• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest Vote! Mexican TD

Who has the best entry?

• mesatrin - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/24376-begin-mexican-td/page__view__findpost_

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • wheebz - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/24376-begin-mexican-td/page__view__findpost__p

• zdecker - [url="http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/24376-begin-mexican-td/page__view__findpost__

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
geeme, have you had fresh ground course black pepper? I know you say it tastes like dirt, and yeah, some places have those little shakers with gray dust in them, and that tastes horrible.
Actually, yes. I am a firm believer that we should all periodoically try things we haven't previously cared for, since our tastes tend to change over time. And, as you've said, different sources have different flavors.

HOWEVER - I have never had this particular dislike (loathing!) change. For whatever reason, it comes across to me (both smell and taste) like a week-old dirty diaper pail smells.... who wants to put THAT in their mouth?!? {Insert a bunch o' shuddering here...}

Can't explain it, it just IS!

That's cool. Try some different color peppercorns you may discover one you like. Perhaps green or rose. Or GP, RP ;)

That's cool. Try some different color peppercorns you may discover one you like. Perhaps green or rose. Or GP, RP ;)
Yeah - tried those, too. No such luck. Basically, anything in the same family as BP is out.
There again, this site is devoted to the glorious thing that is capsaicin - I'll stick with that!

Burningtastebuds makes a nice little grinder with bhut jolokia and sea salt. There you go ;)

Rose peppercorns are actually not related.

Go lunchbox!
Good spread, and I know you've been working on it trying to plate up and photograph it better.
Flamecycle, crazy huh? Only me and you voted for lunchbox so far. Massive respect for you, voting for LB :cool:

Yeah, I thought LB's pictures looked delicious. He had some stiff competition though.

everything looks great - i went with Flamecycle.

Thanks man! I have no problem taking sympathy votes :P

Thanks guys...so many unique ones, and really great ones. Thanks for your support!

Your post was awesome :cheers:

Great job to everybody else, especially those of you who really went all out. I think the spread out voting reflects how awesome several peoples entries were, this must have been one of the toughest crowns to win.

LOL caught you out on a spelling/grammar mistake! Woohoo!

fresh ground course black pepper

fresh ground COARSE black pepper

I reiterate: LOL and Woohoo :D

: shakes fist :

Damm you!

geeme...I understand. I won't touch food that has sour cream anywhere near it. I won't even kiss my lovely wife if she's eaten it, until she's brushed her teeth.

But...I pride myself on my 5 pepper corn grinder, coarse grinder, and adjustable grinder. Would I be correct to assume you don't care for cumin/comino?

PS - Anyone want to try to convince me they didn't use it???

Actually the only place I used it in my entire throw down was a few grinds of pepper medley in the marinade for the steaks which was left off the steaks when grilling and tossed with the rest of the used marinade.

So,

Only in the marinade.

Tossed and never actually eaten.

And it was a medley.

V

Ok, I think everyone gave an awesome effort. There sure were a lot of great entries. I wish I could have seen Avon's a little clearer because it sounds awesome. Some great first time entries. Loved watching the processes that everyone went through. Some of you did a LOT of work. In the end though, for me it always comes down to which one of these dishes do I just want to EAT? There were two that stood out to me. Not necessarily the largest most complicated most authentic any of that, just ones that made me drool. Those were SL and Sum. In the end, as much as it almost pains me to do so. I am going with Sum. That cheesy melty thing is just what my little brain craves when I want Mexican. Great job! And great job to everyone.

NO BP in mine Geeme! Not one little Spec! The steak was all homemade chile powder and garlic salt. Same with the ground beef tacos. Mole? ABSOLUTLEY NOT! Not even in the Relleno batter, or the salsa, There wasn't even any on the table or in the dining room!

Just thought I'd say....

Would I be correct to assume you don't care for cumin/comino?
That would be a negative - I purchase cumin in bulk. It's of the apiaceae family, not the piperaceae family, and doesn't have the sharp ammonia-type impression I get from piperaceae. RP, of the anacardiaceae, however, does seem to come across the same way to me.

That would be a negative - I purchase cumin in bulk. It's of the apiaceae family, not the piperaceae family, and doesn't have the sharp ammonia-type impression I get from piperaceae. RP, of the anacardiaceae, however, does seem to come across the same way to me.

I know they're not "related", but to me, they have very complimentary flavors, and they both have an 'earthy' taste. I don't get that "sharp ammonia-type impression" at all from black pepper. Who knows...

Actually the only place I used it in my entire throw down was a few grinds of pepper medley in the marinade for the steaks which was left off the steaks when grilling and tossed with the rest of the used marinade.
So,
Only in the marinade.
Tossed and never actually eaten.
And it was a medley.
NO BP in mine Geeme! Not one little Spec! The steak was all homemade chile powder and garlic salt. Same with the ground beef tacos. Mole? ABSOLUTLEY NOT! Not even in the Relleno batter, or the salsa, There wasn't even any on the table or in the dining room!
Just thought I'd say....
I think I should have asked for money! :rofl:

Actually, I think EVERYONE did a great job. Have narrowed it down to 3, but not decided just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back