food Top This Sandwich! A sandwich posting game

I know the salad has a vinegar tang, I am assuming from that wiki quote, it's from the jarred giardinera. But if making your own, definitely needs vinegar. 

Do you put hot peppers ever? Cherry peppers would rock it!

Anyway, looks amazing! The bread I had was not traditional either but still slammin'!

I haven't attempted to make my own olive salad yet. I like to leave that to the pros, but hell yeah, cherry peppers would be amazing... matter of fact, I could always go to my local Italian delicatessen and pick up some roasted cherry peppers to add to the mix. Great idea!

Or pepperoncinis...... Yep. That would work too

NOT-A-MUFFALETTA

But try this.

Needed:
Olive tapanade and loosely chopped pickled cherry peppers mixed.
A good Italian sesame hero or French baguette.

You cut the bread in half and stack it like this:
Bottom half: Olive tapanade mix, then meat, then cheese.
Top half: Cheese, then meat, then olive mix.
Then put the halves in the oven at 250 until cheese drips. Around 15-20 minutes. Then slam it shut!
Then you have, from top to bottom: Cheese, meats, olive mix, cheese, meats, olive mix.

Try it with fresh mozzarealla, capicola, salami, and mortadella. Prosciutto cotto works great too! (Cotto means cooked, it's basically a really good ham, it is cooked prosciutto.)  Even "good" turkey (as in fresh turkey) works in there with salami but not the other meats.

It's really good. I've made various combos.

Nah, Phil wins today. I can't beat that shizzness. It just makes me hungry for makeshift muffalettas I have enjoyed lol. 

The Hot Pepper said:
NOT-A-MUFFALETTA

But try this.

Needed:
Olive tapanade and loosely chopped pickled cherry peppers mixed.
A good Italian sesame hero or French baguette.

You cut the bread in half and stack it like this:
Bottom half: Olive tapanade mix, then meat, then cheese.
Top half: Cheese, then meat, then olive mix.
Then put the halves in the oven at 250 until cheese drips. Around 15-20 minutes. Then slam it shut!
Then you have, from top to bottom: Cheese, meats, olive mix, cheese, meats, olive mix.

Try it with fresh mozzarealla, capicola, salami, and mortadella. Prosciutto cotto works great too! (Cotto means cooked, it's basically a really good ham, it is cooked prosciutto.)  Even "good" turkey (as in fresh turkey) works in there with salami but not the other meats.

It's really good. I've made various combos.

Pook, that sounds like a hella sandwich. You could probably serve that here and have people wanting to slap the guy behind the counter at Central Grocery! I usually don't think about using prosciutto because of the cured texture, but the cooked (cotto) prosciutto would fix that perfectly! Plus the capicola and mortadella.... man... that's like an antipasto platter between bread. A good ciabatta would be great, too! I'd probably go for the baguette, though. Awesome! Now I'm hungry again!

Yes those meats are divine. And you NEED to check out prosciutto cotto! At my Italain store they have it with or without herbs. I get herbs.

The cotto for just really good ham, the capicola for the hot ham, the salami for the salty spiced sausage (I like soppressata) and the mortadella for the "awesome" tasting bologna, and bam! Perfection!

I could do all four but 2-3 is good too.

And ciabatta is perfect yes!

Try the cotto!

Another awesome ham is French ham. It is tender as hell and they leave a lot of fat on, there's even a fat layer around it. That stuff is awesome!

EDIT: Apparently the name is Jambon de Bayonne. Seriously check that stuff out. I've never had ham so silky soft. I wouldn't mix it in that sammie though. Try it with cheese only. Not heated.

Sopressata is fantastic. Last time I bought it, none of it made its way to bread, because I ate it all like it was a pack of sliced pepperoni. Yeah, I'm going to go for it with all of the Italian meats. I may not go for 4, because knowing me, I'd end up spending $60 on meats to make a sandwich! Ha!

Jambon de Bayonne, huh? I'd like to try that. I love a good ham. I never buy that square or round processed ham stuff. Always sliced off the bone. Chisesi's pride is one of the best locally. Manda's is great too, but I'd love to try that Jambon ham bone! Sounds like you can make a monster thick sandwich that you can bite right through.... with real American cheese.... no Kraft. Land o' Lakes.

Yea try it. And not Boar's Head, do you have a good place that imports hams and such?

P.S. - I see you can get an 11 lb ham of that Jambon de Bayonne on Amazon... for $200!

http://www.amazon.com/DArtagnan-Jambon-de-Bayonne--/dp/B0008JGW4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423087015&sr=8-1&keywords=jambon+de+bayonne

A place called Randazzo's orders all of their meats directly from Italy. Not sure if they deal with the French Prosciutto, but I sure don't mind asking. If not, I can order online.... scary, huh??

The Hot Pepper said:
 And not Boar's Head,

No... not Boar's Head. Boar's Head isn't bad, but it isn't great. They've taken over most grocery chain deli cases around me.

The stuff I had wasn't cured like prosciutto. So I re-googled. Then I called my place lol.

It's called French Ham (but both are) but the one they have is cooked. It's called Jambon de Paris on the web. THAT is the silky soft juicy ham I had. However in most pics there is no fat layer. This did have a fat layer around it. So I found one. It's this:

Jambon de Paris

jambon_de_paris.jpg

HEAVEN!

LOLOLOL!

You idiot. Taylor ham is pork roll, chopped meat. WTH?

That's what Wawa has in Jersey on their 99c breakfast sammies.

lol

The Hot Pepper said:
The stuff I had wasn't cured like prosciutto. So I re-googled. Then I called my place lol.

It's called French Ham (but both are) but the one they have is cooked. It's called Jambon de Paris on the web. THAT is the silky soft juicy ham I had. However in most pics there is no fat layer. This did have a fat layer around it. So I found one. It's this:

Jambon de Paris

attachicon.gif
jambon_de_paris.jpg

HEAVEN!

Daddy likes

Back