• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Trippaul Threat (PdN x BMJ) Community Grow

This is a dedicated grow log for Tristen's awesome cross, which I
have been growing out since 2014.  I'll start with a bit of history and
some photos documenting what's happened so far.

In January of 2014, Tristen (Trippa) sent me a little care package of seeds.
In the package were two generations of a cross he had made, which he just 
called 'Mystery Cross, F1' and 'Mystery Cross, F2'.  

Here's Trippa's Mystery Cross seedlings in February of 2014:
_DSC1203a_zpscfa08c86.jpg

_DSC1215a_zps824b6b30.jpg

Both generations showing the purple foliage characteristic since the beginning.

Up close look at Trippa's Mystery Crosses, F1 and F2.  Both culled to a single
plant after the photo taken, so I only had one plant of each generation:
_DSC1256a_zps34e3c6e6.jpg

Those are nice, healthy looking seedlings, Scott.
:party:   Doing Tristen's cross justice!

The white pod seedlings look especially robust   :dance:

PaulG said:
Those are nice, healthy looking seedlings, Scott.
:party:   Doing Tristen's cross justice!

The white pod seedlings look especially robust   :dance:

Tomorrow they get their first drink since up-potting and a small dose of Alaska. I'm also going to lower them one pizza box...LOL

PaulG said:
Seeds on the way today or tomorrow, Shane.
You can just keep 'em in lockdown until such
time as you can grow!

Are you still at the Kendra Way address?
Arrived safe and sound! Already added to my next grow list! Thanks brudda! I have a few interesting crosses going, I'll try to save you a few seeds.

stc3248 said:
Arrived safe and sound! Already added to my next grow list! Thanks brudda! I have a few interesting crosses going, I'll try to save you a few seeds. You are the man, Shane!
Glad they made it, my friend!  Have you done a
grow log or other threads lately? Kinda lost track
of you for awhile, buddy!  Not surprised to hear you
have some crosses going...

Good to see you hanging around the grow log - don't
be a stranger!

Devv said:

Tomorrow they get their first drink since up-potting and a small dose of Alaska. I'm also going to lower them one pizza box...LOL
Ahhh, the pizza box height adjustment trick.

You're pulling out all the stops, buddy!  What
planting mix are you using?

PaulG said:
Glad they made it, my friend!  Have you done a
grow log or other threads lately? Kinda lost track
of you for awhile, buddy!  Not surprised to hear you
have some crosses going...

Good to see you hanging around the grow log - don't
be a stranger!
No...no grow threads for me lately. This duty station has been super rewarding, but very taxing. I have dabbled with a few crosses and some aquaponic stuff, but very small grows. Looking forward to some shore duty down in Charleston, where hopefully I can have a few acres and a nice garden! Thanks for the kind words and seeds my friend...I'll be lurking.

PaulG said:
Ahhh, the pizza box height adjustment trick.

You're pulling out all the stops, buddy!  What
planting mix are you using?

Got the pizza box thang from Shane ;)

Started them in a homemade seed starter mix on top of regular old MG in 3.5" pots. When I transplanted to the #1 pots, I used Promix Organic. We saw they had marked down the 2cu' bales to $5 at Wally World a few weeks ago; so I bought all the wife's car would haul (5 bales). I wish I had had my truck that morning! Funny how they moved the remainder to a new spot and the $17.97 sign was back on them..LOL

Then as we drove through the next town over we stopped to see what that WW location may have on clearance, and scored 4 gallons of Alaska fish fert for $4.50 a gallon. It never hurts to shop around for supplies in the off season.

So I have a question for you, as you reuse the potting mixes. I have a nice pile of used potting soil in the garden all piled up, been screening it into a second pile. What do you do to perk it back up?

Devv said:

Got the pizza box thang from Shane ;)

Started them in a homemade seed starter mix on top of regular old MG in 3.5" pots. When I transplanted to the #1 pots, I used Promix Organic. We saw they had marked down the 2cu' bales to $5!!!!!!!!!!!! at Wally World a few weeks ago; so I bought all the wife's car would haul (5 bales). I wish I had had my truck that morning! Funny how they moved the remainder to a new spot and the $17.97 sign was back on them..LOL

Then as we drove through the next town over we stopped to see what that WW location may have on clearance, and scored 4 gallons of Alaska fish fert for $4.50 a gallon. It never hurts to shop around for supplies in the off season. Nice score, Scott!  Wish I could get my FF soils for $5 per 2 cubic feet!

So I have a question for you, as you reuse the potting mixes. I have a nice pile of used potting soil in the garden all piled up, been screening it into a second pile. What do you do to perk it back up?

I usually mix my recycled soil with my compost/worm castings
and some peat moss. Ideally each 1/3 of the mix,
but that varies depending on what I have on hand... I use it to
amend the container soil. I remove a little each year and throw
it in my recycled bin when I add the new soil mix.

I like using big containers (18-20 gallon) because they are deep
enough they can be thought of as in-ground soil, and can be
treated in a similar manner, I think. I'd like to try Gary's RCW
method on the largest containers.

Some bone meal a few weeks before plant out, and a side dressing 
of compost and chicken manure or steer manure does it.  It's about
time to get a load of zoo doo, but I won't be able to do so this
Spring.  Next Spring for sure.  This season, the pots will lie fallow.
They need a rest after this many seasons. Either I'll plant a bunch
of peas in them, or mulch with something light.  

Walchit said:
Put some seeds in paper towels today
Alright, Andy - hoist the mainsail   :party:

Genetikx said:
The whites are showing up in droves now. Love them purple roots!
Wow, that's something I've never seen.  Of course, I
germinate in dirt or plugs so I never see the radicle!
Looks like a pretty good germ rate, Ryan. I see a solid
8/11 in the pic.  About 72%, twice my germ rate.

snagglepuss said:
my seedling cant really tell from the pic but the leaves are a nice dark colour.

4a9de02707fbe5c32897c6e200e4fbd0.jpg

Way to much water....you should be no wetter than it takes 3-4 days to dry out.

If you think it needs a little drink, get a spray bottle and mist them.

Those size pots would be best to let them pull water from the bottom vs top watering.

Watch them close...don't want rot or mold to set in.

Masher said:

Those size pots would be best to let them pull water from the bottom vs top watering.

i had only just sprayed them when i took the pic.

Looking good people! I planted some seeds too, but all my growing gear is still in Portugal.. It was supposed to come in a big shipment of my stuff in December but my in-laws didn't see the (most important...) package because it was behind a door. It had my thermostat, two heat mats and two humidity domes in it. Now I don't have a reliable heat source with the right temperatures so I'm falling behind on my schedule already. This sucks so much. I wish I had some beauty's like you guys already. Hope to join the fun soon enough though! My in-laws said they would mail me the stuff tomorrow so hopefully it's here sometime next week. 

Sorry to hear about the logistics snafu, Bernd.
Hopefully you will have your gear in short order.

But, hey, you have a seedling!   :woohoo:

Masher said:

Being I've had 3 or 4 damp off over the last few years, yes, that's too many for me ;) I soak the 3.5" pots filled with my mix until the soil is soaked all the way to the top a few days before setting the seeds in the mix. By the time they pop the soil mix is still damp, not soaked. So I don't water or mist them ever until the pots get close to light. Then I bottom water only, watching to make sure the top of the mix doesn't get wet. I put the pots in a tray with about 1/2" of water when I bottom water. When I up-pot them to the next sized pot, a #1 pot. I do the same thing, soak until the soil is really wet. Mind you the level in the pot is the same distance from the top as the 3.5" pot is deep. I wet it  from the top some more before I put the plant in and add potting soil to situate the transplant. It could be 10 days before this transplant needs water. Those get 1.5 to 2"s in a tray to water. Let the weight of the pot be your guide.

Back