contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
scoville_eggs.jpg

I embarked on a "the perfect hard boiled egg" journey a while back. So many variables involved - how thick are the bottoms and sides of the pot, what altitude are you cooking at, etc. End result desired was "tender" whites (not rubbery) and a fully-cooked yellow (no grey/green) yolk, and an easy peel. After much personal experimentation (way more than I am sure grant has patience for!  ;) ), I now use a Kuhn Ricon 4th Burner Pot, which has thin walls and bottom. I load the eggs into the basket, cover with cold water, remove the eggs (still in the basket), then bring the water to a full boil on high heat. I put the eggs back into the pot and cover it with the lid, then return it to a boil. To make sure it doesn't boil over, I turn the heat to medium-high and keep it boiling for one minute. Then I turn off the heat and let it sit for 9 minutes. I then remove the basket from the pot, run the eggs under very cold water, then slap them in the fridge. They meet my desired results this way, not only when freshly cooked, but also after being refrigerated. It was weird to me to have fully-cooked but tender whites the first time I achieved this. And starting with hot water makes them easy to peel.

Myth: Starting in hot water makes the eggs crack. No, faults in the shell make them crack, regardless of whether started in cold or hot water.
Myth: The eggs must be in a single layer in the pot. Ha! 

I can achieve the same desired results with other my pots, but the cooking times are different, depending on the construction of each pot. With my thick-walled pots, for example, I boil the eggs 4 minutes then let them sit in the hot water ... um... I forget how long because I've been using the Kuhn Ricon pot too long! 

There - Aren't you glad I brought up hard-boiled eggs now?  :lol:

Edit... if I remember correctly, with my thick-walled pots I let the eggs sit in the hot water for 5 minutes after the 4 minute boil. But I realized I never tried the 1 minute boil 9 minute rest with those pots so I think I will try that out next, just so I can understand it.

What's it called when you offer a tip to someone and then get schooled? LOL! Damn G, it's like you went to egg college. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back