• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

unknown pepper plant 2" tall already flowering

So a while back, someone gave me a hot pepper, I liked it and being me i saved some seeds from it, well i finally planted one in a flower box i use to start peppers and it sprouted, grew to about 2" tall and has been flowering already; I don't know any pepper that flowers that early, strangely enough my 2 Bhut Jalokia peppers that are in the same flower box, are only 4" tall and have started flowering as well; I'm certain they (bhut's) are not root bound yet, but I will be moving them to bigger pots on Monday; anyone else have similar experiences? I did a search and came up with a few 5" plants producing flowers, but I thougth 2" to be quite extreem. my guess for the pepper is that it is a zimbabwe bird pepper, or brazilian malagueta pepper; i won't be able to provide images of the pepper until some actually grow, but any guesses/experiance would be helpful; peppers were approx 3/4"-1" long x 1/4" wide, red and slightly wrinkled, and pretty darn hot, but not quite as hot as a tepin or scotch bonnet

I have got four plants that are about the same size, maybe up to five inches and they are flowering and setting fruit. I think they can tell that the cold weather is coming and want to get their babies out before the frost so that their species can continue.

Welcome from Fort Worth...

I see you are in Vermont...are you going to grow these thru the winter inside?

talas said:
Yep theres a rush for the light from the plants before winter approaches :)
Actually peppers don't respond to changes in photoperiod. I believe its the extra red light in Autumn that is causing the early flowers

POTAWIE said:
Actually peppers don't respond to changes in photoperiod. I believe its the extra red light in Autumn that is causing the early flowers
or late flowers...if yer some of my plants. :rolleyes:

wow thanks for all the responses, ill be growing these indoors (2 bhut, mystery mini plant, plus two other mystery plants), i have some plants in a greenhouse (2 hab's of unknown variety, plus about 14-16 fledgeling plants of unknown breed and 1 jalapeno, again of unknown variety) the reason i dont know what my plants are specifically is because i had the seeds all seperated in individually labeled plastic bags in the fridge, i told my live in girlfriend that i was going to plant them, and she took it upon herself to plant them for me, and not label the seeds.. I can guestimate a bit as to what they are based on leaves, but until fruit sets i cant be certain, especailly since i have cayanne plants mixed in with takanatsume, which both look very similar, except when the fruit is ripe

ok so i got off my lazy butt and took some photos; can you guys maybe identify it from them? no peppers have set yet, but there are buds,
so far i know that it is not a takanotsume, due to the way the blossoms are growing (teardrop instead of straight up)
IMGP0184.jpg

IMGP0189.jpg

Back