food The Last Great Pizza Thread

Its gonna be hot tonight :-)
15207694648_f76015b8a5_b.jpg

This pizza will start out with an Italian Starter Culture...far from being San Fran Sour, this particular strain has that nice yeasty smell that you'd get from an Italian bakery early in the morning...before the daily bread baking.
I have a few containers in a fridge probably close to 20 yrs now. They each have to get fed and reactivated at least every few months. I  originally acquired a starter culture from the Grenada Bakery......which mysteriously burned down.......about 18 yrs ago...

If left alone this poolish would knock the lid off the container and over flow......thus need to be tamed down with the dough whip.

200 g of starter was added to 125 g of bench flour, and 12 g of Salt. The mix was scraped together and formed into a ball.

Dehydrated San Marzano slices were brought back to life with the addition of Spanish Olive Oil.

I'm taking a Mediterranean twist on this pie by adding some..Anchovies, Re-hydrated Tomatoes, Capers, Manchego Cheese, Spanish Chorizo, Fresh Motz, Calabrian Peppers, Artichokes.

Dough was pushed into a 12" disc, topped with a small amount of cheese and the other stuff...

Finished pie......nice and golden.

What made this extra delish were these Calabrian Peppers.....

What magazine did you steal these pics from? :P

VERY nice.

I don't like the raisiny taste of sundried tomatoes. Are dehydrated and rehydrated different tasting? Or do the sugars still concentrate? 

PIC 1 said:

Italian Barese Sausage, Basil, Crimini Mushrooms, Italian Cherry Tomatoes (canned), Fresh Motz, Mild Provolone, backyard Red Bell Pepper.

Dough 475g "00" Flour
              25g Semolina
            325g Water
              15g Salt
                1 packet of ADY Yeast

Oil pan, stretch dough....rest 2 hrs..add squished and drained Cherry Tomatoes, Sausage pieces at 2" intervals, fresh Motz in scattered pieces, 1c of grated Provolone, sliced Bell Pepper and Mushrooms.......grated Parm

550 F for 20 minutes...add torn Basil and more grated Parm

all I can say is the house smells good !......................and yum!
You done kilt that son! Outstanding.

The Hot Pepper said:
What magazine did you steal these pics from? :P

VERY nice.

I don't like the raisiny taste of sundried tomatoes. Are dehydrated and rehydrated different tasting? Or do the sugars still concentrate? 

:P ..........I've had the store bought sun dried and marinaded in oil......those are pretty tough.......and you better sharpen the knife before hand.

Mine were out of my garden and I slow dried them at 95 deg, just until pliable.........I guess they can taste raisin like, probably because of the oil. They're pretty darn sweet and concentrated by themselves...

I'd dig them. Yeah the leathery stuff, NO LIKEY! Something about the leather-like chew and sweetness turns me off. Sweetness doesn't so it's most likely that combo. 

I consider myself a pretty good cook and I have a live SF sourdough for 2 years and make allot of artisan breads/pizzas but pic1 took pizza to a new level. I'm off for the next 2 days and I'm going to work on a few pizzas on my days off. Pic has inspired me lol. I still have fresh basil in my garden and various peppers and herbs for a pizza. I will have to activate my sourdough starter tonight. Its been dormant for over 2 months lol.

ps- looks like I will be using my Kamado Grill at 700-800* for my pizza.

Dammit he needs to get in here, I DID 4 GET! He is a master with a $^$^$^#@*)@) sick wood oven! Where has he beeeeeeeeeeeeeeen?

BOOMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and that is not a full list many masters here!)

No I didn't.

obama_bird.jpeg

The Hot Pepper said:
We definiltey have a few pizza masters here!

Essegi
PIC 1
FreeportBurn
Born2Burn (hasn't posted in awhile, but he posts some damn fine authentic Neapolitans!)
Thanks but just pull me out of that list, my pizza could be good, maybe even very good, but absolutely not at master level. :P

Here an experiment: standard oven dough (just 75% idro instead of 80) and ferrari oven:

Margherita:
i0riVWLMKQWEp.jpg

ibxMIQxiUiFjpV.jpg

iwkrwL0AybvSV.jpg

People said that was good, for me too dry, too cooked. Also, bottom was burnt.

That one with guanciale and after cooking fatalii or moruga powder on my slices:
ibbdgp13bBvMkU.jpg

it1DsCDSLru3a.jpg

ijrFpIcSJphLF.jpg

That was better. Bottom stil a bit burnt.

Nice pies! I'd be happy with most every pizza I've seen the past couple of days ...

Do I need to pull my dough recipe in a particular direction to deal w/ the new temperatures I'm working w/? ...

I had 650 on the stone, and over 1K over top for the last one ...

Burned the top in 75 seconds, bottom didn't cook thoroughly and there was no air pockets in dough ...

Granted, it was the 2-ingredient dough that's been popular of late ...

I just received some A.C. 00 and semolina again, though, so I'll be back to normal for the next round ...

We didn't have an edge created from hand pressing/stretching either, though (Danielle used rolling pin) ...

Just wondering if I should be trying a particular recipe for dough now that I have Neapolitan-esque temperatures in the kettle? ...

Any tips appreciated ...

( See thread at http://thehotpepper.com/topic/51319-grill-grantmichaels-grill/?p=1073694 )

Back