• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

Roguejim said:
You may have already told us, but, what type soil are you using for your seedlings?
This is what I'm trying this year as my starter soil. Its a local brand. Best part is it's like $7.95 a bag. 
20150109_0618261.jpg

ColdSmoke said:
I'm going to germinate with rock wool in tray with a globe. Should I keep it in the dark until they sprout?

This year my grow area is in an insulated shop, germing on a heat mat, with the germs in a North window. They're doing fine. Once they pop I get them under the T8's, transplanted to solo cups, and once they have 4 true leaves they go under the T5.

I see no reason to keep them in the dark. Anyone else?

I would think that you would do the same as germinating in other medium.  I just have never used rock wool before. I think it would work just as well!

organic pepper said:
This is what I'm trying this year as my starter soil. Its a local brand. Best part is it's like $7.95 a bag. 
attachicon.gif
20150109_0618261.jpg
OP

Interesting to see that soil, as I live in Kent/Covington and had never seen that brand of mix.  Will have to check it out.    I will be mixing up my own soil again this year by recycling last years and adding a few things.   How fluffy is the soil?   I have been adding decomposed bark dust to my soil and it sure seems to help with drainage.

ColdSmoke said:
I'm going to germinate with rock wool in tray with a globe. Should I keep it in the dark until they sprout?
I have done it both ways,  lights and no lights and have never seen any difference.  One a few pop up, you will want lights anyway.   Just my 2 cents.

Hey BP, First year using it but, I'm real happy with it so far. I'm just using it as a starter mix for now till I put them in compost once it goes outside. Its a very light soil mixture and starters are really starting to take off in them. I'm pretty sure I'll use it again for next year. Prices are cheaper if you pick up by the truck load. I'm kinda playing it by ear and so far I am only giving them h20 once a week at the moment.Just keeping an eye on them till they tell me when they need to get their first real feeding on EWC. They seem happy for now so, I let them go till they tell me when they are ready for nutes.

Devv said:
This year my grow area is in an insulated shop, germing on a heat mat, with the germs in a North window. They're doing fine. Once they pop I get them under the T8's, transplanted to solo cups, and once they have 4 true leaves they go under the T5.

I see no reason to keep them in the dark. Anyone else?
Scott, why wait for 4 true leaves before putting them under the T5's?

bpwilly said:
OK,   Been spending the day picking through my seeds to make my list for this year.   Looks like I have boiled it down to about 56 varieties.  Now to keep the total number of plants down to a manageable number so I can grow something else in the garden this year.   I should be getting these started in the next week and will fire up a GLOG again this year.   Looking forward to more experimenting with enhancing te soil used on my pots, as well as enhancing the soil in the garden.  Going to try to redcue the number of plants in the garden so I can get something else growing there to help with crop rotation, since the past 2 years have had the garden dedicated to nothing but peppers.

Don't want to get stuck in a rut, plus I have plenty of pots for most of the peppers this year.

I was out cleaning out some of the older pots and recycling the soil when I notices a big difference between the roots of a pepper plant from one of the plastic 5 gallon buckets and the roots of a pepper plant from a 5 gal fabric-pot.   Not sure which is better, as the fabric-pot plants did not perform all that great for me last year (first time trying them).  Since the fabric pots had smaller and later plants, it may not have been a good comparison, but the roots sure are different.

If anyone has some thoughts on which one is a better root ball, I would love to hear them.  Otherwise, it was just a curious difference.

Still need to get my starting area cleaned up a ready for the seeds and pots.  Better get everything clean and disinfected to start the year off on the right foot.

Interesting. You could dry them out, clean the last of the soil off, snip the stem knobs and compare weight? That is, if they're still kicking around.

Roguejim said:
Scott, why wait for 4 true leaves before putting them under the T5's?

I've been afraid that the T5's are too strong. But I had to put a few under it today as the T8 shelf is now full. You know now when I think of it, last year we had a warm (well normal) January, and as soon as the coty's showed I put the babies outside...and they did fine.

miguelovic said:

Interesting. You could dry them out, clean the last of the soil off, snip the stem knobs and compare weight? That is, if they're still kicking around.
Great idea, and I should have thought of that!  
Oh well,  guess I can experiment again in 2015 and see what my results are like.  I was not impressed for 2014, but it was not a real controlled experiment, so I will try it again, as the concept of the cloth pots with more air reaching the roots does sound like it should be better for the plants.

Given the amount of rain we get here in the PNW, these should give the plants a better chance (in my mind, which can be a scary place!).

OK,  getting ready to start soaking seeds and this is the list I have narrowed it down to so far.   I am looking to hold this to about 100 plants or so, but that is just a plan, and reality could be something else.   But at least this is less than 50% or what I had going last year.  I will get some pictures up as soon as I get these soaked and planted.

Going to try a few of the new ones that Pepperlover has from Turkey this year, as well as some new to me Pube's and the Devils Brain!Now to make sure I have room to get these growing before I get a chance to move them outside. 

I am thinking I will stagger starting most some of the Annuum till later (Feb).   Last year many of they were root bound and I must have done a lousy job of loosening them up, because the production was way down compared to previous years and then I pulled the plants it was pretty apparent that there was a rooting issue.  This did not occur to any of the Chinense, so I am looking to try things a little different this time.

7 Pod Brain Strain Red
7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow
7 Pod Bubble Gum
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Red
Aji Cito
Aji Habanero
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Panca
Aji Verde
Albanian Red Hot
Aleppo
Bahamian Goat peppers
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Congo Trinidad Black
Costa Rican Red
Rocoto
Cumara Cherry
Devils Brain
Giant Naga
Giant Mexican Rocoto
Goats Weed
White Bullet Habanero
Big Sun Habanero
Mustard Habanero
White Habanero
Harbiye
Indian Carbon Bhut Jolokia
Infinity
Corking Jalapeno
Cracked Jalapeno -
Farmers Market Jalapeno
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnets MoA
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Jimmy Nardelo
Jonah Yellow Brain Strain
Manzano
Maras
Maule's Red Hot
Monster Naga
Black Naga
Dorset Naga
Passila de Oaxca
Peach Naga
Red Goat
SB7J
Star of Turkey
Super Chile
Sweet Cayenne
Tepin
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Smooth
True Cumari
7 Pod Barrackpore

I

bpwilly said:
Great idea, and I should have thought of that!  
Oh well,  guess I can experiment again in 2015 and see what my results are like.  I was not impressed for 2014, but it was not a real controlled experiment, so I will try it again, as the concept of the cloth pots with more air reaching the roots does sound like it should be better for the plants.

Given the amount of rain we get here in the PNW, these should give the plants a better chance (in my mind, which can be a scary place!).

OK,  getting ready to start soaking seeds and this is the list I have narrowed it down to so far.   I am looking to hold this to about 100 plants or so, but that is just a plan, and reality could be something else.   But at least this is less than 50% or what I had going last year.  I will get some pictures up as soon as I get these soaked and planted.

Going to try a few of the new ones that Pepperlover has from Turkey this year, as well as some new to me Pube's and the Devils Brain!Now to make sure I have room to get these growing before I get a chance to move them outside. 

I am thinking I will stagger starting most some of the Annuum till later (Feb).   Last year many of they were root bound and I must have done a lousy job of loosening them up, because the production was way down compared to previous years and then I pulled the plants it was pretty apparent that there was a rooting issue.  This did not occur to any of the Chinense, so I am looking to try things a little different this time.

7 Pod Brain Strain Red
7 Pod Brain Strain Yellow
7 Pod Bubble Gum
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Red
Aji Cito
Aji Habanero
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Panca
Aji Verde
Albanian Red Hot
Aleppo
Bahamian Goat peppers
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Congo Trinidad Black
Costa Rican Red
Rocoto
Cumara Cherry
Devils Brain
Giant Naga
Giant Mexican Rocoto
Goats Weed
White Bullet Habanero
Big Sun Habanero
Mustard Habanero
White Habanero
Harbiye
Indian Carbon Bhut Jolokia
Infinity
Corking Jalapeno
Cracked Jalapeno -
Farmers Market Jalapeno
Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnets MoA
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
Jimmy Nardelo
Jonah Yellow Brain Strain
Manzano
Maras
Maule's Red Hot
Monster Naga
Black Naga
Dorset Naga
Passila de Oaxca
Peach Naga
Red Goat
SB7J
Star of Turkey
Super Chile
Sweet Cayenne
Tepin
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Smooth
True Cumari
7 Pod Barrackpore

I
That's a monster list, considering you'll probably add to it later!  Looking forward to your grow operation, Bill.

Jim
Considering how many different ones I like but am not planting this year, I surprised myself with the list.  You are right in that the list may grow, so I will have to really work on self control.

I really have to work down the numbers of peppers I have in the freezer already, before my better-half starts to get cranky that I am taking up all the space.

Plus, it prevents me from taking opportunity of any sales on pork butts or brisket.  I love having a few extras in the freezer that I can take out and throw on the smoker when I know I will be home and rained in all day!

So a win-win for me!

bpwilly said:
Jim
Considering how many different ones I like but am not planting this year, I surprised myself with the list.  You are right in that the list may grow, so I will have to really work on self control.

I really have to work down the numbers of peppers I have in the freezer already, before my better-half starts to get cranky that I am taking up all the space.

Plus, it prevents me from taking opportunity of any sales on pork butts or brisket.  I love having a few extras in the freezer that I can take out and throw on the smoker when I know I will be home and rained in all day!

So a win-win for me!
What kind/brand of smoker do you have?

Wow, 56 varieties and 100 plants?

Sounds like a serious grow, Bill!

Roguejim said:
What kind/brand of smoker do you have?
Jim,

It is just a smoky Mountain gas smoker.  Nothing fancy, but it works well and best of all is stainless steel and has lasted many years.  I have several apple trees as well as chips from a large cherry tree that died, so I have plenty of fruit wood chips for it.

PaulG said:
Wow, 56 varieties and 100 plants?

Sounds like a serious grow, Bill!
Thanks Paul,   If I can control myself and don't let it get much bigger, it should be easier to manage than last year.  I felt like I was spending way to much time on it, but that could also just be me fussing over them to much!

Need to keep it in the hobby realm and not become work!

Haha, Bill!  I think you are right on both counts.

My Round one germination is about over -  a few stragglers coming in now.

Results as of 01/13/15:

Round One seeding 01/01/15, 3 seeds per plug.  Dates are hook dates.

In Jiffy Plugs:
Roatan Pumpkin……………………………...Honduran Market seed, 3rd generation………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 2……100%
Congo Trinidad Yellow……………………...Sanarda, 3rd generation…………………………………1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 3, 1/12 x 1……………..…84%
Fatali x Red Savina………………………….Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2……………………..….50%
Yellow Scorpion……………………………..Spankycolts, 4th generation……………………………..1/10 x 5, 1/11 x 1…………………….…100%
Scotch Bonnet TFM………………………...Trippa, 3rd generation…………………………1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2, 1/13 x 2……..………100%
Scotch Bonnet, chocolate………………...GaGrowhead, 2nd generation……….………..1/9 x 1, 1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1……84%
Bhut Jolokia, red…………………………….Spankycolts, 3rd generation…………………………….1/8 x 1, 1/9 x 2…………………………….50%
Bhut Jolokia, chocolate…………………….GaGrowhead, 2nd generation…………………………..0/6…………………………………………….0%
Mystery Cross……………………………….Trippa, F3…………………………………………………..1/9 x 3, 1/10 x 2………………...…………67%
Jamaican Red Habanero………………….Devv, 2nd generation…………………...……..1/9 x 2, 1/10 x 1, 1/12 x 1, 1/13 x 1……………..…84%
Primo………………………………………...MGold, 2nd génération…………………………………….1/10 x 1, 1/11 x 2…………………………50%
Goronong……………………………………Trippa………………………………………………………..1/7 x 2, 1/8 x 3, 1/11 x 1……………….100%
Bonda Ma Jacques x 7 Pot, yellow……..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/7 x 1, 1/8 x 3, 1/9 x 2………………...100%
Naga Brain, yellow………………………..Windchicken, 2nd generation……………………………..1/8 x 2, 1/9 x 2, 1/10 x1, 1/11 x 1…….100%
Datil………………………………………….Romy6, 2nd generation……………………………………1/11 x 1……………………………………..16%

In Aerogarden: none yet

Nice job, PaulG.  Sorry about the choc bhuts.  Were they late getting planted?  My habs were disappointing this time across the board, something like 2/26.  All I got was 1 Red Savina, and 1  Caribbean Red.  No St. Lucias, whites, or golden bullets.  I'm still hoping on the whites and golden bullets.  Oh yeah, no rocoto either.

Thanks, Jim.  I guess I just picked the wrong pod for the choco BhutJ.  
I have a bunch of seeds, but don't know if I'll sow it again or not at this
late date.  Sorry to here about the dismal results on your habaneros   :mope:   
At least you got two really good varieties!  Let's hope they are bomb
plants!

I updated the germination data in my blog.

Latest germination distribution data here

Alright, I am a pepper plant addict.  Tomorrow I am going to sew 6-10 more Superhot varieties, even if it is a bit late.  Since so many of my Habs never came up, piss on them!  I'm sewing some more Superhots...not sure which, yet.  I'll report back later.  I know you all understand this craziness.  By the way, check out PaulG's glog, and the package he received.  I cannot describe how envious I am!!!

Don't feel like the lone ranger for some varieties not popping. I'm on my second round for about 15 varieties; this is their last chance. Or it will be too late for them to do anything :shh:

Back