• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

The Little Pepper-Gravy Contest

*** UPDATE: POLL CLOSED, RESULT AT THE END WAS A 3-WAY TIE. STAY TUNED FOR A BIGGER/BETTER PRIZE BOX! ***

biscuits-and-gravy-it-s-still-a-wonderfull-hangover-cure-demotivational-poster-1258309025.jpg

Danielle tells me all the time that biscuits gravy, or pepper gravy, or peppercorn béchamel "is mostly just flour and water" ... but she never makes it, and I don't know the 1st thing about making it!

I like Biscuits and Gravy, but rarely eat it because it's a relatively unhealthy breakfast. That said, on occasion, I want to be able to whip up some killer pepper-gravy ...

I could find a recipe on the Internet and begin to iterate on it, but then I'd have to consume a half-dozen sub-par instances before I'd get a rockin' plate ...

That's where ya'll come in!

Who's got the most bangin' pepper gravy? ...

Up for grabs is a prize box including a pack of Benton's bacon and enough dry-goods from our pantry to fill the space of a box around the bacon ...

BigB turned me on to Benton's a while ago and it's been delightful. I've used the rendered fat time time again to impart a somewhat indescribable smoked flavor to vegetable, wok dinners, burgers - you name it!

The pack up for grabs is perfect for the person who wants to retain the fat, as it's the 3rd fattiest pack of the 4x that I received. The fattiest pack will be used to make bacon fat to give to a friend of mine, the least fatty pack is what I'm keeping to eat, and the 2nd leanest pack already headed off to Waffle Bum.

I'll update the thread as we go, there aren't any rules as per my usual, it will be a popularity contest as voted by multiple choice poll, and there will be at least 72 additional hours from the announcement of the conclusion of the contest window, before it's over.

PoL (Proof of Life) is $0.39 ... anyone who posted current cuisine before this was applied to the contest (~4PM on 6/20) is grandfathered in.

What I want to know is - who's got the ill nasty biscuit gravy?

obama.gif

* Sorry expat's, this one's for US locations only, but feel free to enter for the title, and we can get the prize off to AnySoldier ...

** HI and AK winner's will assume responsibility for whether or not the bacon is fit for consumption after transit from sunny Sarasota, FL ...

I'm in your camp, but I also eat very fast so I wouldn't really know............. all day??? LOL

Here's the plan. Tomorrow for Fathers Day I plan on making biscuits and gravy. Well, that's the plan at least.

Im had to get a roll of biscuits for the kids in case mine turn out horrible. Never made ANY bread product from scratch before so this will be a leaning event for all. Going to have to make mine the only one with heat though. The four year old and the two year old are wussies!!! :P  That an the missus don't like heat a lot. So........ they be plain mine be hot.

Looking forward to this. Went out and got some whole milk, baking powder and some other things to prepare.

Im had to get a roll of biscuits for the kids in case mine turn out horrible. Never made ANY bread product from scratch before so this will be a leaning event for all.

I know this feeling, I'm a non-baker from way back!
Good sausage with scratch made cheddar buttermilk biscuits...might need to play next week!

I won't even announce the final days of the contest until the thread's been idle (in terms of food) for at least 48 hrs already, and/or at least through the coming weekend ...

CHEERS!

sirex said:
Is there PoL ?

.39 if you can do it, still ...

everyone who posted already (current food) is grandfathered in ...
So weird, I see what happened now ... I used my approximate age to pick the PoL and it turned out to be the identical PoL Pex used for his taco contest ...

No wonder I got mixed up when I saw the whole .39 -> .40 thing ...

I'm excusing myself =)

D3monic said:
I want to see pookie throw down some biscuits n gravy. Don't think i've ever seen ya make shit. 

There is a hamburger out there ... I don't recall it being a cheeseburger, but it might have been ...

The scene was "at night" if memory serves ...

That's all I've got ... it vaguely could have been a New Year's burger ... but that's stretchin' my memory ...

All right. Here we go. Happy Father's day to y'all!

What we workin wit!!!

doeEMb7.jpg

PqPa8mN.jpg

gnXPSGH.jpg

8znwJvh.jpg

z2bQlOn.jpg

lMwO77u.jpg

cOtTxY7.jpg

FqxOvPJ.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! 

What? Y'all thought a bruthah was done?!

3Tqh5Dg.jpg

Oh yeah I will post recipe later in the day.

That purple stuff is my homemade cherry bhut sauce. Very sweet. Just enough to cut through everything else and give a nice zippy tang!

Edit: Forgot to get to to the recipe. Duh!!!

Biscuits:
2 c flour
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1.5 c heavy cream
2 tbs melted butter

Preheat oven to 425 F

Sift dry ingredients. Stir in 1.25  cup cream until incorporated. Stir in rest of cream until dough gets soft.

Turn dough on lightly floured surface. Knead lightly into a ball. Press dough into a circle about 1 inch thick. Use cutter and biscuits out. Scrape up scraps and repeat until none is left.

Dip dough rounds in melted butter and put on baking sheet  butter side up. 

Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned.

Gravy

1/4 c flour
2 c WHOLE milk
Salt and pepper to taste.

*Some people remove the sausage from the pan to make the gravy, I usually don't but I did this time.

Brown sausage.  Remove from pan. Mix in 1/4 flour. When flour is well incorporated (get little balls of roux ) before roux darkens and burns, pour in milk. Mix constantly until sauce thickens and add sausage back to the mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Yes, this was my first time making any bread product from scratch and while I did enjoy the biscuits I prefer flaky biscuits to old school crumbly biscuits.

Thanks for reading!!!

Oh hell yes ...

For one, it's nice to see some local food ... everything just registers instantly when it's the same labels on the butter/cheese/milk etc from the same places you are used to ...

Heavy Whipping Cream ... bomb.

Maple Jimmy Dean ... bomb.

Extra Sharp Cabot ... bomb.

Dual butter ...

Dual dairy ...

Shit, there's 5x dairy items in that!!!

BOOM!!!

I'm all up in that.

Cheers!

this just mad me think.....what if you make biscuits and gravy but you turned the béchamel into more of a mornay *with cheese melted in it*. what cheese would you add? i'm thinking maybe some pimento cheese, or jalapeño cheddar, jalapeño monterey? 

grantmichaels said:
yup, remember this coming up w/ the gumbo/jambalaya discourse a few months back ...

was watching that thread, but it faded out ... was hot stuff, or Phil, can't remember ...

i seem to recall JayT had some game in this regard, not sure why though, at this point ...

fucting JayT ... his wife's not going to like me once his box comes, haha ...

You really have me scratching my head about the contents of this package.  Yeah, I do make sausage gravy.  Mine is straight up N'awlins with some fatalii powder added.  I prefer mine a little thicker than Pooks.  I ate this stuff every day when I was in Shreveport!  I haven't made it in a while, and don't know if I will have time to make any for your contest as I work six of the next seven days, but next time I do I will be sure to post.

Back