food The Last Great Pizza Thread

ib3s3jmLPshSM.jpg

I have only that pic... Top had broken during cooking.
Ingredients:
red onion marinated with evo oil, salt balck pepper a night in fridge.
Mozzarella
Asiago
A bit of Maasdam
Tomato puree
Lots of hot pepperoni

Dough with that flour: http://www.farine-garofalo.com/w350.php
500g and 3g of beer yeast...
Kneaded, let rise for 12 hours, formed balls, other 14 hours in fridge, then 5 hours weahter (outside) temp, other 5 hours on house temp.
Tot 36 hours of rise.
There were some funny bobbles...

I think that has been my best pizza ever. Excellent dough, somewhat i was lucky and ingredients and cooking were amazing.  In particular that cheap pepperoni werea ctaully good, similar to 'nduja. That with red onions is one of the best toppings for pizza. And more lucky cause 9 people tasted it and said it was great (lol, usually you perform bad in that situations).
Now i want to try some other stuff for long time rising...

Ok, new approach to my pizza. I used a method by Marco Lungo that has a famous recipe.
I've just mistaken, and by a mile, measures...
I needed 600-650g of dough.
What did i?
I used 600g of flour (450 flour+150 wheat).
And 550g water (that's a lot, over 90% hydration, i needed 75-85%).
28 hours in fridge, i suppose i could have waited another full day... + 4 hours at weater temp.
Dough was way too much, nearly twice as needed.
And i used 500g of mozz. Half should have been good, too much liquid (and i dried it for 2 hours). That was a problem.
Cooked a max temp for 12 mins at lower place with only tomato, added the rest then 4 mins at highest place, other 4 mins at 2nd high place because of mozz. Too much cooking.

Next time i'll do pizza i try again with correct doses.

Here the result:

i6UveU7Wx7fjb.jpg

ibs7ybUBCNu4JS.jpg

iB7v9cFrVF6xC.jpg

Not that it was bad but must improve.

Thanks guys, but it wasn't special, this is better:

irwkTt0iuKq9.jpg

ibxdbNNU0X59i.jpg

ivRFt0IqNG9Tu.jpg

Ingredients: half red onion marinated in a bit of evo, salt and bp, hot sausage (more or less pepperoni), buffalo mozz, tomato.

Dough:
50g of durum wheat De Cecco
300g of flour Garofalo W350
300g water at fridge temp (4°C)
1g sugar
9g salt
3g beer yeast

Put 60% of water in a bowl then mix sugar, yeast and wheat. Mix well for 5 minutes then wait 10.
Add flour and 30% of water kneading well it is not so sticky.
Add salt and rest of water, mix/knead for other 3-4 minutes until is homogeneous.
Fold dough some times.
Wait 1h at home temp.
Wait 60h on fridge.
Form a ball and wait 4h at home temp.
Brush baking tray with oil, flatten dough and put on tray.
Brush dough with some tomato puree.
Cook at lowest position and max temp for 7-8 mins
Top with all and cook in top position for 7-8 mins.
Top with pepper powder.
Ready!

Probabily best pizza i've posted here. I can't say crust is perfect but dough was cooked very very well, soft and completely cooked (and yes, that seems more wet than pizza above, but felt actually more cooked being more soft).

Guud lookin' pie as usual Essi.

I like that you don't load up too much on the toppings.

The crust on that one also looks like it has a good chew to it and while I prefer thinner cracker style crusts that one looks to have a buttery succulent focaccia quality to it.

I'd eat that like a skirt wearin' french chef.

With a knife and fork.

Tres bon.

texas blues said:
I like that you don't load up too much on the toppings.
Yeah, in the end pizza is all about quality ingredients and not in extreme quantity. At least imho. If i had topped more i had to cook more and crust would have been less "fresh".
To tell the truth i too liked better thin pizza.
Then i tasted true Napoli style and changed my mind (no, Napoli style is not the norm where i live, more Roma style...). The problem is that pizza verace requires very high temps so now i'm making that try pizzas (and aren't bad).

cypresshill1973 said:
As always Esegi ... makes me want to bite the screen 

one master pizza chef!
Ha ha tanks CH, but not really, for the moment i just want to use properly from my oven, then i'll see! :D

I"m thinking another pizza throwdown may be in order....

Get out all the heavy hitters!!!

Me and sum will get drunk and do some stupid artisan shit just to be fools, then watch the masters at work! 

I know i could have put some effort for TD, but i had guests so... And must experiment.
Similar to last one (different timings an ingredients ratio for dough).
Toppings: mozz (not buffalo), olives, red onion (marinated in evo, salt, bp and turmeric), hot sausage.
I love olives, but onions+pepperoni is so awesome that they're good on their own. Turmeric isn't bad, but bp, salt and evo is all what onion asks. Must use it again though...

iC9LfK7wJd0uB.jpg

iKwx95AkGu1hS.jpg

iwiqkGwxchPCe.jpg

Last time was better, still very good that time.

I'd rather eat Essegi's pizza, but until he delivers to Texas, I'll keep trying to make my own.

2a16ci.jpg

24ypjmf.jpg

1pv0p0.jpg

• Wild-yeast (I'm proudest of that), whole-wheat crust
  • Jamaican Hot Chocolate chiles - brilliant, again, in this application
  • Earthy, sweet/tart sauce of paste and tomato chunks and with garlic and marjoram
  • Garlic
  • Onion
  • Turkey sausage
  • Black pepper, coarse-ground
  • Oregano leaves

The 12-inch iron skillet helped me get a nice, round shape for a change.  Crust was then firmed a bit on the stove-top and under the broiler.  (The wild yeast blew up the center something like a gordita; pretty exciting to see that much vigor.)  The firming allowed the crust to be dressed and then hold up directly on the wire oven rack which gave a crispness over the thin expanse of the crust.

If I had a paddle, stones, and a 900°F outdoor oven, I'd use those, I'm sure, but, meanwhile, this beats Dominos in more ways than one.

Jamaican Hot Chocolate? My fave!

Excellent flavors here.

Thank you.  The long/slow JHC fire adds a complexity, I think, that might slow down the eating (but not the drinking).  Guess I don't miss the annuum sting, yet the JHC doesn't skunk things up.

I meant to say I used Essegi's olive oil treatment for the toppings.  The remnants of this—garlic/onion-infused olive oil with black pepper, sausage drippings, and minced JHC—were delicious while the pizza cooked.

Finally, the commingled smells of yeast, garlic, and fresh, bright, young, red wine are my kind of aromatherapy.

I agree I would rather eat Essigi's too, but since he isn't here, I made a couple plain old pies myself.

100_0026.JPG

100_0027.JPG

100_0028.JPG

**hot sauce and pepper powders liberally applied to individual slices as to not end up sleeping on the couch.

Back