• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors The running, biking, hiking, camping forum

sicman said:
Your absolutely right about the race trying to not lose money. It ended up turning into a shit show, so it was best to boycott. Someone got hit by a car and is still in the hospital. Another fell at the the beginning and broke his collar bone. Best of luck with your new saddle a d where is Voodoo!?

Yeah, that's pretty crappy all around.   Good question about Voodoo.   I assume he's pounding out the miles and we'll hear soon about his adventures.

Voodoo 6 said:
Yup, it's still snowing here so it's bike maintenance day. Good luck on your trip and be safe! Cheers!

Hey Voodoo.  How's it going?  Is the good biking weather coming around for you yet?

Went snowshoeing in the central Cascades yesterday at Gold Creek Pond.  Nice to have spots like this within an hour's drive of home.

The trails are reasonable flat around the pond so it's not as much of a workout as some other trails, but the scenery is nice.

Trail winding though trees
GoldCreekPondTrailsP.jpg

GoldCreekPondTrailsL.jpg

Nice pics Cane, love seeing some snow since we're having almost none here this winter. The hike was awesome I believe.

And Sicman, that track looks interesting. This should be dynamic all 200 miles. Is this organized or you're riding in traffic. Be careful and good riding!

I bought a new bike last week, Specialized Chisel Comp. I hope it's as good as they said. Judging by the specs online and the feeling I got when I took it for a ride down the street it could serve me well. I hope so. Will post some pics when I get a chance to take it up the hills.

Nice on the new bike, the course is unsupported and there will be traffic. 75% is on rural clay pecan farm roads so traffic shouldn't be a big problem. I have a mirror and lights and follow all rules making my road riding as safe as possible.

15:45 moving time,16:37 elapsed. It was all clay,mud,sand,gravel besides 25 miles of crap pavement. 32 low, 63 high, with a 43 degree temperature average. 6364 feet of elevation climbed. It was maybe the hardest thing I've ever been through physically and mentally. Amazing experience.

sicman said:
15:45 moving time,16:37 elapsed. It was all clay,mud,sand,gravel besides 25 miles of crap pavement. 32 low, 63 high, with a 43 degree temperature average. 6364 feet of elevation climbed. It was maybe the hardest thing I've ever been through physically and mentally. Amazing experience.
Sounds very hard. Congrats on the achievement.

sicman said:
Congrats!! Out of ignorance,where do you find that kind of elevation change in the deep south? How is it calculated?

I'm actually below sea level and there is a hill called Leeup couple miles from my house that is 180 feet above sea. Look up the hills of San Antonio Florida. Lots of small bumps. I can leave from my house and get 5000 feet of climb in a century if I work hard enough and do some repeats.

Kayaking the Killbuck Creek swamps today (about 15 miles from our house). The water was crystal clear, temps were a perfect 59° and sunny and everything is just starting to bloom. I only paddled about 5 miles total. It was more of a slow and relaxed stroll through the woods. My wife and son hiked the nearby trails and our daughter missed out because she was hanging out at my sister's house.

Attachments

• 3987.jpeg
    3987.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 3986.jpeg
    3986.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 3985.jpeg
    3985.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 3984.jpeg
    3984.jpeg