• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015

Today launches The Pacific Northwest GLOG 2015, geared towards growers from this region.  Since there appears to be disagreement on what states, and areas, actually comprise the Pacific Northwest, I will use a broad definition, in order to include more growers.  If anyone thinks the definition could be even more broad, it can always be changed.  Come one, come all.

Oregon
Washington
Alaska
Northern California
Idaho
Montana
Wyoming
British Columbia

I am from the Rogue Valley, in southern Oregon, so, I will begin with a couple of shots from my yard, which over looks the Rogue River.

It's still December 2014, but I've been busy putting together my grow list for the 2015 PNW season.  My seeds will be planted around the second to third week of this month.  I'm cutting a bit back from last season, so, here's my modest grow-list to kick things off for the 2015 season.

POTS  

GIANT 7-POT YELLOW-2
BHUT PURPLE-1
CUMARI DO PARA-1
PIMENTA LEOPARD-1
SCORP CHOC-1
TRIN CONGO RED-2
TRIN CONGO BLACK-2
REAPER-1
ROCOTO-1
MORUGA BROWN-1
7-POT CHAGUANA-1
NAGA-BRAIN-1

ORNAMENTAL

FILIUS BLUE-1
NUMEX EASTER-1

RAISED BEDS

HAB GOLD BULLET-2
HAB WHITE-2
HAB CAR RED-2
RED SAVINA-2
HAB ST LUCIA-2
HAB CHOC HANDGRENADE-2
SB7J-2
SCOTCH BONNET MOA-4
SCOTCH BONNET FARIAH-4
BAHAMIAN GOAT-3
JAMAICAN MUSHROOM-1
TRINIDAD BEAN GOLD-1
SCORPION TONGUE-1
AJI CACHO DE CABRA-1
AJI TEAPOT-1
AJI PINEAPPLE-3
AJI COLORADO-1
AJI OMNICOLOR-1
JAL CRACKED-4
JAL (PEPPER GURU)-4
JALAMUNDO-2
PEPPADEW-1
CHERRY BOMB-2
NARDELLO-2
SILING BILONG-2
BIG JIM WORLD RECORD-1
CHILACA-1
FRESNOS-5
MA WIRI WIRI-1

I've never done much with pH. Here are my test results. The exact same as my starter soil. Is this too high!

image_zpspcbgzqbl.jpg

Early pods in southern Oregon.  All but maybe 2 or 3 plants have pods.  I was barely planting out this time last season, and didn't see pods until around June, I think.  Even some of the rattier plants are spitting them out. 

Jamaican Mushroom.  Breaded and fried...murder.

Pimenta Leopard.  I'll have seeds available.

MOA.  I've yet to get one with the correct shape, and I got the seeds from Steve954.  Maybe this season.

Bahamian Goat.  I can see by what's already popping out, that I will be inundated with these things.

Trinidad Congo.  Not sure what color.  Poor record keeping on my part.

Naga-Brain.

Chile Chilaca.  I think these might also be referred to as Chile Negro, turning almost black.  Chop and sautee with scrambled eggs.

Siling Bilong.  My current favorite sweet pepper, turns deep red.  Large, like a red bell, but much better tasting.  Very apple-like.

Roguejim said:
Early pods in southern Oregon.  All but maybe 2 or 3 plants have pods.  I was barely planting out this time last season, and didn't see pods until around June, I think.  Even some of the rattier plants are spitting them out. 

Jamaican Mushroom.  Breaded and fried...murder.

Pimenta Leopard.  I'll have seeds available.

MOA.  I've yet to get one with the correct shape, and I got the seeds from Steve954.  Maybe this season.

Bahamian Goat.  I can see by what's already popping out, that I will be inundated with these things.

Trinidad Congo.  Not sure what color.  Poor record keeping on my part.

Naga-Brain.

Chile Chilaca.  I think these might also be referred to as Chile Negro, turning almost black.  Chop and sautee with scrambled eggs.

Siling Bilong.  My current sweet pepper, turning deep red.  Large, like a red bell, but much better tasting.  Very apple-like.

I bet you're not regretting your early start anymore. 

ColdSmoke said:
I bet you're not regretting your early start anymore. 
Yes, and no. Digging 27 holes with a full sized shovel, in raised beds, and trying not to step all over the "no till" bed (soil compaction = bad) was back breaking for me. I'm used to sitting down and using a hand shovel for smaller plants. Not sure what I'll do next season as far as timing everything goes. I'm looking forward to everyone else's pod shots, now!

What happened to "organic pepper"? He was building raised beds with air pot material.

Wow Jim,

That MOA sure is a early ripening for the Pac Northwest.   You win the early bird special this year!

I liked your comment on the Jamaican Mushroom "breaded and Fried"  Never tried them that way, now I have a new goal.

Those Bahamian Goat peppers have been close to the most proficient plant in my garden for 2 years straight.  You only need to plants to swamp yourself with that type of pepper.  Nice flavor and wonderful color and shape.  Has seemed to be a very easy plant to grow and take care of (in my limited experience)   I do wish my MOA were as productive and consistent on quantity and shape as the Bahamian Goats because I sure do love the flavor of them.

bpwilly said:
Wow Jim,

That MOA sure is a early ripening for the Pac Northwest.   You win the early bird special this year!

I liked your comment on the Jamaican Mushroom "breaded and Fried"  Never tried them that way, now I have a new goal.

Those Bahamian Goat peppers have been close to the most proficient plant in my garden for 2 years straight.  You only need to plants to swamp yourself with that type of pepper.  Nice flavor and wonderful color and shape.  Has seemed to be a very easy plant to grow and take care of (in my limited experience)   I do wish my MOA were as productive and consistent on quantity and shape as the Bahamian Goats because I sure do love the flavor of them.
My bad. I was thinking of the Jamaican Mushroom, cut in half,scooped out, breaded and fried. I've stuffed scotch bonnets with cheese, breaded and fried them, and the first one was good. By the second one, my mouth was on fire!

Looking great guys. All mine are dead. So I will be looking for some replacement seed in the coming months. May my plants RIP

KevinH said:
Looking great guys. All mine are dead. So I will be looking for some replacement seed in the coming months. May my plants RIP
Huh?  Explain, please.
bpwilly said:
Wow Jim,

How do you prepare/cook the Goats and MOAs? 

Jim,

I have just been using the MOA's and Goats in sauces and Jams as well as Jerk sauces with the MOA.     I love the smell that comes off the BBQ when a good jerk sauce hits the hot grill.  The allspice or something has a real unique smell that sure wakes up the taste buds.

The Jams made with any of the hab/bonnet type peppers are great in the morning on toast.  Who the heck needs Caffeine!

I looked at that link and now I have a new thing to BBQ this summer!  Might hurt, but you only live once.   Thanks

ColdSmoke said:
Some plant out pics.
image_zpsxnf5kxco.jpg
image_zpsuezrm8bv.jpg
Nice pics Jeremy. They all look great. Damn! Those stuffed peepers look amazing. I might have to give that a try. I think Bill was talking about the pic someone else had posted down at the end of the page.

Thanks for sharing

ColdSmoke said:
Some plant out pics.

image_zpsxnf5kxco.jpg

image_zpsuezrm8bv.jpg
Awesome, dude.  Time to relax a bit now, and wait...Who are you planning on keeping out of your garden with that little fence? :P I laughed when I saw it because deer have been prowling around, and through my raised beds.  No damage though thanks to the smelly deer repellant I use.  I hope you'll post another photo of your patio corner when all of the plants are loaded with ripe pods.  I wish I had done something like that, now.  What's that plant growing down like a vine?

The little fence is the keep our dogs out. No deer issues in the yard. I still have quite a few to plant in containers but the majority of the work is done. The other plant is hops growing out of the half wine barrel. They need to be trimmed!

ColdSmoke said:
The little fence is the keep our dogs out. No deer issues in the yard. I still have quite a few to plant in containers but the majority of the work is done. The other plant is hops growing out of the half wine barrel. They need to be trimmed!
I was thinking those might be hops. Any truth that hops are aphid magnets? I hope not.

Back