• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippa's 2013-2014 ...its weird and wonderful ... for now..

Sorry to hear the plant and auto woes you're having, both are no fun.

Don't know if this will help, you mentioned boosting the natural immune system of the plants.

I came across something interesting while searching for a solution to a potential issue I may soon run up against.

The post was from San Antonio Tx., real close to me, the topic was mites. The guy was saying "mites? we don't have no stinking mites, I spray every two weeks with a seaweed extract mixed at 2oz per gal."

Might be a worthwhile experiment.

Have a good one!

Trippa said:
Yeah probably maxed out in terms of real estate on my balcony .. I could squeeze a couple of companions in .. The trouble I find is because I am on the second story I think good insect numbers are also naturally lower then on the ground ... Not sure could all be in my head ;)

To be honest it looks like I might need to restart again this season even most of my overwinters are looking incredibly sick all of a sudden and my new plants a good portion of them have shed all leaves and are now bare stems ... Mites are the worst I have ever seen them .... Gave a spray of soap and neem last night as a last ditch attempt at recovery but I might have to come to the heartbreaking decision of throwing them all out :(

Thanks for stopping in Rick!!
I would have used pyrethrin or sulphur but its too hot for sulphur and don't have any pyrethrin on hand ...

I hope you are right Paul but my current plants don't look like they will be part of that recovery equation
Its a shame as I had some great genetics growing as well ... Hopefully I have enough seed to get another round out of each

Now, that's a big ouch! Sorry to hear it guy... :tear:  Let me know if I have anything you need, OK?

Mites (not spider mites) in general go after the new growth in my experience. The crown will exhibit a "rust", also they will make leaves get this funny curl, they require a 30x magnifying glass to see. They're so small but can do major damage. I had one plant literally topped, and the main trunk never grew any more. Would post a pic but don't want  to hijack :D

Read up on spider mites today, and supposedly they have a web associated with their damage. Best thing would be to Google them and be ready, just in case..

These are broad mites I am referring to .. Tiny but when in large numbers visible by there movement to the naked eye... Look like a spec of flour..... Spider and two spotted mites are a walk in the park comparatively speaking
Once you see the physical damage the plant Damage internally has already been done

Trippa said:
These are broad mites I am referring to .. Tiny but when in large numbers visible by there movement to the naked eye... Look like a spec of flour..... Spider and two spotted mites are a walk in the park comparatively speaking
Once you see the physical damage the plant Damage internally has already been done
Definitely unlike that! I'll have to check and see if we have them here. I'm finding that once I get the plants outside they're fine, but doing the OW thing leaves me wide open to infestation... even if the plants are indoors.

Broadmites suck.....literally.
The mite itself is difficult to spot by eye, but the early plant damage can be seen from a garden away . I've seen the damage spread rapidly from plant to plant. Although infected plants early on may survive through the end of the season, its a chancey outcome. I've had them in the past(seems like a different bug each yr) and have destroyed the plants. Thats easy to do if you have a few hundred growing but the damage that a few infected plants can do to a few hundred can be detrimentral (crop failure). Kill those little buggars...Tripp

I had broad mites hit me twice last year, about 45 days apart.Shane nailed the diagnosis. Wettable sulfur (Bonide sulfur) sprayed every three days knocked 'em back. Homemade Rosemary oil worked too on the potted plants I could move out of the sun. I guess the key was early detection.

Devv said:
I had broad mites hit me twice last year, about 45 days apart.Shane nailed the diagnosis. Wettable sulfur (Bonide sulfur) sprayed every three days knocked 'em back. Homemade Rosemary oil worked too on the potted plants I could move out of the sun. I guess the key was early detection.
I would love to use wettable sulphur or lime sulphur as I know they work great..... The trouble is its too hot here at the moment for that ... Its a catch 22 ...

Hey, Tristen!  Holidays a time to relax and enjoy your family - 

Best of the week to all of you!   

Go bash the mites later!

stickman said:
Definitely unlike that! I'll have to check and see if we have them here. I'm finding that once I get the plants outside they're fine, but doing the OW thing leaves me wide open to infestation... even if the plants are indoors.
I had bought some Neem oil months ago, to be ready for my overwinter, & forgot that I had it. :oops:  Was using BBQ grill lighter to go after gnats every day :P  until i realized that i had Neem oil. Started using that ystrdy. I have a small crop of OW'ers - 7-8 plants.

As others have said, early happy new year :beer: Tristan.

Hey, Tristen, just wanted to stop and say Happy New
Year down under before things get crazy in up over!

See you in 2014, my friend.  Hope the new year brings you
success going through the rest of the summer.

Thanks for the holiday cheer and good wishes everyone!!

We have been in a holiday house for the past 4 weeks ....will be back home this weekend... Hence the lack of details uhon my blog .... All I can report from my few visits to water the plants at home is they are all still alive and a few I potted up have taken off nicely ... Sneaking suspicion the Ill health of many of mY plants is down to poor root space!!

Hope your new year is off to a good start, Trippa.  What's the latest on the mite infestation?  Making progress or thrown in the towel?

Devv said:
Don't know if this will help, you mentioned boosting the natural immune system of the plants.

I came across something interesting while searching for a solution to a potential issue I may soon run up against.

The post was from San Antonio Tx., real close to me, the topic was mites. The guy was saying "mites? we don't have no stinking mites, I spray every two weeks with a seaweed extract mixed at 2oz per gal."
I read something the other day about using insect frasse in a spray treatment to stimulate a plant's immune system.  (And apparently didn't bookmark the page. :doh:)   The idea was that the chitin in it stimulated the production of chitinase by the plant, which in turn helps ward off insect attacks.  I wonder if it's the chitin from all the little arthropods living in the seaweed that are responsible for it's efficacy?  It would probably be too little, too late for a full blown infestation, but I may make a habit of the seaweed spray going forward.  (Seems easier than following bugs around with a mini-pooper scooper.)

Thanks sawyer .... Still trucking at the moment ... Will pot up a few and see how they go in the next month or so .... The neem seemed to give them some added health so will hit them again this weekend with a neem seaweed Epsom salt combo for a new year treat
Devv said:
looking forward to some updates, and hope you had a blast!
Cheers devv ... Yeah I had a blast ... But now i think my liver hates me ;) :D .. Not to mention a severely diminished brain cell count... More neuron connections in new places though no doubt

Back