• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Torno 2011 Grow

I have a buddy that works at a high end restaurant in downtown Dallas, thought about hitting him up about getting large plastic containers that are gonna get thrown out. Free = good!

-J

oriental restaurants=5 gallon soy sauce buckets. Diners=pickle buckets and others.

Knocking on back doors tends to get more since the employee will usually just give you some once you tell them what you want them for. Front room hosts and bosses usually will give you 1. Take one with you for a visual aide if going to oriental or anywhere there might be a language barrier. Ask and point so they know what you are talking about.

Badge flashing may not help
j/k couldn't resist. :D

oriental restaurants=5 gallon soy sauce buckets. Diners=pickle buckets and others.

Knocking on back doors tends to get more since the employee will usually just give you some once you tell them what you want them for. Front room hosts and bosses usually will give you 1. Take one with you for a visual aide if going to oriental or anywhere there might be a language barrier. Ask and point so they know what you are talking about.

Badge flashing may not help
j/k couldn't resist. :D
we do have a couple deli places around town that serve pickle spears with everything, maybe I should check there!

I posted on Craigslist and someone from a local restaurant emailed me back and said I could have all I want. He said they throw away 4-5 pickle buckets per week and felt guilty about it because they knew someone could use them.

Very nice! I haven't thought about posting on Craigslist about looking for buckets, might just do that in the next few minutes haha. Thanks for the heads up!

-J

I have a buddy that works at a high end restaurant in downtown Dallas, thought about hitting him up about getting large plastic containers that are gonna get thrown out. Free = good!

-J
That it does :D I might have to check out my local restaurants 8-)

Quick update on everything... The heat is still a monster here in North Texas and with 32 days straight of 100+ temps it has really put a damper on growing. All of the outside plants are still growing but slowly and otherwise very healthy. If they can make it through August then it's game on for flowers! I've also been playing around with introducing H2O2 into every watering with my late starts and I have really noticed a pretty noticeable difference. Here are a few pictures to show the difference.

12 July 2011, these were the plants 5 days after getting potted up after becoming very leggy when I was on vacation
latestarts_12July2011.jpg

19 July 2011, the Aji Crystal had a burst in height but otherwise everything was the exact same... First introduction of H2O2 into the water.
latestarts_19July2011-1.jpg

28 July 2011, Plants after two doses of H2O2. The plants have really started to put on quick new growth and very thick as well. Also have caught up in height with the Aji Crystal. You can look down into the new leaves coming in and see 2-3 sets of new leaves already pushing up. The only difference in this picture compared to the rest is the additional plant to consolidate on space for other experiments under the lights. I even added H2O2 tot he water of two plants outside and have seen the same type of quick burst in growth in those as well. Another thing I am noticing is the quick consumption of water with the H2O2 added. I'm not sure if this is due to the plant sucking up everything for the growing burst or if it's just simply allowing the roots to feed normally because of the added oxygen in the soil...
latestarts_28July2011.jpg

I am going to be running an experiment with a few Peach Bhut seedlings to get hard proof on the benefits, if any... maybe I'm just seeing things that are just normal lol. Going to have the following:

1 Control
1 Aerated RO water with frets
1 RO water w/ frets and H2O2
1 Tap w/ frets

-J

Hi Torno,

Interesting, I have some questions if you don't mind.

Do you use 35% H202 (food grade0.

How much (ml) H202 to 1 liter of water.

T.Y. Wouter

I bought 4L of 29% H2O2 at my local hydro store for 20$. Recommended dose is 3ml for every 4 liters of water, every four to five days per the directions on the back of the container.

-J

I bought 4L of 29% H2O2 at my local hydro store for 20$. Recommended dose is 3ml for every 4 liters of water, every four to five days per the directions on the back of the container.

-J

I can't find 29% here but I can find 30% that should not matter I think. I'm doing some tests as well at the moment so I'm gonna try this to.

Thanks for sharing.

Wouter

-J

Can you tell me the brand or supplier name so I can do a more detailed search?

Nice thread. I like the big fat green leaves you are getting. :)

If it was me the cat would have been traded to one of the chinese restaurants for some empty buckets... everyone wins. :D

http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/gardening-with-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Here I found this useful and it has the amount for the cheaper 3% if you are just experimenting or have a smaller garden

That's the website I first found when digging around for info for H2O2. Here are pictures I just took of the exact H2O2 that I am using and it was available at my local Hydro store for pretty cheap. The stuff I was looking at online was insanely expensive and I got 4 liters of 29% for just over 20$. Just don't get this stuff on your skin, a hell of a burn.

h2o2front.jpg

h2o2back.jpg

The issue with going to CVS or anywhere else for the 3% h2o2 is the fact it has other chemical additives to stabilize the mixture. I haven't found any hard evidence online that says these chemicals are harmful but to me I'd rather not have them in my plants. The people that I know who do use h2o2 on a regular basis use 29%-35% food grade h2o2 and just dilute it down.

-J

Back