• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

"The Scovie Chronic-le"

That thing is at least swell if not downright nifty.

Awesome carving . I love Raven stories, stealing the sun is a favourite. Any kind if trickster character really . Coyote,raven , Loki

Thanks guys. I am with you Ashen, Raven was always a favorite of mine to do. And Killer Whales. Have you been to the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver? Bill Reid's 'Raven With First Men' is awe inspiring. If nothing just the size of it. Haida legend says that Raven landed on the shore one day and opened a clam shell where the first men came out. Raven discovered man.

82721fc2bee35ab84e7dd34634f921bc.jpg

40b990127d7614a0ca83c5090f36521e.jpg

re03_04b.jpg

That is just one of a few dozen pieces of mine. That was the BIGGEST by far but I have done carving (relief and 3-D), Paint on wood and paint on paper. Even some window and mirror etching. I haven't done any of it since the mid 90's. My business keeps me busy enough.

Scoville DeVille said:
Thanks guys. I am with you Ashen, Raven was always a favorite of mine to do. And Killer Whales. Have you been to the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver? Bill Reid's 'Raven With First Men' is awe inspiring. If nothing just the size of it. Haida legend says that Raven landed on the shore one day and opened a clam shell where the first men came out. Raven discovered man.

attachicon.gif
82721fc2bee35ab84e7dd34634f921bc.jpg

attachicon.gif
40b990127d7614a0ca83c5090f36521e.jpg

attachicon.gif
re03_04b.jpg

I haven't seen that but if I ever get out to Vancouver I will make sure to.. I have seen his Spirit of Haida Gwaii  at the Museum of History in Hull Quebec.  which is the plaster master I think, there are  bronze casts  of it at the vancouver airport and the Canadian Embassy in D.C.

http://www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exhibitions/aborig/grand/gh04eng.shtml

They used to have have an image of it on the back of the 20$ bill .

If you ever fly into the Vancouver airport they have a tons of Haida art actually.  A lot more than the last time I went through  15 yrs ago. 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=haida+art+at+vancouver+airport&biw=1920&bih=970&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjMsrSEsprPAhUGXh4KHc1AB20Q_AUIBigB

just watched this while googling about the art at the vancouver airport.  thought you might like it. 

https://youtu.be/pT5Ti_mnC7o

My dad spent most of his life carving, but on a much smaller scale...

14344767_160572571058703_5130577410688109143_n.jpg

14333677_160572607725366_6227107004490490174_n.jpg

14333591_160572691058691_8212227548200521091_n.jpg

He quit carving around 5 years ago, and never took a dime for his art (he's 87). He'd carve little life-size mice and paint them up to look real, then set them around the kitchen and Mom's sewing room...It's a wonder he's still alive...One of my favorites was a huge white crappie that he painted and mounted like a trophy catch. He fooled so many people with that one, especially fishermen...

Sorry I haven't been around here, and I DID NOT QUIT! lol

I have all of a sudden been obsessed with finding my Birth Family.

Being born in Wyoming, it's impossible to get my birth records. Wyoming's adoption laws are so fucked up, They won't allow an adopted child possession of their birth records. Other states have relaxed their "Closed Adoption" laws like Washington, $400 bucks and they will hand over everything they have on you. Anyway, I am having to go about it in different ways.

Adoption Registry websites, Ancestry.com, are pretty consuming of my time. I submitted my DNA test to Ancestry.com 2 years ago and their wasn't much there to see. Since then, more people have submitted theirs and I have just recently been in contact with 2, 2nd cousins. One of which is 72 years old, lives in Nebraska, and swears her cousin is my Birth Mother. She is going to be contacting her in the next few days and will see if she is receptive. I will only believe a DNA test so even if she submits one, it will probably be another 2 month wait. What a fucken trip.

I sure miss all of you and will try to pop in more often.

Glad you are here again Scovie.  If I can give you a piece of advice, keep following through as you are, but don't live or die on each thing you do.  Keep being optimistic, but don't let yourself get too wrapped up in each opportunity.  I am happy you found Heather, and you should remain friends, but let the evidence come to bear before you get so emotionally involved next time.  Good luck my friend.

Back