• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

TheGreenChileMonster's 2016 Grow

Well, I finally decided to start a Glog.  I have quite a few plants that ore OW from last year, and some new ones that I started this January.  Here is the list, lots of pics to follow, I'm still in the process of planting out.  Most everything is going into root pouches, and pots, but I do have 9 total rocoto plants in the ground as well.

Aji Amarillo
Aji Arnaucho
Aji Dulce
Aji Limo
Aji Pineapple
Aji Pacay
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Lemon Drop
Aji Fantasy Yellow
Peruvian Red Rocoto
Giant Peruvian Red Rocoto (Miraflores Market)
Rocoto Cusco
Mini Rocoto
Brown Rocoto
Orange Rocoto
Rocoto Peron
Rocoto Montufar
Red Manzano
Yellow Manzano
Aji Oro (Rocoto)
Aji Largo (Rocoto)
Rocoto Arequipeno
Guatemalan Red Rocoto
Guatemalan Orange Rocoto
Ecuadorian Red Rocoto
Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto
Peru Bitdumi
Chocolate Bhutlah
Chocolate Brainstrain
Pipi De Mono
Aribibi Gusano
Peach Bhut Jolokia
Carolina Reaper
Peach Scorpion
Peach Ghost Scorpion
White Fatalli
Bolsa De Dulce
Tepin x Lemon Drop
PDN x Bhut (Ripens Cream)
Coyote Zan White
Red Primo

Devv said:
Very well taken care of, just beautiful plants!

Try sulfur powder for mites. I mix a small amount, like one tsp to a gallon and use a small spray bottle. Soak the leaves twice a week. Keep them in the shade (no direct sun) until the treatment is done.
Thanks for the tip man. I have been using Natria, which the main mite killing ingredient is sulfur. It works very well, amd has save most of my plants, but the mites are resilient little rascals, and have built some type of tolerance to it. Neem doesn't phase them either.

Red Manzano getting hammered with shriveled gnarly hooks of leaves on all of the new growth.

Peruvian Red Rocoto also getting gnarly shrivelled hooks on all new growth.

It sucks, because these plants had beat the mites, and were recovering, but then started getting ravaged again in the past week. I have them quarantined, along with a few others. At least the rest of my plants are loving life right now!

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Yeah, it always sucks to lose plants. I was really curious about those Guatemalan Orange Rocoto, since I'm growing several of the red ones, and they are extremely prolific. I don't have any more Rocoto plants that make orange pods left alive unfortunately, but hopefully my rocoto Arequipeño will gift me with a few orange pods like it did last year.
I think I have more orange/yellow Rocotos than reds.
I'll save you seeds from those!

az1000 said:
I think I have more orange/yellow Rocotos than reds.
I'll save you seeds from those!
That would be mighty kind of you sir. I still have a couple of yellow varieties left that are healthy. The mini rocoto are very tasty BTW. Thanks a bunch for those seeds!

grantmichaels said:
Neat ...

Planning to do some brewing this weekend, here, as well!
Nice! It"s my first rocoto infused saison. I made a rocoto capsicumel last season that was way too spicy to share with non chile heads. This saison should be just right.

3.2 lbs pilsner malt
1 lb wheat malt
.8 lb vienna malt
3 lb pilsen DME
1 lb bavarian wheat DME
4 lb Orange blossom honey
Zest of 3 lemons
6 Mini Rocoto
2 oz. Citra
1 oz. Cascade
1/4 tsp. Irish moss
3 tsp. Yeast nutrient
1 tsp. Yeast energizer
Wyeast 3711

Mash grain at 158 for one hour. Sparge at 168. Add 3 lb. pilsen and 1 lb. bavarian wheat DME at 90 minute boil, plus one ounce Citra. At 45 minutes add .5 cascade. At 30 minutes add .5 citra. At 15 minutes add .5 cascade. At 5 minutes add fresh zest from 3 lemons. At flame out add .5 of citra for 5 minute stand. Aerate 4 lbs. of orange blossom honey with 1 tsp. of yeast energizer 3tsp. of yeast nutrient in a carboy with water to make volume 2.5 gallons. Add chilled wort, and bring to just over 6 gallons. Aerate vigorously. Pitch wyeast 3711 directly, or a starter. Attach airlock or blowoff tube. On secondary "Dry hop" with 6 ripe mini rocoto, split in half, tasting every second day until desired flavor/spicyness has been achieved. Bottle/keg. Enjoy!

OCD Chilehead said:
Plants are looking amazing. That's what a early start does. I need to start a little earlier in the Super's. I started later this year. Can't wait to see pod's. Great job!

Thanks for sharing. Great update!
Thanks! To get a head start I germinate new plants in January/February. Several of my plants are OW that I grow every year. I started some of my rocoto plants last fall, just to grow this year. Eventually I plan on having a greenhouse. That would make my wife very happy, due to there not being so many plants in the house over the winter.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
Thanks! To get a head start I germinate new plants in January/February. Several of my plants are OW that I grow every year. I started some of my rocoto plants last fall, just to grow this year. Eventually I plan on having a greenhouse. That would make my wife very happy, due to there not being so many plants in the house over the winter.
I usually start Feb. 1st. This year I did pretty good starting later. Started all
My plants in Aerogardens. My Super's, I made the mistake of letting them get root bound. Major shock. Live and learn.

Next year, I'll start the Chinese first. Hope to have a usable green house. I'll get them in the ground early. Going to try and overwinter some plants this year.

OCD Chilehead said:
Plants look good. That food looks delicious. Never grown the Amarillo. Trying to find a couple new varieties for next year. I'm searching different seed sources. So many different Aji's, it's amazing.
Aji amarillo is my favorite baccatum by far. I would highly recommend growing it. I save seeds from all of the largest pods. If you need any, I'm always down to share. You need to start them really early indoors, like January to get good yields of ripe pods in the Summer. They OW very well too. I'm really stoked, because my aji Pacae plants are finally flowering. They are extremely rare in the States. It's a version of the aji amarillo that can grow over 10 inches. I'm growing or have grown most of the standard Peruvian ajis, but there are a few elusive ones that I just can't seem to find. I was gifted the aji pacae seeds, as well as aji mochero. The mochero didn't germinate though, so I'm still on the prowl for that one.

This article is actually pretty good, describing the most commonly used ajis in various regions of Peruvian cuisine.

http://www.eltrinche.com/la-despensa/aji-quien-es-quien/

Back