• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Dang, there goes the drool on my keyboard again! :drooling:
lol Lourens, thanks always for the nice comments ^_^

Nice appetizers, cooked down Garbanzos looks down right good ! Happy Hour it is !
Yep that pod looks like a TFM. (Trenton Farmers Mkt) No one really knows where the original seeds came from. But as I've seen in the W.Indiez....therez alot of podz called the Bonnetz.....mon
Greg and they go great with Rum :)

Noooo problem mon! Food shots look insanely tasty my dude!
Jamison, thank you for checking dem out and not hard to make, either fresh or with left over beans ... I think I make more spreads and meals than hot sauce as the hot sauce lasts a little longer, hehe.

:party: What they said :party: Looking tasty mon!!!
Thanks for checkin and nice comment Jamie … boy that steak & ribs you made was awesome!!!

I took some pictures below of our white birds of paradise based on a banter exchange with Karl in his glog here and here. Karl now every time I look at my white birds of paradise I think of your grow based on our conversation, funny I never had heard of starting from seeds, but the one in blue pot is how I start them from root ball cuttings …

On left baby and right is Mama or should I say Papa with that huge phallic symbol of a flower pod emerging :D
t4uve8.jpg
qo5zww.jpg

A few white birds of paradise in front of our 150 year old oak tree, these are about 15 feet tall +/- two feet & close up of their flowers
10o2n4l.jpg
2hwpn2c.jpg

6hnex2.jpg

Remember the orchid flower pods in third pic of post #167, they started opening ...
34xgabs.jpg

And today I noticed more flower pods on the other side of the same orchid \o/
k069zs.jpg

Those white Birds of Paradise are very cool. So are the orchids. If you can grow those, chiles are gonna be a snap!
If only bugs didn’t attack chilies like they don’t the white bird or orchids. Fungus or viral can hit the ladder but they seem to bounce back without human involvement. Where as it seems that everything down hear just wants to pounce on dem chilies :/

If only bugs didn’t attack chilies like they don’t the white bird or orchids. Fungus or viral can hit the ladder but they seem to bounce back without human involvement. Where as it seems that everything down hear just wants to pounce on dem chilies :/

That's because you grow them too tasty, the nasties can't resist them!

Amazing pics... have had a strelitzia growing for 3 years in my garden now and never once had a flower. Apparently they take a long long time to throw the first flower :) That is a mega monster strelitzia!

That's because you grow them too tasty, the nasties can't resist them!
hehe, as always thanks for the great comments and feedback :)

Amazing pics... have had a strelitzia growing for 3 years in my garden now and never once had a flower. Apparently they take a long long time to throw the first flower :)That is a mega monster strelitzia!
There must be some nutriment missing in the soil, I have some as small as the one in pot that bloom. Don’t ask me what as I won’t know and I never feed them, well the occasional banana peal in ground is all.

Worked in the yard and garden almost all day yesterday, sorry no pictures but I’ll try to take some today. When I was done it was time to enjoy my favorite unwinding refreshment, I’ll let the pictures do the talking …
28me89f.jpg

I had to take a second shot showing the chilies in the background :)
xxahf.jpg

I have to run offline now because I have a lot to finish up outside today … I should be able to take some pics along the way and hopefully I’ll be able to post up along the day or during breaks. Have a great day & grow :)

Edit: Oh Greg if you read the post in romy6’s glog yesterday there is a house (knock down) down the river from me on deeper water with a double lot, huge that just went up for sale $350k, it’s a steal IMHO … wish I had the money to rebuild.

How many oz's of Rum can you fit in that nut ?
My vessel is a 12oz rock glass.
This was a young coconut and only held 20 ounces of fluid but a few ounces of that was Añejo rum. These are Malaysian Jamaican coconut cross as all my FL's but one died from lethal yellow and it's not producing yet. I’ll have to check later this year to see if larger ones hold more but its possible that as the meat gets thicker there's less space for liquid, you know me I rarely measure, hehe. When they’re real young like this I call them jelly as the meat is thin, around 1/8” thick and its very soft & tender. These make the perfect coconut milk if you go that route but that wasn’t the case with these. While we did eat the meat after some drinks, you don’t wana milk up da good Añejo with jelly scrapings. BTW no ice and the coconut water is cold in that well protected husk, even in summer its fine with out ice but not as cold as these were.

Lunch today; sliced left over grilled pork lion on bread with cheese
2i6jc00.jpg

Spread on a little sofrito starter since I always have some made every week.
sv3vp4.jpg

Spread a little butter on outside of bread and toss into da machine.
2li7jt2.jpg

5 minutes later…
1zqt4qr.jpg

Sliced into half…
30xkjtx.jpg

I’ll post some updated pod shots and planting later, still work to do outside…

That is the life! Nice one!
Thanks but I am sure you know it’s not like that every day, only every other day ;)

A few updated pictures:
2vtw3uq.jpg

110ady8.jpg

4hcopc.jpg

zl6ypf.jpg
33c4p3s.jpg

2vb3itg.jpg
1ie7wk.jpg

mb7u6o.jpg

I couldn't wait till summer and decided to plant 6 of STEVE954's Bonnet-MOA seeds. Thanks Steve :) I'll wait and plant the balance of them in the summer.
1ik6tg.jpg

No more of the others I planted on Jan 1 have sprouted and I'm about to crack those eggs open to see if I can learn anything by observing how the seeds look. I did notice this morning that there's a gnat hanging around one of the eggs, doesn't look good for dem :( Not much to update on the ones that did hatch, they don't seem to grow much compared to all the pros that grow here, guess using the sun as light source isn't as effective here in winter. Although I do get good growth in summer planting, I'll take pics if I see anything interesting and post here. Thanks for looking :)

Loving the photo updates bro!! And I like the Bob Marley flavour in that last shot :D
Thanks for looking Trippa, the Marley album shown I believe is rare and thought it would be appropriate since the seeds planted are from the Jamaican Ministry of Agriculture, via STEVE954. That said, not all is well at WalkGood’s :/ some of the seeds I planted haven’t sprung, I believe its due to a lack of constant warm temperatures in the eggs. It has now been 24 days and only 4 of the original 12 varieties have sprung. I’ll be checking them this weekend to give them a few more days and replant in summer.

You were talking about playing music to chilli plants. It only stands to reason that Jamaican varieties would respond well to Bob Marley. ;)

I've actually played classical music to my seedlings. It was a few years ago and I suppose they liked it, but didn't do any controls so couldn't say.

You are getting some nice pods. I like the food shots showing what you do with them. :D

You were talking about playing music to chilli plants. It only stands to reason that Jamaican varieties would respond well to Bob Marley. ;)

I've actually played classical music to my seedlings. It was a few years ago and I suppose they liked it, but didn't do any controls so couldn't say.

You are getting some nice pods. I like the food shots showing what you do with them. :D

Max Romeo wouldn't be too bad either;)

Is the Album from The days before or after he fell out with lee scratch perry???
All I know is that it was produced in 1977, I think. While I bought mine brand new in the days before CD's (vinyl), I now see it on ebay between $17-$33 so it's probably not as rare as I thought :/ While the Genre is considered Reggae IMHO it really is early Ska/Rocksteady. It’s similar to two other old Marley albums I have “Walling Wailers” that are pure early sky (the wiki link isn’t the exact albums cover I have but darn similar and mine is a two album set). Seems with reprints at that time they changed stuff or whom ever is writing the wiki stuff isn’t always accurate. Funny thing is you should see their haircuts, total buzz, lol. While living there I knew his architect who showed me several houses and the stories he would tell me, wow …

Edit:
lol, that’s funny or they could grow up to be burnouts :D

I’ve read about this before, not something I’ve ever tried or believe it, although studies do show that humans are more productive while listening to music, especially classical.

Thank you and you have great pods too :)

Back