• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

This day in the life off a chilenerd...

Sid03SVT said:
yeah i cant wait to try a piece of a bhut pepper from my one remaining bhut plant (damn cat) i agree with you, theres hot, very hot, stupid hot, and so hot that i cant really enjoy it.
it was really hard. shame too, because the initial flavor is quite good.

Chiliac said:
I have used Bhuts in cooking but I am yet to eat my first fresh pod or at least a slice of it. Reports like yours kinda scare me, though!!! :party:
I was scared myself. I forgot to post, but yesterday at work i had a leftover tilapia with scotch bonnet sandwich and i added pieces of the bhut to it and adding it to food really changes the equation. The tilapia tasted awesome with the scotch bonnet and bhut together. The heat was rockin too. ;) I also found that the more i ate of it, the more i added to it. I found i was craving more bhut as i ate. That's a good sign and a reason to overwinter that badboy.

So today i'm planning in my mind what kind of chile pepper concentrates i'll make using AJs recipe. I'm looking at roughly 3 styles, or two perhaps. If i go two styles, it'll have to be one with just habs. i have tons of red and orange habs in the freezer. also going to make a fatalii. i'm likely to dry my bhuts, but i guess i could make a bhut concentrate and use some green bhuts as filler for the concentrate. i'll have to ponder that some more.

Todays lunch was some leftover wings with which i roasted some deseeded scotch bonnets here at work. i'm of course saving the seeds to add to my seed pack. so yeah, more SBs to share. they have some good heat to them too. a nice dizzying effect. bhut bonnet concentrate anyone??

(mental note: buy cheap food scale)

Lookie what i found at Whole Foods today. Whoa! With the size of these i'm considering saving seeds. Might make nice mutants to play with this spring. Thoughts anyone?

IMG_0534.jpg

Got this as a gift...
IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

Cranberry Bhut Jolokia Jelly. Same guy makes Orange Habanero jelly, and i tried them both. Both equally good. I had the CranBhutJolokia this morning on pancakes. Gooooood stuff!

patrick said:
Looking good. How does it work with peanut butter though? That's the real test of jelly.

I thought it was jelly wrestling. I wonder if Hunan Body is a new and upcoming scientific term?

Man did Steph and I have a nice afternoon!

We were on our way to the supermarket and Steph said "Let's go to Pennsylvania. We can stop at that River Horse Brewery or something." So, we went to Lambertville, NJ and headed right to River Horse. For a measly $1 you can have as many draft samples as you want. So we had a couple pints worth and i bought a sixer of Belgian Freeze and a 4pk of the Double Wit and an AC-DC style RH-BC t-shirt before we headed out.

From there we stopped at a Coach outlet in PA for you-know-who. Once that was over we headed right to New Hope, PA and had a lunch that cannot be beat at El Taco Loco and got a couple burritos. Mine was pretty darn hot, surprisingly enough, but i added some FineExampl's ESB Hot Sauce to it anyway.

From there it was a short walk to Susie Hot Sauce to see if they had any dried bhut jolokias in stock. They didn't, but they did have some Defcon 1 wing sauce, which i've been looking for forever. Sure enough, they did, so i bought a bottle. While i was paying i whipped out my bottle of ESB and was asked if they could sample it. I obliged and was told "that has to be the best homebrew hot sauce i've tasted all year" and was given a business card once i go semi-pro (if i do). That's a really big compliment to me.

After that we did our food shopping where we got some essentials and i stumbled on the Hot Wheels Ghia i've been searching around for.

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

I had a spoonful of the Defcon1 a bit ago HippySeedCo style.

Sweet lord that's hot! I am so not a fan of extract burn. So, that's my only complaint. It's really good stuff, don't get me wrong, but i think i prefer natural sauces. That said, i am looking forward to some Defcon1 wings soon. :)

Went to the Little India section of the town i live in today. I think i hit the motherlode, and this isn't counting what i left behind.
IMG_0641.jpg

If anyone can tell me ANYTHING about these chiles, please do.

Also got some rad eggplant and other junk. :D

and placed a supply order from American Science & Surplus
www.sciplus.com

1 27906P1 POLY BAG, 2" X 3" W/STRIP $2.25
1 38781P1 PLANTARIUM $6.95
1 88987P1 BEAKER, 1000ML $7.95
1 88219P1 HYDRION PH PAPER $1.95
1 88221P1 LG TEST TUBE BRUSH $1.25

The bags are for seeds and freebies when i sell hot sauce. The plantarium is to grow something. Everyone need a big ol beeker. Some PH tester strips for hot sauce production. And a test tube brush because i never have one when i need one.

All of these will either help my garden or my kitchen. Yay surplus!

just finished making a new chile powder. I'm playfully calling it sinister seven.

it has...
Chocolate hab
tian jin
indian red round (unknown variety)
red and yellow hab
yellow siam (maybe?)
tepin

I have a feeling it's potent as my girl was sneezing in the living room. Me? I'm burning all over and i got a good clearing of my sinuses. (none of which went into the powder. ;)

I tried one of the curd chiles last night. I have to say, once you get past the salt (there's ALOT), these things are very tasty and HOT! A slow burn, but a pleasant one. It went well with the beer i was drinking. :) Apparently they soak red chiles in sour yogurt and salt for a long time and than dry them for a week in the sun. That's how they get bleached white as you see in the pic above.

it looks like you stocked up on some bags of chiles :cool:
sorry I can't help you with the names or anything, the fresh green chiles do look kinda thai'ish but then thats such a basic shape so it could many types.

Back