• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Trinidad Scorpion

Pam said:
http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Gardening/fGardening.htm

It'll tell you if anyone is selling Pro-Mix near you.

That is what you were asking about, wasn't it?

Yes Ma'am that is exactly what I was wondering...thanks Ms. Pam

POTAWIE said:
There's many different kinds. You probably won't find pro-mix unless you're near Canada but try sunshine mix or triple mix or any compressed bail that's called a mix. The cheaper brands just have more filler/sticks

I will check with the nursery I go to and see if they have dry compressed.....

promix works great, it is not too dense so the roots spread fast and the plant develops a good base
my only problem with it however is that in pots if there is any wind the swaying eventually causes side to side compaction and the entire root/base gets loose in the pot

I always used to buy cheaper potting mix in the past. I always pulled out the plants and they had a small clump of roots that hadnt spread.

THis year i bought the best potting mix i could find..... cost me twice as much as the other regular bags and the plants love it. The roots are copletly spread in the pot and they have grown faster and fruited more than i have ever had a chilli crop do before.

Cant wait till next season to get some interesting plants going.

cheers

i use the cheap stuff when they get to the big pots and i just add some other stuff to make it better, but the babies always get the good stuff (which this year happens to also be cheap! i love my co-op)

yeah rainbowberry....... i think they just spray woodchip clack and make it wet. Its not real flash stuff.

I always had better results with plants in the ground than in pots, but this year its the opposite. The plants in the premium potting mix are producing better than the plants in the ground.

go figure.

cheers

tony05 said:
I always had better results with plants in the ground than in pots, but this year its the opposite. The plants in the premium potting mix are producing better than the plants in the ground.

go figure.

cheers

Are you in the part of Australia that's getting all the rain? In my experience, peppers don't do well in soggy soil. We had a monsoon summer here a few years back, and all the plants on the low end of the garden did poorly.

Not that good quality potting soil might not be boosting your plants, it was just a thought about soggy soil.

yeah Pam..... ive had a lot of rain latly and when i dig down, its a bit boggy at the base of the roots. I was talking to my brother a week or so ago and siad i was fine with leaving the plants in pots out in the rain because any excess water just reains out the bottom. Usually i have to sater them a day or 2 after it rains a lot but the ones in the ground havnt been watered by anything but the sky for a month.

And as for nutrients, the ones in the pots get fertaliser in the watering can but the ones in the ground get nothing because its too wet to water them so that rings true as well.

cheers

Back