• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! SumOfMy Dutch Oven Cooking Throwdown

Who has the best?

• JayT - Watch Your Six Pepper Pork

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm making this up as I go along, so am planning on posting back here as decisions are made, ingredients added. Starting shot: one slab o' corned beef and one dutchie:
t1.jpg

Browned the brisket, then slapped in pinot grigio (I liked the black cork), garlic, paprika, tarragon, fatalii and datil powder, allspice, mustard powder, and saffron.
t2.jpg

That will sit on the stove for several hours, while I ruminate on what should come next. Stay tuned....

Time for the roots - yukon gold, rutabaga, and red onion. Plus more seasoning - more garlic, tarragon, coriander, thyme and cayenne. And butter was calling my name, so half a stick went in:
t3.jpg

I am following the Indian approach (but not flavors) in this, in that each time I add something, I also add more seasonings. This time, acorn squash, plus more mustard powder and saffron:
t4.jpg

This won't be much to look at, but it smells amazing!

Time for more color, and more fatalii powder:
t5.jpg

JayT just used his awesome telepathic powers to send me a message: asparagus. Plus more mustard powder:
t6.jpg

Threw the meat and mountain of veggies into a pan to keep warm in the oven. Brought the liquid to a boil after adding more garlic, mustard powder, cayenne, and tarragon. After reducing, threw in some sour cream, then continued to cook until thickened just a bit:
t7.jpg

Piled veggies and meat on a plate, drizzled sauce all around.

DO Comfort:
t8.jpg

geeme, your images are small compared to other's pictures. Try uploading to (photobucket or whoever) at a larger size. THP forum will resize them smaller if they are too large. Better than being too small.

Man, this stuff is making me hungry already!

Marcie, even if it's past the deadline, post what you make! It's still fun to see what everyone creates.

TB why did you hide yours in an old post? You don't get good comments that way. Bad stateegeriee!

wow. the entries look amazing. i just got back in town from tending to some family business. while i don't think that i have a chance, i'm going to try to get something going in a hurry - nothing fancy - bbq beef. borrowed a do from a neighbor - don't have time to cook cowboy style - although it looks fun.

ingredients: chuck roast, red pepper, onions, celery, cayenne powder, chipolte chiles, brown sugar, ketchup, red wine (not pictured):

P1020559.jpg

into the do and into the oven (added some cabarnet):

P1020560.jpg

based on the other entries i'm not sure why i'm entering other than we need to have something for dinner tongiht :)

good luck to all

OMG this TD has so much awesomeness JayT has scratched his original entry and is "trying again" :rofl:

JayT, I guess you are not the superhero we all thought you were? Someone update the Chronicles! Superhero tries again! :rofl:

OMG this TD has so much awesomeness JayT has scratched his original entry and is "trying again" :rofl:

JayT, I guess you are not the superhero we all thought you were? Someone update the Chronicles! Superhero tries again! :rofl:

I didn't scratch the original, rather decided to expound on my greatness with another entry. Never question my superpowers knave!

TB - looking good. not sure that i've ever seen a better looking chimi
Wheebz - love the cioppinno (it's one of my favorite dishes)
MWChilehead - not sure what to say on this one other than to ask what time dinner is
Sum- looking good, you've set the bar pretty darn high
SL - absolutely incredible. i love to grill/cook in the snow - looks like you had a great time. i travel to seattle (boeing) quite a bit - can i come on over for dinner?
JayT - whatever you decide on will be a winner
Geeme - can't wait to see yours
buddy - looks like your threepeat is history - you don't have a chance!

updated progress.

beef cooked and shredded:

P1020575.jpg

balance of ingredients added (also used bay leaf, mustard powder, vinegar, and a bit of molasses). back in the oven for another 1.5 hours.

P1020578.jpg

SL - i travel to seattle (boeing) quite a bit - can i come on over for dinner?

Buddy, we're about 6 hours from Seattle so if you make the trip, I'll cook you dinner!

You're beef in the dutchie is looking good! Once again, wishing Smell-a-vision or StarTrek replicators exist. :lol:

okay - here's my entry. may not be the most creative, but it sure tastes good.

wow. the entries look amazing. i just got back in town from tending to some family business. while i don't think that i have a chance, i'm going to try to get something going in a hurry - nothing fancy - bbq beef. borrowed a do from a neighbor - don't have time to cook cowboy style - although it looks fun.

ingredients: chuck roast, red pepper, onions, celery, cayenne powder, chipolte chiles, brown sugar, ketchup, red wine (not pictured):

P1020559.jpg

into the do and into the oven (added some cabarnet):

P1020560.jpg

updated progress.

beef cooked and shredded:

P1020575.jpg

balance of ingredients added (also used bay leaf, mustard powder, vinegar, and a bit of molasses). back in the oven for another 1.5 hours:
P1020578.jpg

cooked and still in the do:

P1020582.jpg

ready to eat:

P1020585.jpg

nothing fancy - served on a paper plate - buddy's dutch oven bbq beef

Wheebz!!! Happy (belated) B-Day!!!

Buddy, nice looking grub.

JayT... ain't not doubt about what that is! That bird was NOT microwaved!

TB... Dog bowls. Classic.

Geeme- throw the rest of the contents of your fridge and pantry into it!

Geeme- throw the rest of the contents of your fridge and pantry into it!
LOL - not enough room in that pot! Actually, I was specifically going for flavors that would both use the flavor of the corned beef, yet also morph it into something unlike the standard corned beef. Ended up not using the poblano, for example. At least I did succeed in my goal.

Let's not go repost crazy again lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back