• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

This years lineup...

chilehunter said:
omri - dont quit using the :rolleyes: maybe its just a misunderstanding how you use it ?

to others - well I went grocery shopping today & saw some monster jalapenos. remembering you all were talking about them so I bought some :lol: I never seen jalapenos that big before 4" long 1.25"-1.5" wide they might not be your "gigantia jalapeno" but these werent the normal size jalapenos they stocked before (which are much smaller)
It has a certain meaning around here, so I should just stop using it.

Now about those peppers, can we see pics? :lol:

do you really want to see pics of them ? they're just a bigger jalapeno & green. it was more of a impulse buy because they looked cool, never seen them that big before. also not a big fan of jalapenos (over rated IMO) but they looked cool :lol:

chilehunter said:
do you really want to see pics of them ? they're just a bigger jalapeno & green. it was more of a impulse buy because they looked cool, never seen them that big before. also not a big fan of jalapenos (over rated IMO) but they looked cool :lol:
I really like JalapeƱos, so it's ok. ;)
Also you just said:
they looked cool
Twice! so show some pics.

I had a feeling you'd say that, so here you go to satisfy your jalapeno fix :lol: I bet theres bigger jalapenos than these but for me those were the biggest I've seen.

DSCF1004.jpg

chilehunter said:
I had a feeling you'd say that, so here you go to satisfy your jalapeno fix :lol: I bet theres bigger jalapenos than these but for me those were the biggest I've seen.

DSCF1004.jpg
They're just really big, not fat or thin... weird. :shocked:
Nice. :cool:

Ok, wait, hold up!

You mean I just gave all you slobs a heaping helping toward winning the chileman.org 2008 growing contest?

Gack...it's just so hard to be a blonde sometimes!

Thanks Pam but the secret's been out already its been discussed on chillisgalore forum and like I said there,"What a poor discription. It doesn't say anything about heat or if its a hybrid or #of days to maturity. I'm tempted but I'd rather give my business to someone who puts more effort into their presentation. Also since its a burpee's exclusive it's likely not be the same as Gigantia."

That "Hot Pepper Zavory" looks intersting but them saying "The first ever Habanero with mild heat" is definitely false advertising. At least they added a decent description to this one, but its $11.50 a plant and they Don't ship here anyways.

POTAWIE said:
That "Hot Pepper Zavory" looks intersting but them saying "The first ever Habanero with mild heat" is definitely false advertising. At least they added a decent description to this one, but its $11.50 a plant and they Don't ship here anyways.

I thought the picture looked like a Trinidad Seasoning, and my first thought was that that they just renamed it. It's such an irritating practice, but so many commercial nurseries do it. When you're reading the history of so many heirlooms, you see where the name was often changed by a commercial nursery.

POTAWIE said:
Thanks Pam but the secret's been out already its been discussed on chillisgalore forum and like I said there,"What a poor discription. It doesn't say anything about heat or if its a hybrid or #of days to maturity. I'm tempted but I'd rather give my business to someone who puts more effort into their presentation. Also since its a burpee's exclusive it's likely not be the same as Gigantia."

I don't really like Burpee, and that is pretty typical of them. However, when I saw it I thought it was what you were looking for; sorry!

They have a couple of interesting looking basils, but one they're only selling as a plant, and I'm suspicious of the information they give. At the prices they charge I would want to save seed, but I don't know if I would be able to or not. I'll probably put my money in some interesting lettuce varieties that Southern Exposure Seed Exchange has.

I'm not too happy with the choice of pepper for the 2008 chileman.org growing competition this year.
They are just too many hybrid jalapeno out there.
I think most people will be growing hybrids (crosses) of jalapeno and in my book any hybrid is not a real jalapeno.
So how will chileman control what people are growing?

I think its a great contest hybrids or not. Its all for fun and something everyone can get involved in. If I get a huge monster Jal from a hybrid, I may still save seeds and try to eventually de-hybridize it but it would be nice if the winner isn't a hybrid.

Were the pods red ripe? If so, I'd like to get some seeds if you saved a bunch. :) Maybe we can trade for something?

Chris

chilehunter said:
omri - dont quit using the :rolleyes: maybe its just a misunderstanding how you use it ?

to others - well I went grocery shopping today & saw some monster jalapenos. remembering you all were talking about them so I bought some :lol: I never seen jalapenos that big before 4" long 1.25"-1.5" wide they might not be your "gigantia jalapeno" but these werent the normal size jalapenos they stocked before (which are much smaller)

cmpman1974 said:
Were the pods red ripe? If so, I'd like to get some seeds if you saved a bunch. :) Maybe we can trade for something?

Chris
He posted a picture:

DSCF1004.jpg

They don't look ripe to me. :lol:

Omri Tobago Seasoning and Trinidad Seasoning should be exactly the same pepper. grow them out and tellme if its true. An excellent seasoning pepper I have been growing for a while is the St Martins, which is similiar again.

stillmanz said:
Omri Tobago Seasoning and Trinidad Seasoning should be exactly the same pepper. grow them out and tellme if its true. An excellent seasoning pepper I have been growing for a while is the St Martins, which is similiar again.
I heard the same thing, but someone around here said it's not (I think it was Pam).

Incidendtly this year I got growing
st martins
trinidad seasoning
trinidad congo
scotch bonnet
jamaican red hot
trinidad scorpion
prik kee nu
orange habanero
tepin
broome
fatalii