• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Roguejim said:
Thanks, Bill. Are those windows clear? Maybe it's just the overcast(?) sky that makes them look cloudy. I will have to settle for an 8x10 steel frame w/plastic cover. It has windows and a door, so I hope heat will be controllable. I thought if I could slip the plastic cover off during Summer/Winter, and just leave the heavy frame standing during the off season, the plastic cover should last years. It has some sort of cloth(?)mesh woven into the plastic. It will run $250.
Jim, 
The windows are sort of opaque.  They are a corrugated type acrylic.  Nothing expensive, but it does help add strength.  Might help if I was to wash the windows before I take pictures again!  They do get algae or something on them on the outside, but you do need to be careful washing it.   I have one of the silver mesh sun covers that really helps in the mid-summer, but by then most of my plants are out of there except for the few large permanent ones I have in there.  Meyers Lemon and a Calamondin Tree (small orange)

PaulG said:
"The greenhouse is small (8 x 16) so it does get crowded" - BPWilly

Dude!  I'd kill for an 8x16.  Mine is a 6x8, and it's the pits working in it.  
No room for me after getting 40 or so peppers in 2-liter pots crammed
in there   :confused:

My fantasy greenhouse is fully electric and plumbed 16 x 20   :D
It is nice, but I think that no matter how large of one is gotten, a person will always want a larger one.  Would be nice to put a good chair and coffee pot in it, but there is not any power out to this one.  Would love to have plumbing as well, but a hose will do.  I just need to keep from cluttering it so much.  Nice to have dreams, but someday!

Here is 1/4 of my peppers.  The other 3 flats are in the grow room.  These are mainly jalapeno's and non chinense varieties.

20150415_150044246_iOS.jpg

Full list
Tobasco x 4
Peach Hab x 6
Unidentified chacoense
Pimenta de Neyde x Naga Suomi F1
Zimbabwe Bird
Hab hot papper lantern x 4
TS Yellow CARDI
Hab Red Caribbean x 3
Chocolate Bhutlah off Pheno
7 pot BS yellow
Red MOA SB
SB7J F5
7 Pot BS Red
Jays PGS x Primo F3
Yellow Manzano
Pimenta de Neyde x Douglah F1
Orange Manzano
CAP 215
Yellow MOA SB
Monster Naga
Moruga Red TS
UMCD
CGN19198
Bahamian Goat
Orange Hab
Yellow Aji Umba
TS butch T x Douglah Brown F5
Madballz Jungle Rain
Aji Limon
C04392
Pepperoncini  x 3
California Wonder x 2
Purple Beauty x 2
Biker Billy x 4
Piment d'Esplette 
Tekne Dolmasi
Jalapeno x 4
Peppadew x 3
Aleppo
Matay
Giant Jalapeno
Lemon drop
Hab Red Heart
Hab Red Jumbo x 2
Hab Orange
7 pot Jonah
Giant Jalapeno
Hab Mustard

I don't have enough space for all of this!

Yea, its about that time isnt it?  I'll probably start next week.  I need to get busy.  I've got a raised bed to build and a hoop house

Just a big shout out and thanks to Turbo.  Yesterday, he gave me one of his Chero Roxa plants and a Aji Panca.   I love the color of the Chero, and am looking forward to seeing this one grow out this year.

Will get a picture taken someday!

Just stopping in from Colorado. Had to check out what you growers have been up too. Great stuff going on. Taking tips.

Good luck to all of you and thanks for sharing.

OCD Chilehead said:
Just stopping in from Colorado. Had to check out what you growers have been up too. Great stuff going on. Taking tips.

Good luck to all of you and thanks for sharing.
Hey Chuck.  You can post here anytime.  As for tips, I change direction so many times, it's best to simply dismiss whatever I might say.

ColdSmoke said:
How far from plant out?
KevinH said:
The valley needs to warm up a bit..So I can plant out.
I can't wait any longer. I doubt there will be any frost warnings on the horizon, so I will begin tomorrow. The plants are most likely root bound as heck in their #2 pots, and in a weakend state, showing signs of yellowing again. Very strange since it's only the plants I've brought outside that show yellowing. I've also been warned that this will be a season for aphids due to the mild Winter. I think I will be using insecticidal soap.

Roguejim said:
How far from plant out?

I can't wait any longer. I doubt there will be any frost warnings on the horizon, so I will begin tomorrow. The plants are most likely root bound as heck in their #2 pots, and in a weakend state, showing signs of yellowing again. Very strange since it's only the plants I've brought outside that show yellowing. I've also been warned that this will be a season for aphids due to the mild Winter. I think I will be using insecticidal soap.

I'm going to start doing some hardening off this weekend, but it doesn't look like the weather is going to cooperate though. I'm going to prepare my small outdoor garden and maybe plant some of my early tomato varieties. I'll be doing a lot of fishing and out of town stuff so I doubt I'll do a full plant out until mid May. My plants look great right now and hopefully I'm not forced to act based on their condition. Looks like maybe you're dealing with that a little bit. I think my timing was good this year, but I still made plenty of mistakes! That manzano on the right was my last batch and it already has flowers. Excited about that one thanks to bpwilly 

Plant out has begun.  I had some time before work to plant 5 of the larger plants.  Surprisingly, they weren't terribly root bound.  Vacation starts Saturday, so I'll do a few every day.  I've also planted some marigolds, dill. and yarrow to try and attract aphid-eating insects.  I don't have a lot of confidence in this strategy, though.  Time will tell.

L to R: Choc Handgrenade Hab, Giant Yellow 7-Pot, Brown Moruga, Naga-Brain, Choc Handgrenade Hab.

I'm chomping at the bit to get plants in the ground.  Everyone is flowering like crazy.  I just built an 8' x 3' raised bed and should have it in place and filled this weekend.  I'm going to experiment with hoop houses on my raised bed this year.  I've read that they can help raise the soil temperature so you can plant out earlier, as well as keep the plants warmer at night during late spring.

Here is one of my Cheiro Roxa.  I can't wait to see what it looks like all grown up and covered with pods

IMG_1688.jpg

Playing catch up...

Here's some numbers I jotted down last season for a 10x6 hoop house:

45 was 56 cloudy
46 was 70 sun out for just a bit 2-3
45 was 60 clouded up 2-3
64 and 70 at 4:30 sunny 2-4
47 and 80 at 3:30 sunny 2-5
31 and 52 at 1:00  cloudy 2-6
30 and 50 at 2PM  cloudy 2-7
37 and 41 at 8AM cloudy 2-8
cold as hell 2-9 to 2-13
68 and 93 3:30PM Sunny, all day 2-14
68 and 94 12 noon Sunny all day 2-15
77 and 80 3PM both ends opened up, thermometer shaded by a piece of cardboard 2-15

Quick question on interpreting the data.  Are the two numbers the high and low for the day?  What is the last pair of numbers separated by a dash?

garden prep:

hand till
image_zpsywc5v2sn.jpg

image_zpsjdke7cjy.jpg

Amendments: Steer manuer, compost, mushroom compost, bone meal, organic tomato fert and worm castings
image_zpsjqd00ahm.jpg
Mixed
image_zpsns4efhhl.jpg

fence up to keep dogs out
image_zps6uk4ue8e.jpg

This is a 12X6 plot that doesn't get as much sun as I'd like but it does pretty good. I'll plant my non exotic type peppers here: (cayenne, manzano, ricotto...etc. plus tomatoes) I don't think the superhots will fare all that well plus I don't want to have to babysit the plants in this garden. All of this work only took an hour of time.

ColdSmoke said:
garden prep:

hand till
image_zpsywc5v2sn.jpg

image_zpsjdke7cjy.jpg

Amendments: Steer manuer, compost, mushroom compost, bone meal, organic tomato fert and worm castings
image_zpsjqd00ahm.jpg
Mixed
image_zpsns4efhhl.jpg

fence up to keep dogs out
image_zps6uk4ue8e.jpg

This is a 12X6 plot that doesn't get as much sun as I'd like but it does pretty good. I'll plant my non exotic type peppers here: (cayenne, manzano, ricotto...etc. plus tomatoes) I don't think the superhots will fare all that well plus I don't want to have to babysit the plants in this garden. All of this work only took an hour of time.
You work fast. I think you should try 1 superhot. Are you going to cover the new soil with a mulch layer?

Back