• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! SumOfMy Dutch Oven Cooking Throwdown

Who has the best?

• JayT - Watch Your Six Pepper Pork

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
midwest,

jmho- previously prepared chiles like that are fine. I had planned on using some previously roasted/frozen chiles also but forgot to take them out of the freezer.

I don't think previously prepared chiles in any form can be disqualified. That would pretty much eliminate any form of chile that is not fresh.

Edit- THP just posted about this. It's good. :cool:

No, you caught me. They were blistered on a grill prior to freezing. I guess by that logic, the tomatoes would have been enough to DQ me since they were blanched in boiling water prior to peeling, crushing and freezing. I guess if I would have used can green chiles and canned tomatoes it would have been ok since someone else did the roasting and peeling. That will teach me to use my own produce. Cest la vie.

I get this.

No way those grilled chilies were frozen and then thawed... and looked like that... but I get this.

Roasted chilies accepted on this condition.

NO DQ

[edit: as long as they went into a dutch oven.]

Thanks, but it won't matter with all the AWSOMENESS SL, Sum, JayT, TB, wheebz and the others are throwing down. :eek: I'm obviously out of my league here with my one measly CI DO and no cooking skills. :) I think I'll just stick to what I'm best at :beer:

True story.

It's okay. We can consider them prepared ingredients, you did freeze them after all, so really, they were. :)

Midwest, there's nothin' out of your league, amigo! You did a great entry, and you never know who will get the votes. It's the QUALITY...not just the Quantity!...of the Dutch Ovens!

Heck, Wheebz's one-pot seafood feast is a winner for me and he doesn't even have an countertop!

:lol:

They were frozen and then thawed. I was going to take a picture of the ziplocks they came out of, but I already took the trash out so you will just have to trust me on this one. Plus, the date written on the ziplocks might scare some people - they were processed and went into the freezer in September 2006. I actually took them out of the freezer last Wednesday, along with the tomatoes (I got a week ahead of myself in anticipation for the throwdown!) My wife can vouch for me because as they were thawing in the fridge, some of the chile liquor leaked and she got to clean it up. And yes, it all went into the DO.

No way those grilled chilies were frozen and then thawed... and looked like that... but I get this.

Roasted chilies accepted on this condition.

NO DQ

[edit: as long as they went into a dutch oven.]

Thanks, SL. I thought I had two CI DOs. I thought one was actually a camp oven with the legs and flat lid, but I guess I misremembered. While tanking my cornbread, I did learn that the domed lids are not really conducive to top heat cooking. In addition to burning the bottom of the cornbread, the lid shifted while I was taking it off and the top of the cornbread got covered with coals. :oops: It made me say bad words and throw things :censored:

They were frozen and then thawed. I was going to take a picture of the ziplocks they came out of, but I already took the trash out so you will just have to trust me on this one. Plus, the date written on the ziplocks might scare some people - they were processed and went into the freezer in September 2006. I actually took them out of the freezer last Wednesday, along with the tomatoes (I got a week ahead of myself in anticipation for the throwdown!) My wife can vouch for me because as they were thawing in the fridge, some of the chile liquor leaked and she got to clean it up. And yes, it all went into the DO.

HAD to go back and check out your post. NO WAY you're out of league. Those roasted-frozen-thawed peppers look EXACTLY like what comes off my grill.

If you're willing to divulge they were there since '06... I believe you.

Good show MWCH!

I told myself I was NOT going to TD this weekend. But while I was at the store tonight, started tossing some things into the basket that might feasibly go into a DO. MIGHT.
tease.jpg

If I remember how to cook between now and 11pm tomorrow night, that is.

Have a beer... a cheap one... it will come back to you.
I have faith in you Geeme... don't let me down!

i am drunk

drunky drunk drunk

its my birfday

but holy shit i totally lost this throwdown

you guys and gals wrecked me beyond belief

I'm sitting here at a race and being jealous as hell over these submissions!

I would give anything to go to SalsaLady's place or check out the triple Dutch oven.

Get ready for my Late Losers submission tomorrow. :(

Well after seeing the awesomeness that was last night, I have decided to try again and ramp things up a little. I would love to go outside and use charcoal, but it is POURING here so I am going to rough it in my kitchen. I did post a second teaser pic yesterday, but I have to scratch that one. It just didn't have enough going on. So... here is the new and improved teaser:

100_8313.jpg

What's with the coin-swastika?

Cant wait to see what you do with all that JT. That, paired with TB's dog bowls, means today's gonna be a good day!

Things are heating up as we speak...

Didn't mean for the coinage to look like anything, kinda just threw them out there.

TB are you really going to use dog bowls?

Ok, here we go. Round two: JayT's Southern Fried Chicken, Collard Greens, and Hushpuppies.

I'll start with the ingredients:

twelve chicken pieces (legs and thighs)
buttermilk
spices
hot sauce
flour
vegetable shortening
collard greens
ham hock
hot sauce
vinegar
spices
chicken broth
hushpuppies
flour
cornmeal
baking powder
eggs
buttermilk
mayo
mustard
hot sauce

The process is simple. Marinade the chicken in a seasoned buttermilk overnight, dredge in seasoned flour, fry in dutch oven with about 3/4 of an inch of vegetable shortening at about 360F for 10-12 minutes per side. Let rest on a wire rack while making the next batch. The collard greens start with three quarts of water/chicken stock mix, the ham hock, hot sauce, pepper, salt, and pepper powders. Cook at 375F for an hour put in the collards stirring. Cook for another hour. Add the vinegar and more salt or hot sauce to taste. Hush puppies, mix the dry ingredients together, mix the wet ingredients together, slowly add the wet mix and make into a dough. I like to roll mine out and roll in a little more corn meal. Fry in the same oil at same temp as the chicken for about 3-4 minutes. I also mixed up a dip of mayo, mustard and HBD's 1498 Scorpion sauce. Wash it all down with a big glass of sweet tea.

100_8330.jpg

100_8331.jpg

100_8328.jpg

100_8329.jpg

100_8333.jpg

Here's the rest of the story:

100_8314.jpg

Seasoned flour

100_8315.jpg

Resting on wire rack for 15 minutes while the shortening get hot

100_8318.jpg

Into the pool

100_8321.jpg

100_8316.jpg

Boiling the ham hock

100_8317.jpg

In with the greens

100_8320.jpg

after two hours

Shredding the ham hock and back into the pot

100_8323.jpg

100_8325.jpg

Hushpuppies

Double duty

100_8322.jpg

I think I will be eating leftovers for while!

I'm just so impressed someone on this thread knows what the Maillard reaction is (besides me.) Oh, and really nice-looking pot-o' grub you go there, too!

Everyone's making a fine show so far!

big part of the brewing world :)

happens a lot during the boil, changing SRM and flavor profiles

Damn TB, I just went back and checked your post out. I couldn't figure out where it was when you said it was posted. It's on page one if anyone else missed it. That looks awesome. I can almost taste it. I still can't believe you used Missylou's bowl. Bwahahahaha. :rofl:

On a side note, I can't believe that the Cowboy Cooker hasn't made an appearance yet. :lol:

Yep - I was missing TB's post, as well. Didn't go back quite far enough, but will now. JayT tho - you've got a couple that just say "posted image" instead of displaying. But that aside - really now, how can I bother posting an entry with all that amazing goodness???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back