• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

This day in the life off a chilenerd...

After my chili eating fiesta testerday, i was suffering from some severe hunan hole. my ring was a burnin! i still don't feel so hot, but i think it had to do with those empenadas. i don't do well with fried foods. i should have known better.

After munching some blueberries on the ride in, i'm now having the last can of the g'day gourmet chili tuna. This can is NOTICEABLY hotter than the last can. I like it!

update on the chili tuna...

this particular can had two WHOLE chilis inside! Nice!! What i recommend is to wash your hands and squeeeeeeeeeeze the guts of the pepper out into the tuna. It's all nice and mushy and you can mix it in. Yum!! All the fish oils have leached inside and extracted some yummy pepper goodness.

fineexampl said:
update on the chili tuna...

this particular can had two WHOLE chilis inside! Nice!! What i recommend is to wash your hands and squeeeeeeeeeeze the guts of the pepper out into the tuna. It's all nice and mushy and you can mix it in. Yum!! All the fish oils have leached inside and extracted some yummy pepper goodness.

Yeah, I do that. I also mince up the pepper for my tuna salad sammich. No use wasting stuff eh? :)

I just wish they used a hab...hmmm...wonder if I could make my own.

Cape May Trip 2008

Went again this year and this year i bought hot stuff

Busha Brown's Hot Pepper Jelly (scotch bonnets, nice!), Dave's Hurtin Habanero Honey Mustard, Blair's Heat Chipotle Slam, and Mad Dog 357
IMG_0368.jpg

Fort Collins Brewery 12pk
I had all but the stout and The Kidd and Z were my hands-down favorites. The red was too bitter for my taste and the pomegranate was forgettable. I'll be buying the other two again however.
IMG_0370.jpg

So far i had the Blair's and while it's nothing to yell about, it was pretty good. My only complaint? It tastes like alot of Blair's sauces. Not a bad thing, but i wanted a smokier taste and was let down.

I had the 357. Yes, it's VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY hot. It's crazy stupid painful hot. What's bad about that? Flavor. This stuff has the most rancid, awful, horrible, terrible, disgusting, putrid, gross, worst flavor i have EVER tasted in a food product or additive EVER! I would not wish this on my worst enemy, however...i need to get rid of it if i can. Otherwise it goes in the collection of "never to be opened again" sauces as the first entry.

So...anyone who has $5 plus shipping can get a deal on the 357.

Haven't had the jelly or the mustard, but I'm looking forward to it. The ingredients look good and both have good reps with the respective brand names.

You know, fineexampl I was without internet service for the last week to ten days and I missed most of this thread. However, I must say this was very entertaining reading. I laughed a bit especially about the 357. I share your sentiments on that one. Oh and going back a bit, it's always that second hab that does me in too.

JayT said:
You know, fineexampl I was without internet service for the last week to ten days and I missed most of this thread. However, I must say this was very entertaining reading. I laughed a bit especially about the 357. I share your sentiments on that one. Oh and going back a bit, it's always that second hab that does me in too.
For sure man. At least i'm not alone on the 357. It was completely vile. Heat must have good flavor in order to be worth anything.

I was going to try the jelly just now, but i wanted something more. So, i diced up two fresh orange habs i had ripening on the windowsill while i was away. Tossed em into some scrambled eggs and onto a piece of bread. Nice healthy snack. :):onfire:

My boss and my woman both say to me all the time, "do you have to put something hot on EVERYTHING you eat?" Sounds like you were looking for a vehicle for the habs on that one. I use quesadillas. Any leftover meat from a meal gets chopped up tossed into the frying pan with some chile oil fresh peppers (whatever I have on hand) some onions maybe, then put into a fresh tortilla with some Monterey Jack cheese and whatever sauce I fancy that night.

JayT said:
My boss and my woman both say to me all the time, "do you have to put something hot on EVERYTHING you eat?" Sounds like you were looking for a vehicle for the habs on that one. I use quesadillas. Any leftover meat from a meal gets chopped up tossed into the frying pan with some chile oil fresh peppers (whatever I have on hand) some onions maybe, then put into a fresh tortilla with some Monterey Jack cheese and whatever sauce I fancy that night.
That's good eating. No different in this home. Geurilla/MacGuyver cooking is the way to go.

fineexampl said:
I had the 357. Yes, it's VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY hot. It's crazy stupid painful hot. What's bad about that? Flavor. This stuff has the most rancid, awful, horrible, terrible, disgusting, putrid, gross, worst flavor i have EVER tasted in a food product or additive EVER! I would not wish this on my worst enemy, however...i need to get rid of it if i can. Otherwise it goes in the collection of "never to be opened again" sauces as the first entry.

I couldn't agree more, I use it to stop Murphy eating my plants, even he won't touch the stuff. I'd rather drink toilet water than this stuff.

That's good to know, very good to know. I like to try some new (to me!) sauces all the time, i.e. whenever I can afford to and I guess this is one to avoid!
smilie_krank_012.gif

I hate these bottles you only open once to find you don't like the contents. We have a quite popular hab based sauce over here, so I got myself a bottle and don't like it at all. The heat is okay, but it leaves you behind with an ugly taste all over your tongue as if you've cleaned the toilet with it. Bah!

Got a new pack of Naga Snakebite sauces yesterday, these should keep me entertained for a little while! :)

rainbowberry said:
I couldn't agree more, I use it to stop Murphy eating my plants, even he won't touch the stuff. I'd rather drink toilet water than this stuff.

Toilet water? Although I have never tried the stuff and doubt that I will after reading everyone's comments, but toilet water is a tad extreame...:P :lol:

Ah well if toilet water is good enough for my dog :lol:

Have you ever tried Mad Dog Peeper Freak? If you haven't don't bother.

* Sorry I meant Pepper Freak :shocked:

Lookie here what i found at Delicious Orchards in Colts Neck, NJ.

$9.99lb, but worth every penny! I bought 2lbs. :D Could they be savinas? Doubtful, but still, these are the best red habs i've seen in months.
IMG_0016-1.jpg

Today marks yet another hot day in Jersey. This is great for the plants. It's also a good day to be a chilenerd because i got a package in the mail from the Chilli Seed Company. I got 2 small bottles of Chilli Focus fertilizer. I figured i'd give it a whack and see if i see results. I have a plant that needs some love. In that same box was a free packet of Hungarian Hot Wax seeds which i will save for next year.

Also in there was the 2 bags of Habanero Gummy Bears! :D I dove right in and the first thing i said once the heat kicked in was "Rock on!" These little buggers are awesome! :) I suspect they will not last very long.

imaguitargod said:
How did you think gumjmbie bears were made? Haven't you seen the gumbie bear cartoon in the 90's?
But these are the "Biting Bears". They're boinking in German in the pic. Especially the couple doing the reverse cowgirl. Those two are into scat play though. Freakin weirdos.

Back