• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Plants look happy bro! Lookin' forward to the foodies!

Scott
Thanks Scott, just finished but again the pics aren’t that great, wife helped out shooting this time cept the last one. We're helping each other improve the pictures but I can't post those shots ;) The taste is awesome, been a while since we've done the pork and I highly recommend trying this out. Our older son was home so we could only put 1 big hab in with the Chorizo but it still came out killa tasting. Next time I'll cut another chop off for him like we did with out younger one. I had to cut out the BBQ cooking picture as it took me over the limit but I think everyone can figure out the cooking and that pic wasn't great IMHO.

Ramon's Gourmet Cuban Cafe is back in action!

Those Jamaican habs looks delicious! Awesome poddage.

Watchu bin a feed dem MoA's bruddah?!!!
lols at gourmet … I’ve been foliar spraying with my new seaweed batch and the Jamaican’s are setting up for a load of soon come Habs \o/ IMHO this seaweed emulsion batch came out much stronger than the last, more critters in it ;)
holy good goodness! you have got to be kidding me? i so want to strip down and roll all in a tub of that boliche :dance:

sir you have set the bar on this forum with that dish! :clap:
Thanks Jason, it’s not hard to make … you should give it a try, I would recommend to try it first time with pork loin as it’s much faster.

So here’s the pork loin way I spoke about earlier … BTW the meat was marinated all day in cheat sauce, lol

Bell Pepper, onions, garlic, black pepper, secret ingredients ;)
2r5wxaf.jpg

Add in pressure softened BB’s, a little more secret ingredients, hehe … the rest should be self explanatory or feel free to ask.
ipqy2o.jpg

2q0k015.jpg

2e1up03.jpg

sfictf.jpg

a1pfsn.jpg

rap7kp.jpg

3088h3d.jpg

2eogymt.jpg

11uzwh0.jpg

As always, thank you for checking/reading and stopping by. I hope you guys try this dish out with your favorite peppers, it's super good ...

Welcome back, Ramon! You sure made a splash upon reentry! ;)

MoAs look fantastic, as do the White and Red Bhuts and the Chocolate Scorp. Looks like your unwashed seaweed works wonders. That boliche looks fantastic, especially the one with the pork. Can't argue with pork stuffed pork! Keep it up, my friend!

Ramon, you need to check out this thread in Cooking With Fire

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/20435-how-do-you-make-your-chorizo/#entry427526

I'm sure you have a great home made chorizo. I saw something like this done and was thinking of doing the same thing but more like a Cannelon using a loose chorizo and then braising it in a deep CI skillet. and I loves me some Black Beans con rizzo :)

Always glad when I've already had lunch before coming in here. Working on a RocketMan Mojo too. I was given a great base recipe which uses Grapefruit juice.

dude!!!!!!!! :silenced: i will try it first with pork loin. pork loin is one of my favs" the wife can pimp that shiz also". i will try this soon and let yall know about it. that is 3 awesome ;)
FYI: the pork dish is dryer than the other even though the meat was marinated all day, probably less fatning too. The Chorizo does provide some moistness internally but nothing like the broth of the Boliche Mechado. 2nd FYI, I do not have a problem with this dish being dry, we (family) still loves the taste but if you like moist meat nothing beats stuffed Boliche (stuffed = mechado) and seriously a pressure cooker tenderizes (makes it soft) it like a babies azz. Please let me know when you do it and how you like it, don’t forget to take lots of pics ^_^

Another point I failed to make, don't limit stuffage to Chorizo, we've done it with carrots, garlic, ham, sweat red peppers, onion and various other meats you name it ... lols.

Welcome back, Ramon! You sure made a splash upon reentry! ;)
Thanks Doc Brent, it’s good to be back ^_^

MoAs look fantastic, as do the White and Red Bhuts and the Chocolate Scorp. Looks like your unwashed seaweed works wonders.
I highly recommend the seaweed if you can make some. I’m floored at the difference it has made to my larger plants, impossible for me to capture in pictures but it’s amazing. New explosive growth, a lushness that is indescribable, they almost look like new plants or how they preformed in their first year jumping up & out. I will continue making new batches monthly from now on, I’m sold! I also think that I did a better job on this batch it almost seems to bubble on it’s own … love da beach \o/

That boliche looks fantastic, especially the one with the pork. Can't argue with pork stuffed pork! Keep it up, my friend!
Thank you and back at ya for the awesome pizza you posted … I gotta try one, your pics made me so hungry ^_^

Edit:
I'm sure you have a great home made chorizo. I saw something like this done and was thinking of doing the same thing but more like a Cannelon using a loose chorizo and then braising it in a deep CI skillet. and I loves me some Black Beans con rizzo :)
My mother use to make us some but I’ve not tried, thank you for the link as I will try it for sure :)

Always glad when I've already had lunch before coming in here. Working on a RocketMan Mojo too. I was given a great base recipe which uses Grapefruit juice.
I’ve used Grapefruit and Naranja Agria (sour orange) in loads of marinades but never used Grapefruit for Mojo, sounds great … might substitute the orange next time. FYI I take simastatin and not allowed to eat Grapefruit :( but I’ll go off it for a few days when they’re in season here … again, thanks for the link ^_^

Nice job on the foodies Ramon!

I was browsing some at the end of my lunch break, another recipe to jot down. I just can't keep up!

Keep up the good work!

Scott
Scott thanks for checking out the food, if you get the chance you should definately try one of the two out. The combination of meat, peppers and Chorizo is so tasty, definately worth a little work. If I had some left over I'd be chowing it up right now ^_^

After visiting Doc Brents glog earlier today, his killer pizza inspired me to pull a few Serrano peppers to try again. I've been allowing them to stay on the plant as long as possible to see if they can get bigger and I had not yet tried a green one from my grow. The bush is loaded up for it's size so taking a few wasn't an issue. So here's todays micro harvest, lolz ... While Serrano's are not hot IMHO the zing (heat level) was very nice on these :)
2lb487.jpg

Thanks for looking & stopping by ^_^

I love Chorizo... one of my favorites is Basque Garbanzos con Chorizo over rice! Basically a skillet dish that's simple and hearty, and muy caliente!
Rick, I agree … I love Garbanzo soup but our Cuban recipe is definitely different. I once read a Basque recipe that you prepaired in 3 separate pans and combined the stuff at the end, interesting. Like you I prefer to use one pan and a deep one at that. Next time you make some post up a pic, thanks for checking the carne mechado ^_^

The food looks awesome! The closeup in the middle looks like Mick Jaggar ;)
Thanks Stefan, I see what you mean the “lip” they use in their promos, hehe.

Another point I failed to make, don't limit stuffage to Chorizo, we've done it with carrots, garlic, ham, sweat red peppers, onion and various other meats you name it ... lols.

if the meat is a tad dry (and pork usually is) ... than you can also make some "supplemental holes" (parallel to the principal tunnel) ... and put bacon in there ... thats just too yummmy ...

there are some special needles to get the bacon into the meat

0713405185_g.jpg

cheers, Al

Thanks and great idea Al, I'll be doing that for sure the next time I cook the pork dish. I have a rigging needle that should do the trick :)

I want to thank everyone that posted and kept me optimistic during the near death experience of my favorite plant. I hope she comes back to be half the lady she was before. While I believe I have mentioned she was making a come back I had not shown a picture until now:
whian8.jpg

165ojq.jpg

Two of my older plants (JA Habs) are starting to show signs of a huge bloom to come as everywhere I look on them they look like:
2ldg2lh.jpg

5cg9on.jpg

Here is the pineapple update, the one of the left is almost American football size and the one on the right just popped the other day, a little larger than a golf ball at this stage but both have popped before the 8 month slip mark and I’m happy bout dat ^_^
10eir6h.jpg
1zxnq8l.jpg

Thanks for stopping in to look, have a great day :)

Great !
New growth and new buds.

Be easy on the old girl...the plant still has a large root system. Anything thats feed into the soil will be brought up into the small new growth. Very little of anything, even water will go along way. It appears she'll be back to normal soon, then you can trim off any old wood that isn't sprouting.

looks to me she is going to be even a better lady than before
That would certainly make me happy, rehab must have been hell for her ;)

Great !
New growth and new buds.

Be easy on the old girl...the plant still has a large root system. Anything thats feed into the soil will be brought up into the small new growth. Very little of anything, even water will go along way. It appears she'll be back to normal soon, then you can trim off any old wood that isn't sprouting.
Thanks, it took a long time for her to come back, seems like four to five times as long as others that I have cut back completely. She’s been in ½ day sun now for 5 days and taking it fine. Nothing given to her other than very low dose of seaweed emulsion and the little rain we've had, no watering. For weeks I was spraying the wood every 3 days with very light seaweed home brew, thought I was wasting my weed brew and bam she’s back from rehab ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ Thanks for the tips, much appreciated :)
»» Foobar2k ::: Amy Winehouse - Back To Black (2006) - 01 - Rehab ::: 1:43/3:34 (••••••••••) ::: 492 kbps ««

Glad to see she's coming around, I always felt she would cuz she stayed mostly green.

I'm thinking before long she'll be growing like crazy.

Congrats on the Habs flowering.

Take care,

Scott
Thanks Scott, you are very perceptive and I can’t wait for her to come back full force. Last year on one of her better days she pumped out well over a pound of pods all by herself, I was so impressed. As always, thanks for your support ^_^

Good to have you back, Ramon. Sorry about the loss of your mom.

Plants are looking great and I can't wait to get my hands on some fresh seaweed!

And the food? Always a total inspiration!
Thanks Carl, I think she’s finally with dad but sorely missed. If you get enough seaweed and make a good brew I think you’ll be going beach side more often. While I could see the improvements with pervious batch, I made this last one extra strong thinking I could always dilute it some. This current batch has blown me away, I have some with and without and the MoA’s are in the group of with. I believe I’ll be transplanting them again this weekend, I’m seriously floored as I can note ¼ to ½ inch of grow every 24 hour period … I just hope I don’t OD them on the stuff, lol. One critical tip I can give you is the fresher the better, right down by the water and into a sealed bag. You don’t want to shake it, don’t wash it, if it has sand you’ll need to strain it off but don’t loose the little beneficials in there as I believe this is the ticket; seaweed & sea creature/fish emulsion. I made the mistake to wash the previous batch and lost that extra beneficial bonus. Don’t worry about the salt, just use it sparingly and cut way down on Epsom salt. Great luck with it and let me know how it does for you. BTW I've started using it as mulch unwashed as well and the lushness on the plants is so evident to me as I see them daily, hard to capture that in pictures. Don't believe what you read about washing/rinsing it off that I read on all the tutorials you find online (this goes for sargassum seaweed, I don't know anything about kelp as we do not get it here).

Mmm, child! Make a gal HONGRAY! Beautiful . . . :drooling:
Foodie, your pics make me hungry too! Don’t forget to take loads of pics of your Caribbean Shrimp, I’m dying to see your recipe in action. Wish I could be there but you might need a few extra pounds just to cover me, lols. I can bet this will blow the socks off any Mexican Seafood I’ve ever made ;) enjoy!
»» Foobar2k ::: Nirvana - Incesticide (1990) - 11 - Mexican Seafood ::: 0:45/1:55 (••••••••••) ::: 482 kbps ««
I knew that baby girl was gonna make it with your loving attention, Ramon! ;) Lookin' really, really good! Much peace, mi hermano!
As always thank you and thanks to all that stop by dis glog and share their wealth of knowledge and stories with us all :)

That would certainly make me happy, rehab must have been hell for her ;)

Thanks, it took a long time for her to come back, seems like four to five times as long as others that I have cut back completely. She’s been in ½ day sun now for 5 days and taking it fine. Nothing given to her other than very low dose of seaweed emulsion and the little rain we've had, no watering. For weeks I was spraying the wood every 3 days with very light seaweed home brew, thought I was wasting my weed brew and bam she’s back from rehab ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ Thanks for the tips, much appreciated :)
»» Foobar2k ::: Amy Winehouse - Back To Black (2006) - 01 - Rehab ::: 1:43/3:34 (••••••••••) ::: 492 kbps ««

i see the strongest comeback since ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y3YM0WyXJk

:party:

Back