• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Trinidad Scorpion

The "stuff" is Perlite

What is Perlite?

Perlite is not a trade name but a generic term for naturally occurring siliceous volcanic rock. The distinguishing feature which sets perlite apart from other volcanic glasses is that when heated to a suitable point in its softening range, it expands from four to twenty times its original volume.

This expansion process is due to the presence of two to six percent combined water in the crude perlite rock. When quickly heated to above 1600 F (870 C) the crude rock pops in a manner similar to popcorn as the combined water vaporizes and creates countless tiny bubbles in the softened glassy particles. It is these tiny glass-sealed bubbles which account for the amazing lightweight and other exceptional physical properties of expanded perlite.

The expansion process also creates one of perlite's most distinguishing characteristics: its white color. While the crude perlite rock may range from transparent to light gray to glossy black, the color of expanded perlite ranges from snowy white to grayish white.

Expanded perlite can be manufactured to weigh from 2 lbs/ft3 (32 kg/m3) to 15 lb/ft3 (240 kg/m3) making it adaptable for numerous uses, including filtration, horticultural applications, insulation, inert carriers and a multitude of filler applications.

In horticulture it makes composts more open to air, while still having good water-retention properties; it makes a good medium for hydroponics

looks more like vermiculite and perlite
you can get it at bunnings
try top grade potting mix
a bit of perlite and a bit of vermiculite
and maybe even some and peat mixit together good for potted plants hold moisture etc.

helps with water retention and keeping the soil "loose" to promote good root development...

I use a mix of perlite in my potting mix plants, it provides good aeration in the root zone, which our chilli plants really like!

The pic of monnezza76 looks like vermiculite to me which holds water, hydro growers will usually mix some of it into their perlite growing medium to aid a little moisture retention.

tony05 said:
just a quick question...... whats the white sprinkles everyone has on their potting mix in the pots?
I once asked that question too on a different forum. I've never used it though, no reason why not, just never got round to buying any.

rainbowberry said:
Surely I'd be able to get the same kind of stuff in England, I haven't seen it so far but then I haven't been looking for it.

The stuff I am using is just generic seed starting medium from my local nursery.

GrumpyBear said:
i find its really messy because of the dust so if its not just an augmentation to the soil i really hate using it...

This mix I am using is very very moist and there is absolutely no dust associated with it. Heck each bag weighs about 4 stones..(for you RB)...about 64 lbs...

If you buy the wet stuff you're paying for water though. I buy dry compressed bales of pro-mix(or similar) with perlite and vermiculite already included and just wet it before use. There are many many different brands of similar mix but pro-mix is well screened with very little amount of sticks and chunks and its made in Canada and available here locally.

hmmmmmmmmm...wonder if I can get the compressed bales...

In Michigan, we have a nursery called Bordines. They have a custom planting mix that is just top notch. Better than anything I've seen. Usually it costs $19.99 for 3 cu ft uncompressed. In February, they reduce the price by 50%. Great deal!! It's got perfect water retention, very well milled vermiculite and perlite, etc. I sow in very small plug trays so that's very important to me. Standard Pro-Mix Bx is great for containers, but not for 200+ ct plug trays. I've gone as high as a 384 ct cell tray to minimize wasted media.

Chris

POTAWIE said:
If you buy the wet stuff you're paying for water though. I buy dry compressed bales of pro-mix(or similar) with perlite and vermiculite already included and just wet it before use. There are many many different brands of similar mix but pro-mix is well screened with very little amount of sticks and chunks and its made in Canada and available here locally.

i'd never even heard of anyone selling either wet...

GrumpyBear said:
i'd never even heard of anyone selling either wet...

I am sure they store it under shade cloth or something and not inside but the plastic bags are pretty tight...don't know how it got moist but it is...

There's many different kinds. You probably won't find pro-mix unless you're near Canada but try sunshine mix or triple mix or any compressed bail that's called a mix. The cheaper brands just have more filler/sticks

Back