• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Tobago Seasoning

Grifo said:
Very interesting this yellow Tobago :shocked:

taste?

talas said:
MY thoughts Exactly Grifo :)

Haven't picked it yet, but it is getting darker yellow by the day...almost an orange tint to it...will take another photo when I get home today after work...

I have couple of small plants growing right now..will have to wait to see what I get..I received some seeds from Trini. Will give updates when the plant starts budding.

I have to guess that there is some yellow congo there.

I am starting to realize that these plants in Trinidad live for decades, so cross pollination isn't a frequent problem.

I bet most of mine from trini are crossed. (not complaining!)

But I believe the yellow congo was the only one that was supposed to be yellow.

There are also yellow scorpions, yellow 7-pots, and yellow Morougas from Trini but I don't know if Sara was growing all of these.

agreed on appreciating the seeds...the colors of them are spetacular...my yellow congos died from overlove...pout...the only ones I have left are the cherry top, T Scorpion, Tobago Seasoning, and 7 Pot

Here is a picture of my Tobago Seasoning...I think this baby is really going to stay yellow...it is darker yellow and almost completely ripe...

081808TobagoSeasoning.jpg

Picked it....

I picked the Tobago Seasoning Pepper today...it stayed yellow as you can see and is almost totally ripe...

081908aTobagoSeasoningRipe001.jpg

Picture of the inside...most seeds I think will be viable...

081908aTobagoSeasoningRipe002.jpg

Tasted the placenta...hmmmm...scorpion/7 pot Taste...now wheres the burn...

ate half a pod and wonderful taste but absolutely no burn

I have 5 of these plants total, 4 of which are not even putting buds on and the one that had this pepper, had two other peppers and a couple of buds forming....wonder how many I will get?

No heat at all thats Surprising..But flavor is king and would be a great accompaniment to a hot pepper..A.J if you have the Odd seed or two well,Ill raise a glass of Glenmorangie to you in the new year ;)

Let me see how many seeds I get from final harvest and they could be available

theHippySeedCo said:
sweeet,, 1 of my seedsaver friends is after a few seeds of them (i wouldn't mind a couple too) if anybodys got any spare :)

hi neil
i have 10 i can send you give us a pm with your address mate:)

cheezydemon said:
And to be honest, I am not certain that the flavor is "good". My first taste was so wierd I could hardly formulate an opinion. And I mentioned cardamom as a possible flavor profile, Cardamom is a seasoning that I still can't really find a use for.

Where is trini??? I need a recipe that these peppers are used in.

Hey Cheezy, maybe you can find a recipe in here:

http://www.naparimagirlscookbook.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/R2I0QRE6QNDWZ2

Cardamom... I love this spice (I love all spices). But in tea! I also use it in one rice dish when I do indian cooking...

I have one Tobago Seasoning plant that survived. I couldn't wait until they turned yellow.
Even the green are very good, without any heat whatsoever. Now I need to wait until the 10 or so pods change color for me.

Rainbowberry - my pods are longer, and they do not have distinct grooves like yours.

AJ - your pods looks yellow. May be you have yellow/orange strain of tobago seasoning. How is the production?

Tobago seasoning has been one of the highest production plant for its size so far. I have as many leaves as pods. The picture does not do any justice.
May be I got lucky with the seed. May be its my special magic..:lol:.

togagoseasoning_0808.jpg

I will definitely save some seeds to share after season.

Sanj said:
Rainbowberry - my pods are longer, and they do not have distinct grooves like yours.

AJ - your pods looks yellow. May be you have yellow/orange strain of tobago seasoning. How is the production?

Tobago seasoning has been one of the highest production plant for its size so far. I have as many leaves as pods. The picture does not do any justice.
May be I got lucky with the seed. May be its my special magic..:lol:.

togagoseasoning_0808.jpg

I will definitely save some seeds to share after season.

Sanj,

My pods look like yours. I have the first one turning yellow today.

(BTW, how are you able to post pics here?)

Back