food The Last Great Pizza Thread

Several years ago I got 2 stones.

One I got at Sonoma Williams (paid way too much) a big honkin' rectagular stone that was a mac daddy for my gas stove when we were in the big dry ditch. It was great for crisping up a pie.

The other I got at Wally World that was a smaller circular stone and was cheaper but was a total waste of $$ because the gas grill I had at time never got hot enough to use it effectively, which is also one reason I don't like gas grills.

I have a new Kenmore electric stove now and while it heats up pretty fast for an electric, who wants to wait a half hour to 45 minutes to get the stone up to proper temp?

The pizza screen is definitely the way to go for the electric.

Cast iron is always a good choice for pizza as well, 'specially that Chicago sheeit they pawn off as pizza that they call "deep dish".

Nobody uses cast iron here for a Deep Dish........lol
That's meant for dat Jalapeno Corney Bread...

Nobody uses cast iron here for a Deep Dish........lol
That's meant for dat Jalapeno Corney Bread...

Don't underestimate the power of some hungry drunks with leftover BBQ!

This is an old one.

We just mojoficated all over ourselves.

Dough was flour, yeast, busch light, salt, sugar, and olive oil. Beat it off for 10 min in the Kitchen aid. Let it rise for an hour. Took a while to get it up.
Cut off some for the chilluns, made a simple pizza w/ cheese and black olives on the stone.

The rest was tossed flat and placed into a 12-in CI. The skillet was coated with olive oil, sea salt, and garlic prior to dough insertion.
Put 2 pounds of leftover pulled pork, tossed in homemade miami-carolina bbq sauce, into the deep dish.
Topped with cheddar and mozzarella. Jalapeno rings added for some pansy-ass heat.
Brushed the edges with more olive oil, sprinkled with salt and garlic.
Baked it like it stole something.
The rest is when in rome.
SoFlo lives on.

DOH!
IMG_2582.jpg

Man Gravy!
IMG_2583.jpg

Porking the Pizza.
IMG_2584.jpg

FD Blowing Something
IMG_2589.jpg

Delish...
IMG_2590.jpg

Eat This!!!
IMG_2593.jpg

I say yes.

Around these parts,, rules are interpreted loosely.

And you have enough clout now to do whatever the f**k you want.

Let's see a motherflippin calzone, Grant!

IMG_4453.jpg

Haha..........You're right! I've cooked over camp fires before............Hey, how did the CI get into the photo?

Sheet and because of that, now I'm blind and can't type sheet out without an occasional edit!....sheeez!

Lol the funny thing is I can imagine how excited you were for every single thing in that picture, and how it was going to totally revolutionize and improve the way you make pizza.

I'm that guy too.

Grant. I love calzones, and I vote yes too. Of course, you post shit wherever the hell you feel like it anyway so why ask? :lol:

Lol the funny thing is I can imagine how excited you were for every single thing in that picture, and how it was going to totally revolutionize and improve the way you make pizza.

I'm that guy too.

Agree...........a couple of those I used back in the 70's at "Orlando's".........when I was a teen......I'm not much older now........right?..........Har,Har

ok, ok, ok ... we've been making "American" stromboli/calzone/scacciata lately in place of pizza ... "American" because it's more like a folded, calzone-esque stromboli, but has ricotta + spinach ...

We made one the other night that had red cherry hot slices and black olives ...

A8CAD928-9E8C-4127-B265-1FA17F127A0F-930-00000C5DB4274F3A.jpg

A80D0F07-5155-4B4D-9661-86B8B6E74837-930-00000C5DAD5D0E5A.jpg

E6681EBC-E57F-4545-BD14-29CE9B5F63C0-930-00000C5DA8CF85C3.jpg

B78450BE-3262-4951-A832-BF9E412093FF-930-00000C5DA585C933.jpg

AB250407-DA19-43E8-B7D1-1E437D01C3A0-930-00000C5D9BFB8704.jpg

And we just made one earlier that had turkey pep (D's into the turkey version of pep - I'm like "WBW" - "whatever baby wants" :rolleyes: ) ...

6540EE6F-269A-44BD-BB5C-BDB63FC2249D-930-00000C5D98D17D82.jpg

BBED9745-E032-4611-A9F0-1B494FB8DC00-930-00000C5D957C5495.jpg

70C4F57D-F30E-4C54-B8A6-03B2E5CBC0BC-930-00000C5D920D99C8.jpg

2177F4B3-B314-4A5B-9A4E-BF9C2C69BB23-930-00000C5D8EE295F6.jpg

B81112FC-42D3-4601-9130-B865AC4B18AA-930-00000C5D8A5E9731.jpg

I like having the control over the sauce to be honest ... I like some bites w/ and some w/o ...

One of these days I'll get to have one w/ ham ... if and when I make it! :party:

Nice Cal-Zone................Did you go heavy on the Garlic?

indeed ... the ricotta and spinach has some egg yolk, plenty of garlic, and more than a little bit of montegrappa cheese via zester ...

Danielle likes a little more spinach than I'd have by choice, but I'm happy not to slave in the kitchen over the 475F oven in August (in Florida), so ...

Not enough cheese when you cut a calzone it should ooze think of it as a folded over pizza, if you look at yours it's about half a pizza's cheese.

Egg yolk? No binders in a calzone, that's why the cheese is stuck inside and not oozing!

What you made is a quiche. I'd eat it, but it's a quiche.

Not enough cheese when you cut a calzone it should ooze think of it as a folded over pizza, if you look at yours it's about half a pizza's cheese.

Egg yolk? No binders in a calzone, that's why the cheese is stuck inside and not oozing!

We agree re: the lack of moz ... but the binder in the ricotta is probably sticking around ... there's too much spinach, too ...

I like your crust but they need to be fuller and puff up more, due to the amount of cheese inside, and pressing the ends down a little more so you get that sloping up look to the giant amount of goodness.

TB's Almost Cracker Style Pizza Revisited.

More pizza mayhem y'all.

This ones, mozz, roasted garlic, green olive, anchovie, and pickled chiltepins.

IMG_3928.jpg

I rolled this one out thinner by almost half over the last pie I baked.

IMG_3929.jpg

Dice are rollin'!

IMG_3931.jpg

475f and a thinner crust should be about right huh?

IMG_3932.jpg

Looks great. Tastes great. What's not to like?

FAIL!

Still not a proper cracker style crust. This came out as a super thin crust, but not a crisp super light cracker style. And the nice browning on the bottom of the pie was totally MIA.

IMG_3935-1.jpg

Here's where I screwed the pooch y'all. I put a half sheet pan on the rack underneath the rack I was baking the pie just in case any spillage occurred so I wouldn't have a mess to clean up. Well y'all, that just don't cut it. The oven could be 900f but I effectively used the sheet pan as a blocker and no way was it going to allow the bottom of the pie to crisp.

I couldn't have made a more glaring rookie error. DUH!

NOTE TO SELF: Consider return to drunken cheffery.

Well, it looks tasty, even if the texture wasn't what you were going for. I always bake my crust a tad before putting the toppings on - have you tried that with this cracker style yet?

I've got the oven preheating for another loaf of rosemary fatalii garlic focaccia, and was looking at your pie thinking at some time I should try pizza using focaccia dough for the crust, just not let it rise much after putting it into the pan.

Back