vendor Trade Winds Fruit

http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Hot-Peppers/start/1/total/129/Categories

$7.00 for FOUR seeds of White Bhut Jolokia? Is someone puffing something they shouldn't? LMAO. That's $1.75 PER SEED. Crazy price.

Chris

I never had to go that high before, but would consider it a bargain for the right specie type. Seeds are the least inexpensive part of my operation when factoring in all the other elements. For me it’s more about acquiring the new types I want to grow first and costs second. You have to pay if you want to play!!

Why is it a scam if they are legitamatley selling the true seed and not some randome seed found on the floor. While I think the prices are high, if you like and trust these people, they supply quality seed, and you can afford it, then it is a bargin.

Except for the actuall price- this is no different than one of the users on this forum who was selling his scorp seeds, 20 for $10.

It's just like shopping at the mega stores, if you don't like Kmarts prices on something check Target and Walmart, chances are you'll find it at a pricepoint that you are willing to pay.

as with anything, Caveat Emptor.

Why is it a scam if they are legitamatley selling the true seed and not some randome seed found on the floor. While I think the prices are high, if you like and trust these people, they supply quality seed, and you can afford it, then it is a bargin.

Except for the actuall price- this is no different than one of the users on this forum who was selling his scorp seeds, 20 for $10.

It's just like shopping at the mega stores, if you don't like Kmarts prices on something check Target and Walmart, chances are you'll find it at a pricepoint that you are willing to pay.

as with anything, Caveat Emptor.

It could be a scam, or is at least not scrupulous. They say in the description on the Tradewinds site that they don't know for sure if they'll grow true 100%. In other words, they think they could be White Bhuts, but are not sure and haven't tested the seeds themselves fully, and expect people to still pay $7 for 4 seeds. That could be construed as a scam, if you ask me. Or at least dishonest.

For those who do not know what is the history of the white Bhut, how long have they been around publicly? I ask this for those who may come along and read this thread as well for my own knowledge. Most out their growing/gardening may not be on a form or group as generous as this one is with sharing the different peppers. Tradewinds is not being dishonest because they are open about not knowing if they are stable yet or they do not know if they were open pollinated even. Many other plants when they are first released to the public are even more expensive then this. Or how about the prices some even on here ask for started pepper plants? We hear some say openly that the prices are a bit much but I do not see claims that they are dishonest or a scam or not scrupulous. If out of the 4 seeds 75% germinate and 2 of the seedlings survive to produce peppers and only 1 is even near a white color then a person has spent 7$ for a white Bhut. If neither are white but a red or yellow then a person has spent 3.50$ a piece for a Bhut Jolokia plant. So while the price may be high for the possibility of a white Bhut compared to the generosity of many on here it is a better bet and sometimes price then other avenues found on-line or at local garden outlets.

I personally have seen white Bhuts listed in members grow lists on here but have not seen to much in the way of pics of the pods produced. May some of them come forward and do so now so we have a base to compare what one should do or look like.

Thanks onef1...
For me too, I'd rather pay "extra" for what i paid for with a germination rate of 95%. Although I have never planted 100 seeds of any one thing to find 5 didn't make it...
Anyway, How many threads are here saying "I.D. help", or, "what are these peppers", or "help me identify, please", which is why the THP is awesome....
but where did you get these seeds? why didn't the seeds come labeled, and if so, why were they wrong, or didn't you label the seeds you planted?
I also haven't seen any White Bhut seeds on the "cutting board give-away" threads, so they are either rare, or coveted, either way, hard to come by.
AJ said "he should grow some so he could sell 10 for a buck" after he "finds some somewhere". Case in point... Rare?
Not to mention it will take at least 3 years of reproduction to guarantee viable seeds to sell.
After all we're only talking $7.00. I burn that in toilet paper weekly....

You get what you pay for, is all I'm sayin'....
But what do I know, I have a '67 Coupe DeVille.....

Just my 2¢

peas out...

There's only one way to fight against non-sense pricing and keep the business clean: dont buy.
If you think how many seeds you can produce from a single plant these prices are a joke.

Cya

Datil

Ive ordered from Tradewinds many times and I found their seeds to be true to form as well as having a high germ rate. Some of their prices are good and unbeatable for the seeds, and in large amounts too, compared with some other companies who sell 10 seeds for $8. But yeah, they get those superhots in and sell real high for like 5 seeds. Other companies sell the same seeds 20 for $7. I think these rare superhots should wait till they have a good stock to sell. But you do get these people that will swallow a piece of coal and squeeze a diamond when they see stuff like this in order to be "the first" or "look what I got" types. Kinda like when those new Camaro cars came out, and eveyone wanted to be the first, 2 months later every mainstream hump had the car and they were old news.

I too feel I should speak up for Tradewinds in this thread. I've ordered from them multiple times for tomato and pepper seed, and they have always germinated well and grown true.

I agree with Datil that if you don't like the price, simply don't pay it. They are clearly being honest about what you're getting. From there, it's what the market will bear. They may be off in their marketing of the product, but IMO they aren't "wrong". Wrong would be the classic eBay bait and switch. This is not that.

I've bought from trade winds 3 times and each time i've had about 95% germination rate and seeds came true.
And if i can remember correctly the $7 for 4 white bhut seeds was because they had very little seeds and would not have growing plants till summer 2012

based on the good reviews of tradewinds, i am going to place an order with them for several tomato varieties and their yellow scotch bonnets. there are some other vegetables i am going to order but again, i believe the good reviews have it for tradewinds.

onefowl1, I watched every grow log this last year.. nobody grew any white bhuts here on THP.. I think there's only 2 sources that these are coming from, smokinasschili and Superhot found another source that is unknown to me.. There isn't very much info or pictures of this variety.. This coming year they both will be grown out and we will all see. I agree with Junglerain, I too have white bhuts growing right now, but the placenta on the seeds was infact.. Red. So as for them ripening to white? I don't think that's going to be happening.. My bet is they will be a very very light green/white color before ripening to red. Which is cool I guess.. Not much of a "white" bhut if that ends up being the case though.

based on the good reviews of tradewinds, i am going to place an order with them for several tomato varieties and their yellow scotch bonnets. there are some other vegetables i am going to order but again, i believe the good reviews have it for tradewinds.
Did you grow their Yellow Scotch Bonnet previously?

Did you grow their Yellow Scotch Bonnet previously?

No Harry, i have never purchased from Trades Wind but like i mentioned, based on the reviews i am willing to take a chance on them. it was just a bonus that they also sell pepper seeds including: yellow scotch bonnet, yellow manzano, white habs and harold's st. barts and at $2.00 a package it seems quite harmless.

again, my first look at them was for tomato seeds and after reviewing several other websites, Trade winds seemed to have the types of 'maters i was looking for.

No Harry, i have never purchased from Trades Wind but like i mentioned, based on the reviews i am willing to take a chance on them. it was just a bonus that they also sell pepper seeds including: yellow scotch bonnet, yellow manzano, white habs and harold's st. barts and at $2.00 a package it seems quite harmless.

again, my first look at them was for tomato seeds and after reviewing several other websites, Trade winds seemed to have the types of 'maters i was looking for.
I recommend obtaining Scotch Bonnet seeds from a number of suppliers to hedge your bets. The photo they used for their orange Scotch Bonnet leaves some uncertainty hanging over their other Scotch Bonnet seeds.

I haven't been able to find any references in the forums to people growing out their Yellow Scotch Bonnet seeds. Maybe you can grow them out along with seeds from another supplier for comparison.

Wanted to add on here again...

Ordered about six varieties from these guys this year, and the Yellow Bhuts and the Goat's Weed germinated in four days @ 100%. Very impressive.

I've ordered from them 2 or 3 times, and got exactly what I ordered, and had no problems with germination. Their prices on the super hots may be high, as a result of limited supply, but it you look at their prices on the other pepper varieties, as well as other veggies, they are right in line with all of the other seed companies out there. I'm planning on ordering from them again next week. So far, I've got 28 packs in my cart, and the total comes to $64.75 with FREE shipping. That comes to around $2.31 per pack. That's hard to beat if you ask me.

Back