• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Little Pepper-Gravy Contest

*** UPDATE: POLL CLOSED, RESULT AT THE END WAS A 3-WAY TIE. STAY TUNED FOR A BIGGER/BETTER PRIZE BOX! ***

biscuits-and-gravy-it-s-still-a-wonderfull-hangover-cure-demotivational-poster-1258309025.jpg

Danielle tells me all the time that biscuits gravy, or pepper gravy, or peppercorn béchamel "is mostly just flour and water" ... but she never makes it, and I don't know the 1st thing about making it!

I like Biscuits and Gravy, but rarely eat it because it's a relatively unhealthy breakfast. That said, on occasion, I want to be able to whip up some killer pepper-gravy ...

I could find a recipe on the Internet and begin to iterate on it, but then I'd have to consume a half-dozen sub-par instances before I'd get a rockin' plate ...

That's where ya'll come in!

Who's got the most bangin' pepper gravy? ...

Up for grabs is a prize box including a pack of Benton's bacon and enough dry-goods from our pantry to fill the space of a box around the bacon ...

BigB turned me on to Benton's a while ago and it's been delightful. I've used the rendered fat time time again to impart a somewhat indescribable smoked flavor to vegetable, wok dinners, burgers - you name it!

The pack up for grabs is perfect for the person who wants to retain the fat, as it's the 3rd fattiest pack of the 4x that I received. The fattiest pack will be used to make bacon fat to give to a friend of mine, the least fatty pack is what I'm keeping to eat, and the 2nd leanest pack already headed off to Waffle Bum.

I'll update the thread as we go, there aren't any rules as per my usual, it will be a popularity contest as voted by multiple choice poll, and there will be at least 72 additional hours from the announcement of the conclusion of the contest window, before it's over.

PoL (Proof of Life) is $0.39 ... anyone who posted current cuisine before this was applied to the contest (~4PM on 6/20) is grandfathered in.

What I want to know is - who's got the ill nasty biscuit gravy?

obama.gif

* Sorry expat's, this one's for US locations only, but feel free to enter for the title, and we can get the prize off to AnySoldier ...

** HI and AK winner's will assume responsibility for whether or not the bacon is fit for consumption after transit from sunny Sarasota, FL ...

Grey ewwww.
That's what would be called a blond roux instead of a white roux actually. Grey just sounds wrong lol. 
5_types_of_roux.jpg

Look at all those Nape headed spoons
The Hot Pepper said:
Grey ewwww.
That's what would be called a blond roux instead of a white roux actually. Grey just sounds wrong lol. 

The rendered sausage fat you use also changes the color a bit but not much. But some people use a white roux and some people cook a bit longer which is technically a blond roux even if other ingredients change the hue... technically speaking. 

I'll confess to never having made a roux ... Danielle's got the roux ...

She's all serious and stuff about it, too - sheesh ...

Tenneessee thing, I guess? ... I know it's a big part of cuisine from Nawlins' too ...

The roux is the basis of this gravy. It's French it just means starting a gravy with flour and fat as the thickener. A bechamel has a roux as well. Etc. etc. 

The darker rouxs are more Cajun, the basic rouxs are used in all cuisines.

yup, remember this coming up w/ the gumbo/jambalaya discourse a few months back ...

was watching that thread, but it faded out ... was hot stuff, or Phil, can't remember ...

i seem to recall JayT had some game in this regard, not sure why though, at this point ...

fucting JayT ... his wife's not going to like me once his box comes, haha ...

The mother sauces! I enjoyed learning about french cooking by reading a great book. It's called The Making of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman, and it follows his culinary training  at the CIA. It was a pretty good read. It really was like going to culinary school but luckily nowhere near the hassle of going through culinary school. I'm currently about to apply to this website called eatwith which is like AIRBNB or uber but for dining at someone's home. Having a hard time finding a public health job that doesn't require me speaking spanish in miami, so I need to make some $ somehow. Anyways, I've got this hot chick who wants to work with me till she goes to St Barth in August and she went to the CIA, so I'm pretty stoked. Could probably learn some things from her for sure

Take people (real estate agent + clients) out in your boat just far enough to close on their real-estate w/o having to pay the tax stamp or whatever, and cater it ... a friend does that here, except they fish instead of cook ...

Smokenfire's Sausage Gravy

First: This is the biscuit recipe I use.  They are consistently great.  Note:  I add a touch more milk and make drop biscuits instead of rolling/patting/cutting.  I prefer drop biscuits as they have more nooks and crannies that get crisped in the oven.  The insides are pillowy soft, but the outsides are craggy crisp - very helpful once the gravy is applied.  :)

Gravy:

2 lbs your favorite sausage - for the batch pictured below I used bob evans original links
2 oz minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 heaping TBSP flour
2 cups milk
2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (substitute pepper powder of choice)
2 pinches dried thyme

Directions:

1. Brown the sausage over medium low heat.  Once the sausage is cooked through remove to a plate (dice if using links).  Keep rendered fat in the pan.

2. Add onion and flour to the pan.  Stir well to incorporate all the flour into the fat.  Continue cooking, stirring often, until you have a nice blond roux, about 10 minutes.

3. Add the garlic, thyme and black pepper to the pan and stir well.  Cook for 2 minutes longer.

4. Add 3/4 of the milk and bring heat up to medium high.  Stir well with a whisk so that the roux is incorporated into the milk.  

5. The mixture will thicken as it comes up to a boil - stir continuously to avoid lumps/scorching as the gravy comes together, about 5 minutes.  

6. Shortly after the gravy starts bubbling you'll notice it thickening.  Continue cooking for another 5 or so minutes to make sure all the flour taste has cooked out of the gravy.  Use the last 1/4 of the milk to thin to your desired consistency.

7. Taste and adjust seasonings with a bit more pepper or salt.

Slice or tear biscuits in half, top with lotsa gravy.  Sprinkle on some of your favorite powder.  Serve with eggs and a couple more links and some excellent coffee.  

Thanks!  :)

710ny8.jpg

I also prefer the blond roux. The white looks too pasty even if it isn't. Like wallpaper glue. It's just a perception thing. More flavor development to boot though. That recipe is spot on.

I have no experience in this, in fact I am somewhat dubious about the whole thing,  as the only time I have had biscuits and gravy was at a country inn and suites at their breakfast bar.  The less said about it the better. 

I think no matter how tasty both components are ,I would still have issues though. I  have an almost OCD thing about texture and soggy biscuits no workee for me. 

They don't really end up soggy, it tastes like gravy on top of fluffy biscuits when done right. Exactly like the pic above. Perhaps we should see some cut in half pics. :D

Ashen said:
I  have an almost OCD thing about texture and soggy biscuits no workee for me. 

I share that thing, to the extent that I power-eat my cereal so that it doesn't get soggy by the time I get to the end.  I've conquered that issue in the above recipe - big part of the reason why I do the drop biscuits.  They come out crunchy and even need a bit of force to cut with the fork.  So long as you're not lollygagging they will not be soggy. :)   

Some people toast the top, Grant... get on that Searzall... I like to keep them fresh and fluffy, it soaks in just a bit. Using tall biscuits is best, break open in middle and you have a nice high half.

Back