• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Last Great Pizza Thread

'Bout time we had a thread for all those that make their own dough and sauce. Too many good cooks on THP to let something as magnificent as that king of foods, pizza go unnoticed on this forum. This thread however comes with some rules to post...

1) Make your own dough and post the recipe. Thin crust. Whole wheat. Foccacia. NY or Chicago style. Naan....your choice!

2) Make your own sauce and post the recipe. Red. White. Olive oil w/ garlic. Whatever gets your mojo workin'!

3) Mandatory that it brings teh heat. Habs. Serrano's. Bhut's. T-Scorps. Fatalli. Hot sauce's and puree's will qualify. Using wimp sauce's such as Tabasco Brand or Franks will
be ridiculed with extreme prejudice and boooooed heavily!

4) Toppings can be anything. Pepperoni. Avocado. Greek olives. Pulled pork. If it came out of the ground or walked, swam or crawled, its all cool and the gang!

5) Bake them in the oven on a sheet pan. In cast iron. A pizza stone. On the grill. Got a wood fired pizza oven? Have mercy!

6) Pics are mandatory! Anyone can talk smack about it but put up or shut up. No pics? It never happened and ridiculing and boooooing will follow. Capiche?

Alright ya'll, lets get it on.....

Anchovies mmmmm. From a joint. So guud.

anchovy_pie.jpg

It said a hint of anchovy, all you need a is a few, that's a personal pie with about two per slice, perfect!!! That salty bite is so good, adds the briny taste of the sea to a sweet sauce fresh mozz pie...

Umami... :D

Crusts turned out pretty good, not much rise from the dough. I think next time I'll only split it into 4 instead of 5. diastatic malt powder would probably of helped too. Can't wait to afford a nice pizza stone. Or one those grill inserts. It's on my xmas list. 

Oven only goes up to 550. Tossed in for 4 mins before putting toppings on them

First one I made with frozen carribean red habs, moa bonnet and some pepperchini, italian sasuage, thick cut pepperoni, balsamic onions, olives , mushrooms and fresh mozz

Turned out pretty good, a little thin toward the center. would of liked a little more rise out of it. 

Second one I made to bring to work tonight

One my step daughter made

My wifes

I still have one dough left... was so full I couldn't even think about making it. next time i'm doubling the recipe and freezing some dough. 

ColdSmoke said:

How do you make that chili oil on the top left? Looks like you call it "ground pepper oil"

The jar on the left is ground chili pepper oil. For every 1 cup of ground fresh Calabrian Chili's I'll take 1/2 c of both Sun Flower Seed and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.....place all in a cold saute pan, set range burner to low and sweat the mix uncovered for 15 min. Once the oil is at room temp I'll ladle into mason jars to be put into fridge. The center pour has straight Olive Oil and Calabrian Queen Laurie round peppers.....the pour can sit on the counter since no heat was used for the oil. The right jar is a clear Honey that I've added chopped Calabrian's to. It does pick up the heat after a week or two. Great on cream cheese or a tbl into a pizza dough mix.

D3monic said:
Crusts turned out pretty good, not much rise from the dough. I think next time I'll only split it into 4 instead of 5. diastatic malt powder would probably of helped too. Can't wait to afford a nice pizza stone. Or one those grill inserts. It's on my xmas list. 

Oven only goes up to 550. Tossed in for 4 mins before putting toppings on them

First one I made with frozen carribean red habs, moa bonnet and some pepperchini, italian sasuage, thick cut pepperoni, balsamic onions, olives , mushrooms and fresh mozz

Turned out pretty good, a little thin toward the center. would of liked a little more rise out of it. 

Second one I made to bring to work tonight

One my step daughter made

My wifes

I still have one dough left... was so full I couldn't even think about making it. next time i'm doubling the recipe and freezing some dough. 

I can certainly recommend this one.  Mine is about a year old and no issues so far.  Very happy with the results.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E1FDA?keywords=old%20stone%20oven%204467%2014-inch%20by%2016-inch%20baking%20stone&qid=1447461641&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

tctenten said:

I can certainly recommend this one.  Mine is about a year old and no issues so far.  Very happy with the results.  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000E1FDA?keywords=old%20stone%20oven%204467%2014-inch%20by%2016-inch%20baking%20stone&qid=1447461641&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

I like that size too, sent the link to my gf. That should do fine in a grill too right?
PIC 1 said:

Perfect......I new my half baked Deep Dish Spinach, Mushroom, WM Motz, Provolone, Plum Tomato, Pepperoni, Cheddar Pie was missing something ?

THP 's pizza joint pie has givi'in me an idea

Some Anchovie OIL...........but will it go with my Jameson and Coke....... :lol:

Nice deep dish, when ever I order a deep dish I always go for spinach, balsamic onions, pep, mush and olives. The spinach and balsamic onions go really well together. 

D3monic said:

I like that size too, sent the link to my gf. That should do fine in a grill too right?

Nice deep dish, when ever I order a deep dish I always go for spinach, balsamic onions, pep, mush and olives. The spinach and balsamic onions go really well together. 

Yes.  Fits in oven and on my grill.  I have used it in both.  

So, my dad found this meat market that sells everything for super cheap. They brought back this serrano ham, which is basically spanish prosciutto. It was triple this size and only 25$. It yelled pizza to me. That prosciutto and arugula pizza always calls my name. My gf is vegetarian, so only topped half of it.
20151125_194602.jpg

20151125_200602.jpg

This thread is going to see most of my action for 3-4 months, just needs to get like 5F cooler out at night - a matter of just a few weeks now ... pretty excited, actually ... hopefully I'll get there this time ...

Back