• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Tybo's 2020 Grow Log

Well after looking through lots of glog's, I decided to try doing one myself.  Hopefully I can keep it updated regularly and improve with photo quality along the way.
That being said------I"M LATE!  Yep, this first post is 10 days late.  Meaning I started some seeds 10 days ago.  I guess my excuse is that we've been trying to get ready for the holidays here.

Anyway, I was lucky enough to get on the 2019 seed train and when B train showed up here, I was able to get some seeds that I probably wouldn't have thought of getting on my own.

It's a little early to start my main grow but I wanted to get something going so I chose to start some wild seeds that I got off the train.  Some of these came from Canedog.  (The Cap. 524 and 1445 and Cumari Pollux I bought)

So on December 13th I started 8 varieties of seed.  8 in rock wool and 8 of the same varieties in seed starting mix.
Here is a pic of them in their General Tso's starting tray.  They are sitting on a heat mat.

IMG_1995.jpg

The first pepper was coming up on the 22nd so 9 days for my first one!  It was the CGN Cardenasii.  

IMG_1999.jpg

The cotyledon's are so tiny!

IMG_1998.jpg

I tried to upload a Page's drawing I made showing square's with the names of the peppers and their location but I can't upload it.  I get a "don't have permission" error when I try so for now I'll just do this manually.

Chacoense        Chacoense       C. Praetermissum       CGN
Puta Pario          CAP 524                                               Cardenasii
                                                                                       (sprout 12/22)                        (Seed Starting Mix)

Cumari              Rocopica           Chacoense                        ?
Pollux                Cardenasii          CAP 1445                    Unknown
                                X
                          UNK Rocoto
These are the seeds in the starting mix.  The rock wool cubes have the same seeds in the same order.
I'll try to get a photo and post later since I can't upload the file.  

(CD, hope I got the names right!)

I'll update as things progress.

Edited to add that the unknown listing is because the writing on the envelope got smeared and I couldn't make out the name.  I'm pretty sure it was a wild variety so I went ahead and planted them.  Hopefully they germinate and can be identified later.

Things are looking great Tybo.  I like the growth pattern on the CAP 1445.  That's more the pattern I see when they go outside early; the natural sun seems to encourage earlier lateral development.  The "Not" or at least "Not 100%" Cardenasii continues to be a cool looking plant and I like the Flex too. And the Gelbe Riesen is getting it done, too.  Just great work all around with those, Tybo!  Good luck with the new plantings.  I'm looking forward to seeing those growing as well.

DownRiver said:
Plants are looking great Tybo. You're rollin now!
Thanks DR.  Rollin along.  It won't be long till warm weather here.

PaulG said:
Some great looking plants there, Ty.

Those tall wilds are really skyrockets!
It will be interesting to see how their growth
habit develops as the season progresses.
i'll definitely have to provide some support for these!  

CaneDog said:
Things are looking great Tybo.  I like the growth pattern on the CAP 1445.  That's more the pattern I see when they go outside early; the natural sun seems to encourage earlier lateral development.  The "Not" or at least "Not 100%" Cardenasii continues to be a cool looking plant and I like the Flex too. And the Gelbe Riesen is getting it done, too.  Just great work all around with those, Tybo!  Good luck with the new plantings.  I'm looking forward to seeing those growing as well.

Thanks again for all of the seeds CD.  It's really interesting seeing the differences in these varieties.  Looking forward to tasting them too.  Especially the rocoto's.  Gotta find some decent recipes for them.

It looks like the tepin cappaccino's and the trinidad moruga scorpions are a lost cause.  I had lots of scorpion seeds and have tried several different times to get them to germinate with no luck.  (rock wool, starting mix and coffee filter methods)  I guess it just wasn't meant to be this year!

A little update.
Got a few haskorea seeds from PtMD989.  I only planted 2 seeds and 1 has sprouted.  Thanks, Bryan!

Haskorea.jpg

Here's a 7 Pot Primo that finally started growing.  The next pic is a BOC that came up along with the primo but this guy just doesn't want to grow.  Thinking Kratky might jump start it.

Primo.jpg

BOC.jpg

Next up are some sweet peppers that we wanted.  Melrose, Jimmy Nardelo and Corno Di Toro.

JN.jpg

Corno.jpg

And last is this Beth Boyd bonnet that's looking good.  I have a couple more of these and a couple Schneider Farms bonnets to satisfy the yella bonnets that Rob (Bicycle808) got me started on.  Where is Rob by the way?  Haven't seen him around in a while.

BethB.jpg

More later

Deleted triple post and evidently pics too and I don't even drink!  Maybe I need to start.  Oh well.  I'll try to repost later.  Took me 20 mins to get the pics here the first time due to slow internet.  

Let's try again.

Moved this BOC to Kratky to see if that will jump start the little guy.  It doesn't look like it has grown any since getting it's first true leaves.

BOC3:14.jpg

This Rocopica F2 X is a strange looking plant.  The lateral growth, since topping, just doesn't look right.  

IMG_2261.jpg

It's taking forever to upload photos for some reason so that's all for now.  

At that rate your uploads could take a little while  ;)

That post-topping growth is a lot like how Cardenasii will grow.  Pre-topping it had seemed it would grow like a rocoto. The card's will snake out to the sides and can get long and wide without really turning upward, even more so IMO the CGN.  Yours seems to have rocoto-like leaves, but a cardenasii growth pattern of growing straight up then snaking from the laterals.  You have a couple going now I'm really curious to see mature.

CaneDog said:
At that rate your uploads could take a little while  ;)

That post-topping growth is a lot like how Cardenasii will grow.  Pre-topping it had seemed it would grow like a rocoto. The card's will snake out to the sides and can get long and wide without really turning upward, even more so IMO the CGN.  Yours seems to have rocoto-like leaves, but a cardenasii growth pattern of growing straight up then snaking from the laterals.  You have a couple going now I'm really curious to see mature.

Our internet is dsl and the quality has been going downhill for a while now.  Sometimes it pretty good but seems more and more we have speed issues.

Yeah, it'll be interesting watching this one and the questionable CGN Cardenasii mature.  

Hey, Ty (and CD), I topped my rocopica a
few days ago, so don’t know how it will grow
out yet. But will be sure to compare to that one
as the season wears on. It is still pretty small.

Good to see those Haskorea poppin’ for you.
Will start mine in a few days, so will be playing
catch up!

Not a big update but I wanted to show this BOC progress that was moved to Kratky.

This little guy hadn't been making any progress and I wanted to try to give it a boost.
post-15072-0-74844000-1584047041_thumb.jpg

So on 3/14 I moved it to a quart size canning jar with master blend nutes.

post-15072-0-97283700-1584224989_thumb.jpg

And here it is today, 8 days later.  I think it looks much better.  The leaves have grown noticeably and have a healthy dark green color.

IMG_2292.jpeg

I put a layer of hydroton in the bottom of the net cup to place the rockwool cube on and then surrounded it with more hydroton to stabilize it.  In just 8 days it has grown it's root through the hydroton and into the nutrient solution at least 2 inches.   I'm impressed.

IMG_2288.jpeg

So I've been absent for a little while and fell behind posting here.  I was doing some yard work a little over a week ago and had a heart attack.  Wound up in the hospital for a few days (just where I didnt want to be with all that's going on) but I am improving now.  Been taking it easy per doc's instructions and gradually getting more and more active.  I was supposed to have cardiac rehab but that aint happening due to the covid virus so I'm trying to do a little more each day on my own.  The plants are doing good.  The wife kept them watered for me.  

I have decided to reduce the number of plants I'll be growing this year to make things easier on me.  I had triples and doubles of a lot of them so I have been going through them and only keeping the best looking ones.  That's really hard to do.  Some of them look pretty good but it has to be done.  I'll get some pics posted soon for an update.

I've been looking at everyone's glog's and see a lot of progress!  

Tybo said:
So I've been absent for a little while and fell behind posting here.  I was doing some yard work a little over a week ago and had a heart attack.  Wound up in the hospital for a few days (just where I didnt want to be with all that's going on) but I am improving now.  Been taking it easy per doc's instructions and gradually getting more and more active.  I was supposed to have cardiac rehab but that aint happening due to the covid virus so I'm trying to do a little more each day on my own.  The plants are doing good.  The wife kept them watered for me.  

I have decided to reduce the number of plants I'll be growing this year to make things easier on me.  I had triples and doubles of a lot of them so I have been going through them and only keeping the best looking ones.  That's really hard to do.  Some of them look pretty good but it has to be done.  I'll get some pics posted soon for an update.

I've been looking at everyone's glog's and see a lot of progress!  
Ouch! I hate to hear that, Ty. Glad you are
taking it easy and that your honey was able
to hold down the fort for you.

Good luck getting your grow to a manageable
size. Do you have a friend that you can hand
off the plants to?

Take care of yourself, friend! And take care of
that ticker! You only have one.

Likewise, very sorry to hear that, but glad you avoided COVID at the hospital and that you're doing better and becoming progressively more active, again.  Cutting back your grow sounds like a good plan.  I know that takes some of the stress off me when plant maintenance demands start to feel high.  Often the ability to focus on fewer plants can mean a more rewarding grow, too. 

Best wishes as you're going through the recovery process.

Sorry to read this Tybo, but I'm glad you're on the mend. Take it slow and easy; healing takes time. And reducing your grow is a very good idea. You can go hog-wild next year! Take care of yourself....and post often lol.

Back