food The Last Great Pizza Thread

Here's the unbaked pie I entered this past weekend in the "Throwndown"....it's the "Cornmeal with Wild Schroom's". If you want to see the finished product check out the TD page.
There's some nice originality from the member's that participated.....good luck to all

thanks
Greg

IMG_2438.jpg

Cooking 5 pizzas tonight, one with the lot, proscuitto and potato, vegetarian, meat lovers and a suprise dessert pizza. Will posts later

Booma,

cool man,....apple pie pizza, that's the bomb. My kid should see that one. His college house mate's would devour that one!
Do you have the "wood burner"...or did you whack those babies under the broiler for the finish?
Nice job, I skipped breakfest this morning and all I'm looking at is food right now.....dam

Greg

That's a nice pizza oven but you are leaving them in too long. And are you turning them?

The Hawaiian looks closest to being correctly cooked. You'll get the hang of it.

Thin pizzas with little toppings do best in wood-fired ovens, possibly this is what you are doing wrong. You are burning them because they require more cook time but the heat it too intense. Some of those look too thick.

Wish I had a wood-bunring pizza oven.

Yeah wood fired oven. Only just finished building it.
Pizzas are getting turned. Think the problem is the dome of the oven is at a good heat but the floor was a bit too hot for the first few pizzas.
The last 2 to come out were a lot closer to what i was aiming for. 3/5king i also do like a little char, some of it was a bit too much, but you tend to not notice with the taste from the wood oven
Proscuitto and pumpkin didnt link last time
SDC10996.jpg

Amazing oven keep the pics coming.

Hey Booma,

Your making me hungry again,

If true, ....High Hydration, High Protein Flour, High Oven Temp = High Oven Spring........what % water, type of flour, and temp at the oven floor do you use?

I'm just curious......so many variables with pizza and bread dough in a clay/brick oven...........now, time for dinner...

Greg

WAIT A DAMN MINUTE! How did booma miss the Pizza TD?

Only just registered, the day the competition ended was the day i signed up haha. oh well next time.

Looks like mates are popping over tonight after a round of golf, so fire up the oven again.

If true, ....High Hydration, High Protein Flour, High Oven Temp = High Oven Spring........what % water, type of flour, and temp at the oven floor do you use?
485grams of caputoo 00 flour, 360mls of water, pinch of sugar and salt, teaspoon of yeast.

Oven floor is approx 350deg to 400 deg celsius (700deg fahrenheit)

Also i do make the dough by hand very thin, almost see throught but still does rise quite a lot, especially the crust, going to watch the temps a little closer tonight, see how it goes.

If you use the quote button we can tell which words are yours. :D

I'll try the quote button next time, never used it on any forum before.
Couple of different pizzas from tonight. I think that the main reason i tend to burn the edges a little is a mixture of talking and Drinking with everyone, sometimes forget that im still cooking.
Sausage Pizza
SDC11004.jpg

Pepper Pizza with Sudden Death
SDC11006.jpg

Beef and Asparagus with Honey Mustard
SDC11005.jpg

Cheese and Vegemite
SDC11007.jpg

and the favorite of the night Chocolate Strawberry and Marshmallow
SDC11015.jpg

SDC11018.jpg

Only just registered, the day the competition ended was the day i signed up haha. oh well next time.

Looks like mates are popping over tonight after a round of golf, so fire up the oven again.

485grams of caputoo 00 flour, 360mls of water, pinch of sugar and salt, teaspoon of yeast.

Oven floor is approx 350deg to 400 deg celsius (700deg fahrenheit)

Also i do make the dough by hand very thin, almost see throught but still does rise quite a lot, especially the crust, going to watch the temps a little closer tonight, see how it goes.

AH.................................."window pane"......................I can see it now., and "00" the flour of the Gods.
It's very difficult to obtain a see throw skin unless you "toss" it. or run it through a sheeter as they do here in the pizza kitchens. A couple of passes through and then docking the dough. will do the trick But to stretch the dough thin by hand is an "art". Difficult for the meek and inexpierenced.......you seem to have the talent.
If I had one of those burners I'd be making bread every day. One of my friends is a "stone mason" by trade. We've kicked about the idea to build from scratch......I've got the idea on the outside, and I do have some house brick left from when we built. I'd like to throw some of that in with some lannon stone.......hmm.....sounds like a summer project
and a few brews .

Greg

Oh and the dough is made with OO Farina Italian Flour, dry yeast, water, honey, salt, olive oil, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.

000_0540.jpg

hello Jay T!
my friend u could say the quantities of ingredients? i need to try this dough!! :D
thanks

Greg you will need more than "house brick". It will never hold up to the temps. You need fire brick.

Absolutely,.......lol, firebrick, and then some. That's how I built my firepit.....the outsides only for show,......... not for glow

Greg

Back