food The Soup Thread

Looks good, but I've never heard of putting baking soda on chicken to plump it. Does it visibly work?

Rairdog said:
Whats pho? 
Soup, most often with noodles. Vietnamese name for the same.

Brought home a hambone from Cristmas at Mom's. Soup to come. Either 10 ( or however many) bean or split pea. Just wish it wasn't 70 and humid here in DC. Definately not soup weather.

Using my King Oyster. Veg soup with cream and tapioca to thicken it a bit (Yellow Hap)

P1037392_KingOysterSoup-1000_zps1prdcczd.jpg

We're having garbanzo chard soup for dinner tonight. One of our favorites. 

Fry some finely diced celery and carrots in olive oil.

When they start to brown, add diced onion and shallot.

When they get fragrant, add ~6 cups chicken stock, 6 cans drained garbanzo beans and a big can of diced tomatoes. 

Add 2t fresh thyme, 1/2 t pepper, 2T malih-helow flakes, 2 bay leaves, 6 diced jalapeños (seeded) and about 12 oz roasted, peeled hatch and hungarian wax peppers.

Bring to a boil and add about 3 lb frozen swiss chard petioles, diced.

Return to simmer and let cook ~30 min.

Bring to a boil again and add all the leaves that you took off the aforementioned petioles. Cut or shred them into ~2" pieces.

Return to a simmer and let it go 'till it gets happy.

Here's tonights batch before I added the leaves.
IMG_0585_zpspfjvorjc.jpg

Here are the leaves. Cleaned, shredded and frozen last fall.
IMG_0587_zpss4mhgxq3.jpg

Here it is all put together. Dinner time is in a half hour! 
IMG_0589_zpsap35wlwd.jpg

This stuff freezes really well. One of those meals you make in winter to heat and humidify the house with the stove, and in doing so, you stock your freezer with easy, healthy, microwaveable meals to eat all summer long. Even better if you serve it over orzo.

Back