing it again with a little more love, lol

SentencedToBurn said:
I started mine about a week ago, already have a bunch of reapers and beni highlands started. Growing a bunch of dorset nagas again this year too. Just doing my 50L growbags again, will try to do large batches of my fermented sauce, to see if I can get the recipe replicated and see if I can actually get registered and sell them this time.

If you need some seeds let me know, free of charge dude. Don't buy off TMe, they charge like $10 for 10 moruga seeds or some crap like that. You still have enough time to get them started. PM me your postal address I'll send you an envelope with a few varieties.

Cheers SentencedToBurn sent you a PM with a few questions.  Would also like to ask others, I am looking to grow my seedings that I have in buckets as I will be moving to a new place so don't want to plant them out in the ground.  I know I will have smaller plants with less fruit but any ideas where I can get said cheap buckets just to get me through this season and next year I will have a nice bit of land to plant them out.

Cheers

Kordster

Kordster said:

Cheers SentencedToBurn sent you a PM with a few questions.  Would also like to ask others, I am looking to grow my seedings that I have in buckets as I will be moving to a new place so don't want to plant them out in the ground.  I know I will have smaller plants with less fruit but any ideas where I can get said cheap buckets just to get me through this season and next year I will have a nice bit of land to plant them out.

Cheers

Kordster
10L buckets is as small as you wanna go, but yeah if you can get 30L growbags off trademe, and good soil, you'll be sorted. Not too heavy to move, and still big enough plants.

SentencedToBurn said:
10L buckets is as small as you wanna go, but yeah if you can get 30L growbags off trademe, and good soil, you'll be sorted. Not too heavy to move, and still big enough plants.
I see mitre 10 has 20L buckets for $7 otherwise it's grow bags, I will be moving them pretty much next door so it's not a big move so I'm thinking 30L grow bags maybe the way to go :) just wanna get some fruit for this season and I can have a dedicated area next season and maybe a greenhouse

Planted out about 25 seedlings into my growbags on Sunday, then Monday arvo there was a bloody hailstorm. The plants arent totally munted but all have ripped leaves at the top, etc. Lucky i topped them about 2 weeks ago so they've already got new leaves just starting to come through so fingers crossed will be sweet.

I still have about 8-10 seedlings sitting in the greenhouse just in case, along with D3monic's crosses I'm growing out for him, so lucky all that is safe.

IMG_20161101_064823.jpg

IMG_20161101_064830.jpg

Swampy_NZ said:
A place for all us fellow kiwis to share and discus our projects and ideas.
With the new law just introduced prohibiting seed importation into New Zealand it is going to be harder to find those certain seeds you have been after.
Hopefully with the growing popularity of pepper growing here we can get together and spread the love around.
So jump in and introduce yourselves and show us what you have been up to.

This year I have Dorset Nagas, Reapers, Yellow Scorpions, Choc Bhuts, Cayennes and BigJims.I have also just put down some Peach,Yellow and Red Bhuts and fatalli and red 7 pots.

Nice little green house...what are the dimensions? 

Just a few random photos of how things are shaping up this year. Off to a slow start.

Have a few plants that survived the winter coming back to life. One of them (aji verde) is set to be a monster.
IMG_1664_zpsqkifdfvf.jpg

wild fiji peppers
IMG_1667_zps23driyyw.jpg

IMG_1668_zpstifrkf6c.jpg

volunteer pube
IMG_1665_zpsikarrhop.jpg

tough pubes, planted a few of these..all are pretty similar to this one.
IMG_1678_zps5dghki1z.jpg

box of random peppers..I think there are reapers, and maybe some farmers jalapeno? not sure lol..will have to wait and see..

IMG_1656_zpszm4dkd66.jpg

This year has been very un organised. I think iv had more plants sprout themselves in my dirt / pots / compost then Iv tried to sprout myself and many of them iv left them to it..so this will be a year of unknowns

A few more pics from the garden...slow start to the season but things are looking nice and green.

a bucket of volunteers
IMG_1719_zpsh0rmakuu.jpg

"BP3" - Iv got 3 or 4 of these going this year.
IMG_1721_zpsjwwizuwq.jpg

pube. I think its a costa rica rocoto. have 3 or 4 of these as well
IMG_1717_zpsejfyb8ih.jpg

both of these are junglee mircha's  (thats "wild chili/pepper") in hindi
IMG_1716_zpssszognt6.jpg

put these into one of my raised beds..my guess is they are farmers jalapeno..or maybe lamba mircha (long chili/pepper) in hindi. That's a pube of some kind behind them.
IMG_1729_zpsjg7sdeeu.jpg

and I put some reapers (i think) into the ground..they are all planted in two's...firstly because they have been together since seeds so didn't want to ruin the roots. Second they are in the ground so will have as much space as they want for their roots. I planted 3 lots of 2. (so 6 of them)

IMG_1726_zpszeyoogsz.jpg

IMG_1727_zpsspzrllzx.jpg

IMG_1728_zpsqph4kjxd.jpg

Hows all the other NZ brothers going?? Post how things are shaping up! Very quite start for the NZ crew it seems.

Looks awesome bro!

My seedlings that got smashed with hail the day after I planted them out have all survived. I think that hail contributed to extra growth - they are the bushiest plants I've ever had. Some are still struggling, some are doing really good. Will post pics later today or tomorrow when I get home.

Also my indoor hydro plants - already a few ripe white nagas, and a couple of ripe red morugas. So good to have fresh pods before Xmas. Otherwise wish such late summer I think I'll be lucky to have any fresh outdoor ones before March.

Madhatter123 said:
my reaper failed to regrow :(
Where are you based? I can hook you up with a spare plant or two.

SentencedToBurn said:
Looks awesome bro!

My seedlings that got smashed with hail the day after I planted them out have all survived. I think that hail contributed to extra growth - they are the bushiest plants I've ever had. Some are still struggling, some are doing really good. Will post pics later today or tomorrow when I get home.

Also my indoor hydro plants - already a few ripe white nagas, and a couple of ripe red morugas. So good to have fresh pods before Xmas. Otherwise wish such late summer I think I'll be lucky to have any fresh outdoor ones before March.

Good to hear they are bouncing back after being Auto-topped by the hail :)
Its going to be a good few months till I have any super hots. Iv got a pube that's set a few pods & an annum with ripe peppers though so all good. Cooking needs are sorted.
My chinense are probably still a month or so away from even flowering. 

They are looking happy though and so far the pests have stayed away..lots of the aphid wasps around.

I saw a few psyllid eggs the other week but nothing seems to have come of that...plants look clean. Maybe they are starting to get some natural predators or something. Have not sprayed with anything yet this year.

Iv been using that fert you gave me, the dynagrow "grow" one..they seem to like it. Did you say your friend was the dealer for it or something? Would be keen on some more =D 

SentencedToBurn said:
Looks awesome bro!

hey mate am in auckland, whereabouts are you?

nzchili said:
Good to hear they are bouncing back after being Auto-topped by the hail :)
Its going to be a good few months till I have any super hots. Iv got a pube that's set a few pods & an annum with ripe peppers though so all good. Cooking needs are sorted.
My chinense are probably still a month or so away from even flowering. 

They are looking happy though and so far the pests have stayed away..lots of the aphid wasps around.

I saw a few psyllid eggs the other week but nothing seems to have come of that...plants look clean. Maybe they are starting to get some natural predators or something. Have not sprayed with anything yet this year.

Iv been using that fert you gave me, the dynagrow "grow" one..they seem to like it. Did you say your friend was the dealer for it or something? Would be keen on some more =D 

Hey my mate was a distributor, but he's stopped doing it now, so these ferts are what we had left spare that he gave me. I can hook you up with some mid range stuff - i stil have a few left, you can have one or two bottles if you want, it's the one that's a mix of both bloom and grow. it seems to do ok.

And yeah I haven't sprayed a single time yet - but I did use the predatory mites at the start as I saw broad mites starting. I tell you, those predatory mites from Bioforce are bloody legendary dude, worth their weight in gold.
Madhatter123 said:
hey mate am in auckland, whereabouts are you?
Takanini here, let me know if you're around my area this weekend, I can give you a couple of plants. A couple are from my mate's seedlings, he was gonna biff them but I had spare pots so planted them out, and a couple are from my own seeds. They're pretty small still, but if you pot them out they should give you some fruit by March or maybe April the latest I reckon.

Back