• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

I was beginning to wonder what happened to you, thought you got a little burnt out. I'm sooo sorry to hear about your mom. Thats gotta be super tough man. I couldn't even imagine losing something as close as that. My prayers go out to you and the fam. I always think to myself when something like that happens, life goes on and enjoy it while your here cause you never know what tomorrow is gonna bring. My condolences brethren. :pray:

Ramon, are you quite sure you're not an angel, querido? You surely have some angelic looking, chap-chin-drooling, beautiful MoA pods! Holy ENVY! (= inspiration!) I don't need much convincing to be on a Fla beach but your unwashed Sargasso kelp trials and successes are additional support for my addiction to mama ocean! Really interested in taste of choc scorpion! And the MoA's . . . WOW! Big girls!!! Peace, I miss you . . . and I know you're coming back. I believe your parents/grandparents are having big family get together, dancing, cooking, living again, loving, without pain, no limits! I'd have loved them, I know a plant by its fruits: you. My dear man, take it easy, it's more than okay to "soon come" now and you know that. Some don't know that and suffer so much later. Tu hermano te extraña y vamos a esperar :dance: Annie

Looking good my friend, continued success!
Thanks Chris, your new avatar thru me for a loop for a second there, hehe.
Hey Ramon,
Glad to see you're back here !

I love the look to those Red Habs and what a jump with the MoA's !

Are you double and tripling up the nursery containers for stability or soil insulation from the heat ?

Always an enjoyable glog to follow...
Thanks Greg! I only double or triple the containers to make one good one. All these nursery containers are recycled ones I find from landscaping jobs that they throw out, sometimes the guys planting them rip them apart and I can make a good one from doubling or tripling. That said, I’ve now found another half dozen that are all fine, guess it depends on how careful the guys are with them, regardless they still toss them and some look new, well at least the ones I found last week. Once the babies all get bigger, I’ll probably have to buy a few, but it certainly helps to get some freebies :D

I was beginning to wonder what happened to you, thought you got a little burnt out. I'm sooo sorry to hear about your mom. Thats gotta be super tough man. I couldn't even imagine losing something as close as that. My prayers go out to you and the fam. I always think to myself when something like that happens, life goes on and enjoy it while your here cause you never know what tomorrow is gonna bring. My condolences brethren. :pray:
Thanks for the kind words Jamison, my family was very lucky as when I returned from Jamaica some 10 years ago, my mother and father both got to see our 2 boys grow from babies and we got together several times a week with at least a few bashes per month, we were very fortunate, again thank you.

Ramon, are you quite sure you're not an angel, querido? You surely have some angelic looking, chap-chin-drooling, beautiful MoA pods! Holy ENVY! (= inspiration!) I don't need much convincing to be on a Fla beach but your unwashed Sargasso kelp trials and successes are additional support for my addiction to mama ocean! Really interested in taste of choc scorpion! And the MoA's . . . WOW! Big girls!!! Peace, I miss you . . . and I know you're coming back. I believe your parents/grandparents are having big family get together, dancing, cooking, living again, loving, without pain, no limits! I'd have loved them, I know a plant by its fruits: you. My dear man, take it easy, it's more than okay to "soon come" now and you know that. Some don't know that and suffer so much later. Tu hermano te extraña y vamos a esperar :dance: Annie
Sorry but I'm far from angel ... hoping God overlooks my indiscretions, lols. Thanks Annie, if you can get fresh weed you should certainly try it as I have and share your insight/experience back with me. I think the fresher the better and the no washing keeps the little sea life on or in it which adds to it's overall power. I'm very happy to be using it and hope I don't overdue it as I'm back on a weekly spraying of the weed juice I've been making, this batch has come out much better than my last and will be starting another one next week, wish it didn't take a whole month plus ... but in the long run it's worth it as well as the multch IMHO.

Here’s the foodie I promised, Boliche Mechado for recipe Click Here, this will only be a pictorial and if you have specific questions please feel free to ask. This is not a good cut of meat (eye round roast), but if it’s pressure cooked properly, it’s as tender as a babies azz. We had many over that did not like hot peppers and normally I’ll stuff a few in with the Chorizo but in this case the ones like me that wanted a little heat beyond the taste of the Chorizo used sofrito starter to spice things up after each serving instead of the internally inserted peppers.

Each cut of meat takes 2 cuts, you should be able to see the cross cut.
35jze6v.jpg

Removing the casing off the Chorizo makes it much less greesy.
2vto7qc.jpg

2 Chorizo's go into each cut of meat.
vowrit.jpg

viff9f.jpg

11j1xdc.jpg

Some of the fat is removed before braising da meat
2q8ar1s.jpg

Onions, green peppers, garlic are Sautéed in pressure cooker without lid, remove the veggies after into a bowl
mczpyv.jpg

Braise each cut of meat in same pressure cooker, all in the same gives a good flavor combo, no cleaning till done, hehe.
20z47ki.jpg

Add back braised meat, sautéed veggies & 1 ½ cups of beef broth
2tezs.jpg

Pressure cook around 30 minutes but this depends on how much liquid is used and total size of meat.
ngc9b4.jpg

Once someone posts I'll post up da plating, warning the picture came out a little blurry but with all going on last week and I didn't look till this morning I didn't have time or materials to re-shoot :/ Hope you enjoy ^_^

Sorry, was away so posting now …
+1 Jamison! And Ramon any tweaking of Boliche Mechado, when you get the time, sweetie, please!
Definitely do the stuffed peppers with it, forgot to mention with 2 hunks of meat we go 45 min’s instead of 30, definitely comes out more tender with pressure cooker, don’t think I’d consider the lower quality meat without one. Oh nice tweak is cooking wine but not too much at the end of your sofrito or with the beef broth. Can’t think much right now, brain a bit off still. Sorry for the poor pics, this time I had my wife do the prep & I took the shots, so no excuse on my part ... just crappy work and even forgot to shot a few in raw :/
Brisket is considered a < than cut of meat as well. Looks :drooling:. +1 on hot sofrito starter to be considerate of all!
We do similar with pork loin if you like that cut better, now that most peeps are gone I&rsquo;ll be doing the pork soon, stuffage is a must IMHO.

10nffp4.jpg

Now I am HUNGRY!!!! LOL
hehe, thanks Chris &hellip; mi hungry too :)

Nice to have ya back Ramon! Sorry to hear of your loss, but you made the best time with your Mom that you could, so no regrets... I'll bet you're thinking of her a lot in the kitchen these days.
Thanks Rick, after moving out and my first cooking alone always made me think of mom, she spoiled me with her cooking &hellip; she did that for my brother and two sisters as well. I hope some day I&rsquo;ll be half the cook and hard worker she was all her life :)

Looks like the Mon is back...

;)
Thanks Al, hope all is well on your end ^_^

Good looking chow there Ramon. Glad to see you back.
Thanks Bill, now for the loads of catching up, any cliff notes available, lol &hellip;

Sorry for your loss.

You food and grow looks great!
Thank you Josh ^_^

Glad to see you're back!

Nice update and foodies!!

Take care bud!

Scott
Good to be back, thanks Scott ^_^ now back to reading up, seems like it'll be months before I'm all caught up and fully back but I'm looking forward to reading all the glog's I've fallen behind on :)

Mmmmmm, that looks tasty! Add that to my ever growing list of recipes found on THP.

Michelle
Chorizo FTW!
As you probably know the foodie pictures & plants were from last week but when all the family stuff going and me being away I did not edit and post till yesterday. Now that I&rsquo;ve clarified that foodie, I decided yesterday when replying to Annie's post that I&rsquo;m going to make the pork lion one tonight and it will feature Chorizo as well Jamison but this one will be getting stuffed with peppers FTW. I will make an effort to take better pictures and try to be more detailed before I post up the pork.

MoA shots were from last week as well, here's what they look like from a few minutes ago:
14wxai1.jpg

2zh4mc7.jpg

33u4cn9.jpg

2dse05u.jpg

Thanks guys for commenting and reading, if you do give this one a try, I think you&rsquo;ll really like love it! Boliche Mechado along with many others are some of my favorite Cuban dishes &hellip; As always, thanks for stopping in :)

Ramon's Gourmet Cuban Cafe is back in action!

Those Jamaican habs looks delicious! Awesome poddage.

Watchu bin a feed dem MoA's bruddah?!!!

Back