contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as hard as you guys are making it.

There's purposely a strict and a relaxed category. If it's too strict, simple, enter the other one. Napolitana style is a target/guideline. I already stated no one is certifying pizzerias here. No licencing exam. No timers. You should however follow the guidelines as close as you can to the tomatoes, flour, cheese, and cook times etc.

If that is not your thing, enter Anything Goes. You want to make a margherita with prosciutto? It would go here. Seeee it's not as hard as you are making it. One is strict to show off pizza skill with all the same style pizza (which a lot of you have been practicing), the other is to show off the best recipe and also skill etc.

This is supposed to please everyone. And honestly if the first category intimidates you, plop it in the second. Just make sure it is not a "straight up" margherita or marinara or it will be judged with the others. Throw a topping on it dammit! ;)

The Hot Pepper said:

And honestly if the first category intimidates you, plop it in the second. Just make sure it is not a "straight up" margherita or marinara or it will be judged with the others. Throw a topping on it dammit! ;)

I'm going as close to spec as I can get it within reason, and with a little bit of GM-spin on the flour ... but that's because a) it's my fsvorite kind of pizza bar none, and b) I can't act like I haven't learned the rules before when there are posts floating around these parts where they've been discussed with Essegi etc ...
And mostly I just want to bust tctenten's balls because he mentioned the other day that he'd make pizza in his oven despite the kettlepizza! :rofl:

I put forth the notion of a wood-fired category, a margherita cat, an anything goes cat, and the dessert cat if the entries are there - which I think there will be a bunch of entries ...

Snagged some mascarpone ...

Planning a wood-fired pie (or Neapolitan as it exists), and potentially a margherita too (oven), and def a dessert pie (oven) ...

The text requirements for pizza is much, much easier than a typical foreign food entry ... so multiple entries doesn't seem like too big a deal ...

the 90 second thing won't  matter for my vote,  

If someone used some hot steel and full out broiler on their oven and made a killer looking margherita or marinara  , I wouldn't care if it takes them extra time to get there. 

I might get in on the open category,  I find margh's and marinara somewhat boring,  quattro stagioni  is more my speed in the traditional vein. 

Ashen said:
the 90 second thing won't  matter for me vote,  

If someone used some hot steel and full out broiler on their oven and made a killer looking margherita or marinara  , I wouldn't care if it takes them extra time to get there. 

Totes. But you either consciously or subconscious migrated away from Neapolitan over to margherita =) ...

Consciously.   Paid attention to the Boss's wording. 

The Hot Pepper said:

There's purposely a strict and a relaxed category. If it's too strict, simple, enter the other one. Napolitana style is a target/guideline. I already stated no one is certifying pizzerias here. No licencing exam. No timers. You should however follow the guidelines as close as you can to the tomatoes, flour, cheese, and cook times etc.

If that is not your thing, enter Anything Goes. You want to make a margherita with prosciutto? It would go here. Seeee it's not as hard as you are making it. One is strict to show off pizza skill with all the same style pizza (which a lot of you have been practicing), the other is to show off the best recipe and also skill etc.

This is supposed to please everyone. And honestly if the first category intimidates you, plop it in the second. Just make sure it is not a "straight up" margherita or marinara or it will be judged with the others. Throw a topping on it dammit! ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
Thinking we do:

Napolitana (Margherita and Marinara only, no toppings)
Anything Goes

At first I was thinking a Neapolitan is not much to look at, but it is damn hard to get one to cook right/look nice even on the net, it's really easy to pick one apart in pics, so it is a good category for pizza skill (and not being swayed by toppings).

Then Anything Goes, self explanatory. Round, square, deep, toppings, whatev.

Figure if 2 people make a dessert pie, then add Dessert cat. If only 1, then in the above.

OG post ...

The Hot Pepper said:
everyone take a deep breath

BWAHAHA ...

I just want to state clearly, I'm not the least bit tense or stressed over this ...

I'm just doing my refresher research for the TD, as one does, and am sharing what I'm coming across, in an effort to be helpful to people who might not have that kind of time online etc ...

And I was busting 1010's balls for being a puss and cooking an safe-play oven pie when he's got WFO-potential ...

Ashen said:
Paid attention to the Boss's wording. 

Dan*'s are very specific in their wording, trust - I live with one.

I'm fairly confident Pooks was actually trying to have a cat for serious Neapolitan entries ...

I mean, he went so far as to describe the challenge in doing so, and ease of critiquing them ...

And to be able to contrast those cooks from Joy of Cooking entries in an effort to have something for everyone ...
The Hot Pepper said:
dude likes kolsch, fake beer with the fake pizza.

But don't call it sauce ... or fuck up the I-talian sausage/meatballs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back