• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Top This Sandwich! A sandwich posting game

TOP THIS SANDWICH!

POST A SANDWICH TO BE TOPPED
or
TRY TO TOP A SANDWICH!

HOW TO PLAY:

There are two ways to post a sandwich here.

1. Post what you feel is the best authentic, most unique, or most extreme version of a sandwich (anything goes), which cannot possibly be topped. At the top, post "Top This ____!" Example: Top This Grilled Cheese! Then, tell us about it.

2. The second way to post is to pick a sandwich to try to top. In this post you will mention whose sandwich you are trying to top, and provide a link to it by right clicking the post number (top right of post) and copying/pasting the link to yours. If you post a sandwich here, even if you are trying to top someone, you understand someone may try to top YOU!

GUIDELINES:

If it's not a know type of sandwich, all you have to do is try to top the sandwich using the main ingredient(s) and style of the sandwich, or the "gist" of the sandwich. I'm sure there will be a lot of creativity, so obviously you don't have to "recreate" what they did. The idea is to TOP it with your creativity (or skill!). If they posted a simple yet authentic sandwich, also keep it simple and authentic. Over-the-top isn't topping. It's all about the BEST!

No reposts! Make it for here or don't post it here. :)

This is for fun! It's up to you what tops what but there will be no official winners! Use the Like button.

Sandwich of ¨milanesa¨¨

2015-01-21%252014.18.20.jpg

2015-01-21%252014.18.24.jpg

Milanesa is: beef fillet breaded fried. It is a italian heilroom.

I think that is the most traditional food in the country. Even more than empanada. milanesa, can etat at plate, in sandwich, as you like

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the muffaletta

16253609467_7b38dafa9a_h.jpg

16439523405_d652c47104_h.jpg

16251856438_a72f17504c_h.jpg

No mortadella in this one. We have pastrami, black forest ham, salami, olive salad, and provolone cheese layered and toasted up on a kaiser roll.... the kaiser rolls tend to be a little easier to eat than the toasted Italian bread, so we stick to those when we make them at home.

mmm muffletta

Phil said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the muffaletta

16253609467_7b38dafa9a_h.jpg

16439523405_d652c47104_h.jpg

16251856438_c8b7773983_h.jpg

No mortadella in this one. We have pastrami, black forest ham, salami, olive salad, and provolone cheese layered and toasted up on a kaiser roll.... the kaiser rolls tend to be a little easier to eat than the toasted Italian bread, so we stick to those when we make them at home.

Mmm I'd tear that up after burnin one. 

cypresshill1973 said:
Looks good! But you eat a Sandwich with wine?  Awesome!

I like to beer for this food

.lol... the wine is the wife's. But yeah... why not? (Wannabe) French wine with Italian sammich!

I typically beer it, too

Cropped it a little as the site was making it small.

Those sammies are insane. I have never had a real one, but what I have had were delicious. I mean I guess it was real, but up here in NY. It was close.

The Hot Pepper said:
Cropped it a little as the site was making it small.

Those sammies are insane. I have never had a real one, but what I have had were delicious. I mean I guess it was real, but up here in NY. It was close.

If it's got all the right meats and cheeses, it's real. It's not a snobby sammich. And yes, the meats are interchangeable, as are the cheeses. The olive salad is the most important part

Yellow monster... yeah, my kitchen lighting does that. It's these damned curly Q light bulbs, I swear

Yeah. The olive salad def sets it off. The bread is key too as with any sandwich. Fresh baked round loaf, crusty outside, soft inside. I'd take sesame seeds on this sammie and I usually don't. Like you said in between you can mix meats and cheeses as long as they are salty meats in my opinion. Gotta have that salami no matter what other meat. And I'd take good provolone any day. Ahhh yeah.

I wiki'd the salad:

"The signature olive salad consists of olives diced with the celery, cauliflower and carrot found in a jar of giardiniera, seasoned with oregano and garlic, covered in olive oil, and allowed to combine for at least 24 hours."

I didn't know it was giardinera plus olives, oregano, garlic, olive oil. But there you go!

Yep. That's exactly right. Salty meats (cotto, Genoa, or plain old hard salami.... my favorite for these is Genoa, but it's not too important). My wife got me hooked on adding pastrami. And ham has to be on it. Try tossing some pepperoni on it, I'm sur eit would be great! It does need to be salty and tart. Crispy outside, soft inside bread. I used to use the traditional "muffaletta" loaves for these, but after we discovered how light and crispy the Kaisers were, we decided to stick with it.

Back