• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
HigherThisHeat, it's always a learning experience and usually a fun one. 
Take good pics, DO NOT WAIT UNTIL 30 MINUTES BEFORE THE END OF THE TD TO POST.....so if you have some issues with your entry post, there's time to correct it.

Make sure you have the Picture Posting thing figured out.  Have the Photobucket/Flickr account up and running. 

We're here to help~   

(right before we try to crush your TD Entry with our own Entry of Awesomeness!)   :lol:

It's all in good fun.

Send a guy who has no idea what he's doing/buying into a butcher shop, and he accidently spends $90 :doh:

Well, at least I got a brisket. I left nothing in the budget to tapas-ize it... Gonna hafto get creative real fast

Oh geeze... I feel like a fool, I don't even know what I got now as far as quality cut.

But it weighed about 9.5lb AFTER being trimmed up.  I think untrimmed, it was about 11-12lbs. So I'm guessing they charged me per lb pre-trim? Anyway, my brisket worked out to be nearly $8 a pound :shocked:

I got it from http://southernsteer.com/products.html , there isn't much info on what exactly thier cuts are. How do I know if it's prime stuff?

Oh well... Live and learn. Either way, I have a giant ass brisket that will hopefully be delicious. My one other attempt at a brisket was only a flat cut. So this whole brisket shall be interesting...

I'm planning on allowing 16 hours for the cook. I really hope it doesn't go over this.

I'll be awake at 3am tomorrow morning... I'll be drinking by 6am.

I know what I'm doing. It will be a first attempt for me. So, the BBQ/smoked protein has to be made into a small appetizer type dish, right?

Buzz, that's right.  Cook a protein and then make tapas/appetizers. 

HTH, good luck to you, amigo!  you've a long day ahead. 
FWIW- at our local butcher shop, I pay $13.99-$15.99 for rib eye steaks.  They are Freaking Awesome....but that's also why we only get them about once a year!

Since this will be my first attempt here just want to clarify the timing. Saw it said on the rules that it runs through sunday unless otherwise stated as being just friday. Planning doing this sunday unless its gotta be in tomo then the smoking will start  early in the mornin.

Your good with the Sunday post timing.
Sleep in tomorrow :P

Too much going on this weekend or I would be in.
I will however be eating well and there is a slight possibility of drinkingat least half of a beer.

How much am I diggin' all of these "first attempts"??????

OMG!!!! Bring it Bitches!!!!!!! (I mean that in the most respectful sense!!!!!!!!)

This Throwdown is gonna sooooooo much ROCK!
(Buzzie and Seacowboy.....bring your magic!!!)

C-cowboy- Throwdowns usually start sometime on Friday and end sometime Sunday evening.  The Boss will post the exact times of start/finish.  It's never just a one-day (Friday) event.  Always  a couple days, but you have to watch the closing time!

Do your cooking whenever over the weekend.  Take Pics, make notes of ingredients, etc.  have fun, have some drinks.... just make sure to get your TD entry posted before the Sunday deadline.

Sometimes (like on Memorial day or Labor day weekends) the dates are extended but that's no guaranteed.  This weekend THP said he'd post the PoL on Thursday (proof of life, see topic rules for explanation) for those doing things like briskets (that have extended brining and cooking times) so they can be served on Friday July 4th. 

For the POL can we just take it with our proteins....my wide angle lens is not wide enough for an all in ingredient shot?  :rolleyes:

I also want to clarify, if doing 2 pork butts 2 different ways, can you still only do one tapa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back