food The Last Great Pizza Thread

G, focaccia makes for a great pizza. I wouldn't change a thing on it.

Scovie, I'm trying to stay away from par baking. Its not typical of the style and not only that but I'd feel just dirty doing it.

Y'all just wait till I bring my ghetto style to the outdoor pizza t-down!

Hell you pay my way, beer me, and feed me, and I'll do your outdoor oven for free! Of course, if you did the same for Scovie, it just might cost a meelion.

TB made school pizza! Bwahahaha. Remember that limp crust (non) dough pizza. I think they used cookie sheets as deflectors too :rofl: TB got schooled by a sheet pan.

I'm a par-baker myself.

But between the pizza stone, my coordination, the parchment...and maybe the wine/whiskey,

anytime I actually get a pizza crust to turn out right, it's a bloody miracle!!!!!!

Sum's tryin' to teach me about oven humidity, but with my one-rack-redneck-oven....that's proving to be more oven gymnastics than I'm equipped for! Yet, hysterical to watch! :rofl:

We actually didn't get "real" pizza where I went to school when I was growing up. We got what I'm going to call a "pan thing" - the crust was more like bread than crust, and yellow like it used corn flour, maybe a combo of corn meal and flour. The topping was all finely-ground meat and onion with some kind of seasoning similar to taco seasoning on it. There was a lot of topping, mind you, maybe a layer close to half an inch deep - not at all like one sees on a "real" pizza. I can't remember if there was cheddar shredded on top or not, maybe yes, maybe no. But they still called it pizza, and I actually liked the stuff. Weird.

We actually didn't get "real" pizza where I went to school when I was growing up. We got what I'm going to call a "pan thing" - the crust was more like bread than crust, and yellow like it used corn flour, maybe a combo of corn meal and flour. The topping was all finely-ground meat and onion with some kind of seasoning similar to taco seasoning on it. There was a lot of topping, mind you, maybe a layer close to half an inch deep - not at all like one sees on a "real" pizza. I can't remember if there was cheddar shredded on top or not, maybe yes, maybe no. But they still called it pizza, and I actually liked the stuff. Weird.

Bwahahaha we had this too. There was the rectangular one with the regular flavor and on some Fridays we had Fiestada pizza, shaped like a stop sign with taco seasoning and some orange cheese and crumbled meat :lol:. Yeah we liked them too.

TB made school pizza! Bwahahaha. Remember that limp crust (non) dough pizza. I think they used cookie sheets as deflectors too :rofl: TB got schooled by a sheet pan.

I don't deny my FAIL.

At least I posted (ahem) pics!

Yeah G, I mostly brown bagged it when going to school but every now and then did the cafeteria 'thang. I 'member trying the "pizza" just as you described it. As a military kid we moved every year or two and no matter the school I attended, that pizza crap was the exactly the same every where. AWFUL.

The only 'thang I liked from any of the school cafeteria's was a well known traditional Texas dish called Frito Pie.

I don't know anyone who doesn't like Frito Pie.

Frito Pie wasnt even in my New Englander Roast Beef and Potatoe lovin' mothers mind back then or now for that matter.

Our Pizza in school resembled an Ellios pizza always rectangle with sauce and cheese accompanied with a salad EVERY Thursday for Elementry School, Middle and High School you knew what Thursdays hot lunch was

I should hug my mom right now, 'cause I've never heard of this "frito pie" ...
Frito_Pie-5.jpg

LOL - I was very abused - neva' eva' had that. Still havent, been close with fritos in my chili. Childhood was always Pot Roast on Sunday, Meatloaf, Pork Chops, American Goulash and everything fairly bland. Thursdays the Family went out to dinner and Fridays Mom and Dad went out to dinner - Hence I started cooking and found the spiceiestnex

In order to keep this on track someone must now make a Frito pie pizza. Crushed Fritos in crust?

I should hug my mom right now, 'cause I've never heard of this "frito pie" ...
Frito_Pie-5.jpg

That's the sheeit right there!

And well worth posting the pic a second time.

LD, you didn't have it all bad.

You had me at American Goulash.

Ma used to make a traditional Hungarian goulash but she also made a 'Merican version which was more or less mac & cheese with stewed tomatoes, ground beef, and oversized elbow macaroni. It was awesome!!

In order to keep this on track someone must now make a Frito pie pizza. Crushed Fritos in crust?

Thats a great idea!

I'll have to file that one for now though as I have a crap load of food to use up first this weekend.

Frito Pie Pizza.

I can dig it!

In NY we'd still just call it a Frito Pie! Or maybe a Frito Pie Pie. :lol:

Yes, someone get on this pronto it's begging to be done.

Frito chips and chili is Frito pie? Ohhh I love that stuff. They do that in-the-bag thing at the County Fair.
One of those and two three-wheeled trailors down... INDIAN TACOS.
Those, and the cute little bunny wabbitts is all there is worth going for.

I am not a pizza maker guy, but I am going to watch TB makin Frito crust pizza.
Sounds like something I could handle without feeling like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

In TX, Frito Pies are required by law.... :lol:

Would love to see TB do a Frito Pie pizza; that would be amazing!

Back