• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

tsurrie's 2020 glog

So I decided to soak seeds this time, finally, and I hope it will increase the germination rate, since last year rate was not so good anymore.
Hope it helps just a bit....

soaking22012020.jpg

Here are:
  - Kapija's
  - Kapija x Palermo
  - Aji Umba
  - Chupetinho
  - Habanero Chocolate
  - Habanero Golden
  - Caribbean Red Habaneros
  - Moruga Trinidad Scorpion
  - Rocoto

Maybel I'll add some later but this is the list for now.

Good to see your plants are doing well Uros!

This global lock down issue is scary for sure, we're hunkered down in the boonies, decently stocked and hanging in there. Asked LB how well we were stocked (before things got crazy), "we good for 4 months". I always teased her about "Lorimart", now I'm impressed!

Be safe!

PaulG said:

Better safe than sorry, my friend. Being out in
your own garden is probably okay since you
are not exposed to anyone else. Our stay-at-home
order is now extended to April 30. I wish our
weather was better, but nice weather is at least
6 to 8 weeks away. 
True. Will try to stay safe. The weather will come and hopefully normal life too. I just hope we can all wait it out decently and stay healthy.
The time flies by for us.. it's hard to combine school at home, work and all the worries. It's a weird time, but we'll get through.
Stay safe and good luck with everything.

Devv said:
Good to see your plants are doing well Uros!

This global lock down issue is scary for sure, we're hunkered down in the boonies, decently stocked and hanging in there. Asked LB how well we were stocked (before things got crazy), "we good for 4 months". I always teased her about "Lorimart", now I'm impressed!

Be safe!
Good to hear you're safe and stocked Scott. They always know what's right Scott, but there's nothing wrong with a little teasing.
It's good to be stocked these days.

You too, stay safe!

I prepped the old garden today, so we can plant some veggies soon. The dirt is sooo dry, now we really need some rain soon.
garden08042020.jpg

In the meantime, with home schooling and working on and off....we're trying to spend as much time as we can outside in nature.
We've been picking some wild garlic. The hills around us are full of this marvelous plant. We use it for soups, pestos, pasta sauces, ... it's delicious.

cemaz08042020.jpg

Also letting the kids to put off some steam... they really enjoyed some of the last snow...

kids08042020.jpg

and I've been mastering the sourdough, step by step with ups and downs :)
still a long way to go I guess. My starter is fine, I really get the activity, but the result is not always so good.

This one I left to rise too long and it got a little sour. But we'll eat it for sure, still good.

bread08042020.jpg

the starter is always active enough
starter08042020.jpg

Good to see you getting out, Uros.

Garden plot looks like it's yearning for
pepper plants! Looks like you have a
pretty large yard space.

We've been pretty dry here, as well.
Time to hook up the water hoses!

PaulG said:
Good to see you getting out, Uros.

Garden plot looks like it's yearning for
pepper plants! Looks like you have a
pretty large yard space.

We've been pretty dry here, as well.
Time to hook up the water hoses!

I think the yard you're talking about is not ours, the picture where the kids are playing is from the forrest :)
We have a house and a garden, and a yard for kids to play but not nearly as big as that one.
Lucky for us, we're a few minutes away from the forrest. Small town advantage.

The garden finally got some rain, so we're ready to plant out. Did some today but I'll take pictures together with pots when I transplant some of the peppers too. The seedlings from your peppers are growing fine, Paul. They are still small, but they'll be soon ready. I'll give them a few more days. I put a couple of jalapenos from the nursery into pots though.
This picture is from before the rain. The next one will have some green in it :)
7699.jpg

This is one of the unknowns, the package said Bhut Jolokia, but I bet it isn't true.. or is it. We'll see.
7704.jpg

Aji Umba
7694.jpg

BJ Chocolate from Paul
7695.jpg

Tomatoes are big enough to transplant, but these peppers will wait a few more days
7702.jpg

7703.jpg

and some cucumbers
7698.jpg

Went for a hike with my wife this morning. Rising from the fog up on a sunny hill is always the best way to start a day.
7700.jpg

7705.jpg

Also been trying to make better sourdough bread than last time. This one from today is pretty darn close.
7696.jpg

Darker (black) wheat flour and a bit whole grain.... I'm nearly satisfied :drooling:
7697.jpg

Changed the host for pictures, I hope it will work fine. For some reason I cannot add pics to the previous one.

Stay safe everyone. Grow peppers!

So, problem with the host. I was trying to find some simple hosting site, but nothing as casual as the one I have came up. Well, it seems to work again so no problem.
Trying to also use Google Drive... maybe it will work fine.

Repeating.... (because I can't edit the previous post)

The garden finally got some rain, so we're ready to plant out. Did some today but I'll take pictures together with pots when I transplant some of the peppers too. The seedlings from your peppers are growing fine, Paul. They are still small, but they'll be soon ready. I'll give them a few more days. I put a couple of jalapenos from the nursery into pots though.
This picture is from before the rain. The next one will have some green in it :)
garden02052020.jpg

This is one of the unknowns, the package said Bhut Jolokia, but I bet it isn't true.. or is it. We'll see.
unknown03052020.jpg

Tomatoes are big enough to transplant, but these peppers will wait a few more days
tomato03052020.jpg

tomatoes03052020.jpg

and some cucumbers (they grow by the minute)
cucumbers03052020.jpg

Went for a hike with my wife this morning. Rising from the fog up on a sunny hill is always the best way to start a day.
mv0102052020.jpg

mv0202052020.jpg

Also been trying to make better sourdough bread than last time. This one from this weekend is pretty darn close.

Darker (black) wheat flour and a bit whole grain.... I'm nearly satisfied :drooling:
breadcut02052020.jpg

I hope the pics are now available to be seen :confused:

Stay safe everyone. Grow peppers!

stettoman said:
Your hiking pics, I was being envious...
Yeah, it's beautiful.
But I bet if you go for a walk somewhere close to you, you could get to a beautiful place too.
You should see where I mountain biked just earlier. Steep but very calm nature. It was a blast after a hard working week.
The guitar has a similar effect on the soul as a nice scenery. It just takes you away somehow.

LB strolled by and had to comment on the bread, which looks great!

She's been making bread here lately, not so much because of the lock-downs, but because she now has the time.
She was wondering how you get the crust so dark? What temp do you bake at?

And the fog/mountain pics are fantastic! We live on a ridge that's 200' (65 meters?) above town, which is 6-7 miles away, and the views are really nice, but no mountains.
I have to post some pics ;)

Looks like your crew of green is ready for the outside!
Good luck!

Devv said:
LB strolled by and had to comment on the bread, which looks great!

She's been making bread here lately, not so much because of the lock-downs, but because she now has the time.
She was wondering how you get the crust so dark? What temp do you bake at?

And the fog/mountain pics are fantastic! We live on a ridge that's 200' (65 meters?) above town, which is 6-7 miles away, and the views are really nice, but no mountains.
I have to post some pics ;)

Looks like your crew of green is ready for the outside!
Good luck!
Bread making is magic, if it comes out good... and that one really makes me want to bake again. I just did some dough for pizza, it's going to be tomorrow's lunch.

I guess the crust is dark because of the dark wheat flour and the temp was about 240°C (465°F) for a half an hour, then I lovered it to 200°C for another 20 mins.
The crust darkened fast, so I was a bit afraid it will be overdone. But it wasn't.
And also I put about an half of liter of water on the bottom tray during the baking, which evaporated (steaming the bread) in about 20 mins.

Some bakes at even higher temps. I do make pizza at about 260°C, but not bread, because of the longer baking.

Yeah. Some of the green will be planted tomorrow.

We went to the nursery today to pick an eggplant or two... and ended with two more mild chilis, some pumpkins, watermelon for the kids and more... :rofl:

Also bought one Habanero Chocolate, since the seeds I had didn't sprout
habchoco13052020.jpg

these are Jalapenos from previous visit to the nursery (I had them inside for the night because of the cold)
jalapeno13052020.jpg

final five pots were filled this evening
BJ Chocolate (PaulG), Habanero Chocolate (nursery), AS chili yellow (nursery)
and in the front JA Red Habanero (PaulG) and Scotch Bonnet (PaulG)
groupshot13052020.jpg

Scotch Bonnets are still small, but I'm hoping they'll pick up the pace

I have some more pots tucked in by the house to keep them warm for another night, will take a group pic soon.
We'll plant on the garden this weekend.

The nursery plants look good, Uros, nice and healthy.

I'm glad you are having a go at the BJ Chocolate, JA Red 
Habanero and Scotch Bonnet MoA. Last season the MoA
plant was on the small side, and the JA Has is more of a
bushy type in our climate, as well. Neither gets really big.
BJ, on the other hand, stand back! Is this the straight BJ
Chocolate or the Orange BJ Choco  version?

Keep up the good work!

PaulG said:
The nursery plants look good, Uros, nice and healthy.

I'm glad you are having a go at the BJ Chocolate, JA Red 
Habanero and Scotch Bonnet MoA. Last season the MoA
plant was on the small side, and the JA Has is more of a
bushy type in our climate, as well. Neither gets really big.
BJ, on the other hand, stand back! Is this the straight BJ
Chocolate or the Orange BJ Choco  version?

Keep up the good work!
Your baggie says Orange pods, you can see it one page back.
Thanks for stopping by and for the info. Bonnets are tasty so the size of the pod is not important.

tsurrie said:
Your baggie says Orange pods, you can see it one page back.
Thanks for stopping by and for the info. Bonnets are tasty so the size of the pod is not important.
Okay, those are the orange pod chocolate BJ.
The pods had a great color and shape last season.
I hope they stay that way for you. Maybe they will
revert back to chocolate. Who knows?

The MoA Bonnets were on the small side, but had
a great phenotype for the most part.

Thanks for the information on the bread. I sent that to the wife ;)

Those new plants look great, here, very few new starts are worth purchasing.

Way too small, and way to much $$$$

Devv said:
Thanks for the information on the bread. I sent that to the wife ;)

Those new plants look great, here, very few new starts are worth purchasing.

Way too small, and way to much $$$$
No problem, if it was any help at all.
I think the sourdough makes the crust darker too, because I baked with this kind of flour before and it was never that dark. But I always used yeast before.
I think I officially switched to sourdough now ;) I mainly bake bread and pizza.

The chocolate hab was only 1,60€ and they were all that big. I just hope it really is chocolate habanero :)
They also had a bunch of scorpions but this pepper I really love.

Tomatoes are in the garden. I just hope they'll start ok. We also planted cucumbers by the wall on the left, under that netting.
So pretty much the same and already tested arrangement of the veggies.
tomatoes16052020.jpg

Also tried the sourdough bread again, this time two smaller loaves with spelt, black wheat and rye flour.
Will post a pic or two later on.

Back