• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors The running, biking, hiking, camping forum

I don't know much about the spy bike systems, but some of them look pretty good. That Trek looks good. Not a bad price either. 

It's the lightness of road bikes (how fragile they can feel) and how high my center of gravity is on them that I've noticed sometimes - like maybe after riding a mountain bike a lot or after a bad crash. But the feeling goes away quickly and they can really fly!

You really want to feel sketchy get on a T.T. bike. Definitely takes some time to get use to. How tall are you Voodoo? Never used one of those tracking devices besides on me for some races. My cycling computer can be tracked but if it's not on the bike then what. I would totally be besides myself if any of my bikes got stolen.

Happy Thanksgiving boys.
us2P5Gnfhw7pJ71d_weEwgkUCeb4u-MjerUpH6ZtU0k-2048x1152.jpg

about 5'8, but I like the larger bikes. There is this one guy out there that rides a 65 with 34 inch tires I believe. I think he is 7 foot. Can spot him from a mile. I dumped an entire 16 gram co2 into his flat and it didn't even make a dent. He had a long 12 mile walk back home.

That XL is way to big for you. I'm 5 11 and ride a 56 which is a large. Don't be scared of no road bike either, they fun. Actually cleaning and getting mine all ready for a quick over night trip tomorrow. Headed to Gainesville, I think it's only 113 each way.

Plan was 200 miles today at Flatwoods. Wrecked at 105,finished 109 at 22.7 mph. Next two weeks will be high intensity shorter miles. Sebring 3 weeks!

Thanks and where the fuct is Voodoo? Probably crushing some decent as we type. I'm healing, pretty nasty bruise on my right hip, training has been difficult but i'm at it. Made a ghetto disc wheel for Sebring if I decide it helps. It's a old 700 c wheel cover that I cut down for a 650. zip ties and some 3m tape and we have a full disc rear wheel. Iv'e rode it twice and I think it's going to work. Hopefully half a mile a hour extra,  which is a lot during a 24 hour race. 

khlji9s02cfFScwi-gTnOhi5Ykptt2243DVlptln2H0-2048x1152.jpg

Glad the damage wasn't worse.  Hips can really suck.  Do you expect much wind at Sebring?  Seems like it would be a pretty good aero/handling setup with the recumbent and the full/partial disc combination. 

Two weeks left to prepare!

Its usually windy as all get out. Two years ago there was 40 mph gusts. Peoples tents were blowing around in the pits,lol. Actually some wind and heat definitely gives me an advantage as its mostly what we have to train in here. Even the Florida boys that do all there training early mornings to avoid the heat end up on the side of the road melting, lol.

sicman said:
Its usually windy as all get out. Two years ago there was 40 mph gusts. Peoples tents were blowing around in the pits,lol. Actually some wind and heat definitely gives me an advantage as its mostly what we have to train in here. Even the Florida boys that do all there training early mornings to avoid the heat end up on the side of the road melting, lol.

How was Sebring, sicman?  Did you run the rear disk and did it perform well?

Main biking season starting here soon.  Road bike needs a full overhaul, as multiple things were wearing down toward the end of last season.  Did wheels and new tubes and tires today.  Planning new bar wraps this weekend, too.  Gears and drive train need attention, which will be a pain.  Saddle's getting really worn as well.  I have a replacement ready for it, but it's not the same saddle and I'm always reluctant to switch saddles on the road bike.

Man, 3 days before the race all of us 24 hour guys were informed we wouldn't be able to use the tract for the second 12 hours. It caused a huge up roar is a under statement. Several of us were only there for track records. They wanted us to do a 1.75 mile out and back with 2 u turns for 13 hours. Every 5 to 6 minutes I would have had to un clip do a sit up and then surge back to 20. Guys on TT bikes had to change to road bikes because the two turns would have also been murder. Barely anyone did the 24 and lots of sponsors are pissed. Me and a buddy, Chris that would have gotten into the 500 club boycotted and threw a Sebring sucks party.

Hopefully everything gets back to normal next year? Dirty Pecan 200 is 2 weeks from today. Chris and I are both entered and 5hen I have a race the following week if I'm recovered enough. We did a century 2 days ago with 80 miles in the Green Swamp for a tune up.

That sucks about the Sebring.  How the heck could they not have known sooner than 3 days before the race?

sicman said:
What saddles are you using and switching to?

I've had a San Marco Ponza Power saddle on it for a long time now.  It's ugly, but it's worked great.  Tried swapping it a while back, but the new saddle was a no go and the San Marco, despite being worn and tattered, still worked fine.  I picked up a Selle Italia Flite when the replacement failed, but have put off using. Might be time to bite the bullet now going into a new season, as the San Marco was starting to feel not quite right.

One of the reasons some of us were so mad. I found the SCCA schedule and they had this years entire race schedule out at the end of last year. So it seems like they would have known in December?
Never used either of those saddles. I'm running a Prologo pas str naco space on my road bike. Whatever all that means,lol. On my gravel basically the same but a little different model. On the TT it's a fizik Triton. Mountain bike, wtb speed.

Yeah, when I see things go down like that I tend to suspect an announcement was withheld to avoid loss of attendance and race fees.  Sucks, but sounds like you have the Dirty Pelican and plenty of other races coming down the pike.

I run a Volt on my MTB, too.  I like narrow saddles with limited padding.  Last time I tried changing saddles on the road bike it aggravated a nerve and I had to lay off a while to let it recover, which was damn frustrating. That's the only time it's ever happened, but it has me gun-shy about changing now.

Your absolutely right about the race trying to not lose money. It ended up turning into a shit show, so it was best to boycott. Someone got hit by a car and is still in the hospital. Another fell at the the beginning and broke his collar bone. Best of luck with your new saddle a d where is Voodoo!?

Back