• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Very interesting!

In this picture you see 2 groups of Naga Morich peppers.

Both harvests came from the same plants. The group on the left was harvested the day I put the plants indoors, so they actually did all their growing and ripening outdoors.

The group on the right ripened very quickly under the stress of inadequate light, and an abrupt change in temperature after they were moved indoors.

The harvests took place about 7 days apart, the first harvest was kept in the refrigerator. The second harvest were still 100% green when I moved them inside but were already changing color the next day.

As you can see, all of the indoor ripened pods are a much darker red color
and the ones on the bottom right even darker still. That dark color is not
patches that have not ripened. They are a very deep, dark red and thats where they stopped changing color. They do not match the bright red/orange of every other Naga I've harvested this year.
I've never seen a Naga this color before.

Being very intrigued by this difference, I wanted to see if there were any other differences as well so I made separate batches of sauce with them.

Differences is sauce are that the indoor ripened naga's made a darker colored sauce, obviously, but it also has a noticeably more fruity flavor and scent.

Additionally, the capsaicin seems to have different effects, possibly
due to a different balance of capsaicin vs di-hydrocapsaicin? Just a guess.

The sauce made from the lighter colored peppers had a burn that began right away, peaked fairly quickly,
(perhaps 60 seconds) and then faded very slowly.

The sauce made from the darker pods have much less noticeable burn the first few seconds, build very slowly in intensity to a peak at about the same heat as the first at around 2 minutes, and fades away more slowly.

So they basically both take about the same amount of time to fade away and reach a similar peak in intensity,
but the lighter pods get there much faster, darker pods take their time.

Same plants in different environments = different fruit.

Not really that surprising, but its cool to see it so graphically demonstrated.

Very interesting indeed :hell:

Bunch800.jpg

Thats pretty cool...I tasted the difference too in that bunch of Serannos I had. There was a difference in both color and taste for the one pepper that had been ripe, vs the 3 others that turned after I'd bought them.

BigDogDaddy said:
dang....I thought I was analytical....you got it bad amigo!

Well, I'm not about to launch a full scale investigation or write a research paper on it, but I did think the differences were interesting enough to post on a pepper growers forum :-)

I've never seen them that color before.

I would like to raise the question of:

If I had a Hab plant in a container and its loaded with green pods. Should we bring it in to ripen quicker and then take it back out to fruit again. Hopefully speeding things up.

Sounds like a future experiment...

skealo said:
I would like to raise the question of:

If I had a Hab plant in a container and its loaded with green pods. Should we bring it in to ripen quicker and then take it back out to fruit again. Hopefully speeding things up.

Sounds like a future experiment...

If you have the proper environment for them inside, there is no need to take them outside to get fruit. Pepper plants are self pollinating and do not require insect activity to produce fruit. As long as there is a good breeze over them or you give the plants a shake every day to loosen some pollen.

I'll let you know how I do. My plants have produced a lot of new flowers since I brought them inside. I have a fan on them. If everything goes according to plan, they should begin to set fruit in a week or two. I will let you know how it goes.

Well, I'm not about to launch a full scale investigation or write a research paper on it, but I did think the differences were interesting enough to post on a pepper growers forum :-)

I've never seen them that color before.

Just funnin, not givin ya a hard time at all:lol:

It is good info to know...and thanks again for sharing it.:onfire:

That is pretty cool. I would have liked to see those bottom 8 pods in the right side photo turned into powder; would have been a nice maroon.
Any pictures of the two sauces?

Josh said:
Any pictures of the two sauces?

Matter of fact yes. The middle two bottles were made from 48 of the dark pods. The front bottle was made from 25 of the lighter pods.

The one in the back was an older batch, also made from normal colored pods.
That far back one is actually lighter than it appears in the pic.

All other ingredients were identical.

Narly1.jpg

I bring all my Carribean reds inside to ripen, and they ripen MUCH faster indoors under CFLs.

Although, I have to make sure there are not too many immature pods on the bush because they tend to fall off.

The environment effects more than we realize..I have yellow Morouga Outside has loads of tiny pods on it but the one inside same size has only got half as much :)

Skyjerk said:
Matter of fact yes. The middle two bottles were made from 48 of the dark pods.

Wow I easily could have guessed that. Didn't expect it to be that way. Cool and nice sauce.

The dark color is actually a low pH Anthocyanin, caused by the far-end wavelengths your lights produce.

the more (hotter) sunlight chile plants receive the hotter the peppers

consider winter pods v summer pods

stressing plants is a means to increasing pungency in plants

Omri, you have also blown me away with the Anthocyanin post!

Back