food VEGETARIAN THROWDOWNS

Status
Not open for further replies.
millworkman said:
The only veggie thing I have ever enjoyed were gardenburgers from a local homemade place.
For reals?!! You don't like any vegetables?!

Mel, are you looking for the :sick: sick smilie?

And if a person liked brussel sprouts, which I do, PK's Idea would be good. Maybe parboil or steam them first to let them cook quicker on the barbie.

salsalady said:
Mel, are you looking for the :sick: sick smilie?

And if a person liked brussel sprouts, which I do, PK's Idea would be good. Maybe parboil or steam them first to let them cook quicker on the barbie.

I see them as little cabbages....

Am I wrong?

thats the smiley i was looking for - thanks salsalady :)

paulie, i dont like them, but you might... i just have bad memories of my grandma cooking overboiled sailty brussell sprouts so thats what turned me off!

mel said:
thats the smiley i was looking for - thanks salsalady :)

paulie, i dont like them, but you might... i just have bad memories of my grandma cooking overboiled sailty brussell sprouts so thats what turned me off!

That'd do it!

I'm thinking still crunchy, fresh, grilled, and tasty....but I've been wrong before!

parboil and then lots of butter,add some garlic to the butter or olive oil if it's a saute, and I'd probably add salt pepper chile flakes...... pretty good!

They are like little cabbages but they have a slightly stronger taste, maybe hints of strong broccoli???.

And Mel- I have a memory of my mom cooking eggplant and we had a rule of the house, you have to eat 2 bites.
Well, I got the first bite in my mouth, couldn't swallow it, took a swig of milk, still couldn't swallow it, everything came out onto the plate.................I think they cancelled the 2-bite rule after that>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think they are similar to asparagus in that if they are cooked right they are yummy, fresh and still crunchy. But how can you compare fresh asparagus properly cooked to something slimy that comes out of a can or as Mel described, something overcooked, salty and soggy?

Princess Paul, it depends on the prep. I think it is a sulphurous thing. I've been told that you are supposed to cut an X in the bottom to get rid of that.

hahaaa... i had the same thing salsalady.. this one time.. my mum really overdid the peas.. dried and really yuck.. i filled my mouth up and managed to say i was going to the toilet... go to the toilet and spit them out and mum comes walking down the hall.. had to turn around and get my pants down quick smart!

salsalady said:
parboil and then lots of butter,add some garlic to the butter or olive oil if it's a saute, and I'd probably add salt pepper chile flakes...... pretty good!

They are like little cabbages but they have a slightly stronger taste, maybe hints of strong broccoli???.

And Mel- I have a memory of my mom cooking eggplant and we had a rule of the house, you have to eat 2 bites.
Well, I got the first bite in my mouth, couldn't swallow it, took a swig of milk, still couldn't swallow it, everything came out onto the plate.................I think they cancelled the 2-bite rule after that>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think they are similar to asparagus in that if they are cooked right they are yummy, fresh and still crunchy. But how can you compare fresh asparagus properly cooked to something slimy that comes out of a can or as Mel described, something overcooked, salty and soggy?

Asparagus is my all-time favorite!!

I was "force-fed" un-properly cooked asparagus as a kid and never touched it again until a few years ago when I could get it fresh at the farmers market and PROPERLY cook it. SalsaNut0.5 even eats it. Are we still on the vegetarian throwdown thread, or has that idea been abandoned????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back