• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Variegated Jalapeno Grow Log

So a couple years back when I was working on a commercial grow for a greenhouse I spotted this guy when I was sorting through a few dozen of our Jalapenos in 512 cell trays.  It wasn't likely to be a cross, as the seeds came from isolated seed stock from a company that only sells to nurseries. None of the other plants we had ended up looking like this. I was keeping a close eye on them.  We didn't offer any variegated peppers there at the time, so I had a hunch it was something special.  I took it home with me and tossed it in a SOLO cup.  

Yt7BZGw.jpg

Where I found him:

X6tHNjG.jpg

A bit later on that season I snapped a few more pics of the plant.  

tWsIVZ8.jpg
S4xzmil.jpg

I waited for the pods to ripen and saved seeds, hoping for good things.   They took a long time to ripen and were quite corked.  Unfortunate that I didn't think to take better photos at the time:

coI9gGN.jpg

Shortly afterwards I started some of those seeds and these guys turned up:

131015081-3826596444067522-505638449927604599-o.jpg
E07Ln7x.jpg
131014557-3826004967460003-1439661440858005118-n.jpg

This is about as far as I managed with them, as I moved three hours away and started a new job.  Many of my plants were severely neglected for a span of a few months and all but one of them kicked the bucket.  I'm happy that I sent out seeds for these to several folks (who did have success with them!) and I am starting to grow some more thanks to Paul G and Chris Phillips. 

130822830-3826591190734714-1850438980484309951-o.jpg
20201210-165406.jpg

That's where I am right now!  Hopefully Canedog, Paul and Chris will chime in with their experience growing them.

Cheers.

Alright, Patrick leading the way!

The one on the left looks like a mature plant!

Acprkit said:
First jalapeño has flowered (a bouquet!). 53 days since seed was planted. No variegation on this one, but going to grow it out given how quickly it’s grown.
:party: Yes, for sure!   :thumbsup:

In all likelihood, it may grow out white
branches down the road, and throw
some very nice variegated pods. The
foliage has the crinkly look, so the
genetics are definitely there.

Kudos, Patrick, very nice plant.

Here's how mine are progressing so far:

I have this one in a 1gal Kratky. It's a slow grower for sure, but it makes up for it in looks. It doesn't drink a lot of nutrient solution either, so I'm wondering how it will develop:
jnXKvMk.jpg

A second one growing in coco. This one was growing in the same rockwool cube as the previous plant. I was able to pull it out and transplant it:
Q8LEG1Q.jpg

These have been fun to grow so far. Looking forward to seeing them set pods!

Pepper Merchant said:
Progress is slow but it is steady.
The VJ is doing well and I am seeing some new growth on it. I would like to thank everyone for updating and for sending us the seeds to grow with the group.
Seedling is looking good, PM.

Glad you joined in the fun. Should be
an interesting season with the VJ!

One of the dark/light green continues to pull ahead of the pack with a few peppers growing well. It has small white notes which I’ve slowly been knocking back by spraying with mild soap.

Other peppers have been moved out of the grow tent to a windowsill which will slow down their growth (it’s about 65 degrees) to make room for some other seedlings.

34e646003f8914de17deb9986d72c776.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, first VJ pods of the 2021 season!

Looks like it could be a beast of a plant.

For a Jalapeño   ;)

It's great to see the increased number of people growing these this season and active in this thread.  I'm hoping we'll see new and interesting things as a result.  

Looks like I finally have something to post again, with these sprouts hooking on Friday.  Great germination results on this batch with 5/6 popping on day 5 and the last one shortly after.

The first picture are F3 sprouts - my selected F2 from CTB's F1's.  Front and center sprout shows anthocyanin in the main stem and variegation in the cotyledons.  It's a bit hard to see the two behind, but the left plant has anthocyanin with no variegation in the cotyledons and the right one has no anthocyanin and no cotyledon variegation.
20210307 VJalapG2F3a.jpg

These sprouts are F2's from CTB's original F1's.  The split is similar - 2 with antho 1 without - and it seems, but even in person I can't tell for sure yet, that the hooked sprout may have variegation in the cotyledons.
20210307 VjalapG1F2a.jpg

My current plan is to grow these 6 out in smallish containers, probably N1 or N2 size, and isolate for variegated with and without anthocyanin, though I'll be keeping my eyes open for other distinct traits.

Good luck to all this season.

CaneDog said:
My current plan is to grow these 6 out in smallish containers, probably N1 or N2 size, and isolate for variegated with and without anthocyanin, though I'll be keeping my eyes open for other distinct traits.

Good luck to all this season.
Sounds like a good plan, CD. I’m thinking
of #2 trade pots, 1.5 gallons capacity. Not
sure how many I’ll grow. I have nine started.

PaulG said:
Sounds like a good plan, CD. I’m thinking
of #2 trade pots, 1.5 gallons capacity. Not
sure how many I’ll grow. I have nine started.

I think that's about a perfect size for getting solid development out of these without taking up too much soil and space.  Unfortunately, even the #2's might be pushing it for me keeping 6, so probably only the most interesting ones will get the better foot room.

CaneDog said:

I think that's about a perfect size for getting solid development out of these without taking up too much soil and space.  Unfortunately, even the #2's might be pushing it for me keeping 6, so probably only the most interesting ones will get the better foot room.
I may even go down to #1 pots.
Still waffling on this choice. I may also
just grow them indoors. Will have to wait
to see how I feel in a month or so.

In the meantime, i need to top off the
quart pots with a little potting soil.

Back