• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Ramon,

Plants look great! Whatever you're doing, they sure seem to like it. I think you hit the up-pot just right, I like to get them moved when they just start to make the turns at the bottom.

Ah...Mr. Lizard:) I've just started seeing them in the garden, the little striped guys. We never saw any Road Runners until a few years ago, and they love lizards, therefore I throw lead in their general direction when I can...

Have a great week!

Ramon,

Plants look great! Whatever you're doing, they sure seem to like it. I think you hit the up-pot just right, I like to get them moved when they just start to make the turns at the bottom.

Ah...Mr. Lizard:) I've just started seeing them in the garden, the little striped guys. We never saw any Road Runners until a few years ago, and they love lizards, therefore I throw lead in their general direction when I can...

Have a great week!
Thanks, lizards here are high on my friendly list, they eat bugs near or on the peppers all the time. It’s funny to watch them jump from pepper plant to pepper plant and be the guardians of the crop ^_^

Wooo, those roots are looking outrarous! I hopw you remember enactly how you made that batch of Wonder Juice, you may want to create it again later on in the season. looking Great Ramon.

Have a great week Brah.
Nothing fancy, loads of seaweed and water (3 to 4 parts weed and water to cover). Constant agitation for a month + does the trick …
hammm ... any culinary excursons planned ...???
lol, wait till I start posting the iguanas that come out of hibernation in the summer … hard to believe that peeps eat them, ewwwwww!

Your MoAs are spankin', Ramon! Nice work!
Thanks Gary, yours are kick'in azz too mon! Can't wait till we all have pods, Steve will probably be telling us how dem taste soon, I can't wait to hear his feedback :)

Radioactive Seaweed Tea, huh? Well, whatever it is, it seems to be doing you well... don't change anything Ramon!
I hope you know I was joking about radioactive, don't want to deceive but seriously this batch came out noticeably better (stronger) than the last and has affected all feed plants in a way that is noticeable to the naked eye, even the old gals.

Raining here non stop, went to cook and no sofrito starter :( … ran outside, picked a few to start a new batch.
Here’s today’s micro harvest :D
30931nt.jpg

I hope you know I was joking about radioactive, don't want to deceive but seriously this batch came out noticeably better (stronger) than the last and has affected all feed plants in a way that is noticeable to the naked eye, even the old gals.

Raining here non stop, went to cook and no sofrito starter :( … ran outside, picked a few to start a new batch.
30931nt.jpg

I could deal with some of that non-stop rain...feel free to share!

Pods look great! JA's?

I was introduced to sofrito a few years ago, good stuff. I have to try your recipe. I haven't fully read your glog yet..time issues but saw the chain saw pic and that ham and egg plate is gonna happen!

Keep it up bro!

Scott

PS: So what exactly do you do too | with the seaweed? Any special kind? A guy I work with lives for the coast, I think I can make a trade :D

Edit: mo stuff

So seaweed is your secret! I think I have some hidden away somewhere, but if I left it in the garage it is probably frozen.

Nice looking harvest! You are well ahead of the game, my friend.

Oh yeah... I'm hip Ramon... didn't seriously think you meant it was actually radioactive. It's great that your plants like your homemade "hooch" though!

Nice pull for this early in the season!

It looks like we'll be getting some of your rain a little later in the week. This time of year, whenever we get wind from the south it warms right up and rains.

sounds like a name for an album by a 1970ies progressive rock band ;-)

cheeeers
Al
Agreed, very kool band name
»» Foobar2k ::: Radioactive Seaweed (1973) - 02 - Pepper Madness Enablers ::: 4:07/5:01 (••••••••••) ::: 414 kbps «« ;) ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

Beautiful peppers. I may try some sofrito this summer. Sounds good.
Thank you for pepper compliment :) The thing I like most about having a tub of lightly stir fried pepper, onion and garlic in the fridge is that it’s easy to use. I put it on all kinds of things, including simple sandwiches, ordered pizza, steak, fish, ect. Goes good with anything. IMHO it’s like having a bottle of hot sauce in the fridge and who here doesn’t have one ^_^

I could deal with some of that non-stop rain...feel free to share!
I hope you get your fair share, I’ll do a rain dance in your honor :dance:

Pods look great! JA's?
Thanks Scott, yes they’re Jamaican Habanero's, a little smaller than normal but still very tasty.

I was introduced to sofrito a few years ago, good stuff. I have to try your recipe.
Not really a whole recipe thus the name “starter,” it’s just so you have something ready to go in a pinch and add additional stuff or not when your ready to cook or heat something up. For example yesterday I had leftovers for lunch, I put what little sofrito starter I had into fry pan (the starter already has virgin olive oil in it), cut up some left over pork chop into slices. On the other side of the same pan I had rice & beans going, what the heck I mixed it all up together, like a tropi-chop if you know the reference. Cooked & served in less than 10 minutes, a quick, simple and tasty lunch with a nice zing of heat to it.

I haven't fully read your glog yet..time issues but saw the chain saw pic and that ham and egg plate is gonna happen!
I have time issues also and always feel that I’m playing catch up in others glog’s. Some I’ll admit I never get to but then again I’ve commented in a lot of glogs that I do not get reciprocation and they probably have time issues as well ...

PS: So what exactly do you do too | with the seaweed? Any special kind? A guy I work with lives for the coast, I think I can make a trade :D
I only know about Sargassum seaweed because that is what we get here, I never get any kelp as it does not grow in warm waters. IIRC I wrote what I do somewhere in the glog but there are loads of great tutorials on the net, I suggest reading some. Mines simple; loads of seaweed (3/2 parts, heavy on da weed), water, agitation & mashing it up. Close lid, constant agitation and wait 30 ++ days. I do open mine once every 3 or 4 days to help in the mash up. Hope dat helps ...

So seaweed is your secret! I think I have some hidden away somewhere, but if I left it in the garage it is probably frozen.

Nice looking harvest! You are well ahead of the game, my friend.
Thanks Stefan, oh I use chicken poop, coffee, banana skins, ect. too but I don’t start them on the poop & other stuff till their last final transplant. Lately the coffee near the surface has eliminated ants for me, which is a good thing as I see much less aphids & eggs that get planted by the black little devils :D

Oh yeah... I'm hip Ramon... didn't seriously think you meant it was actually radioactive. It's great that your plants like your homemade "hooch" though!

Nice pull for this early in the season!

It looks like we'll be getting some of your rain a little later in the week. This time of year, whenever we get wind from the south it warms right up and rains.
Rick I’m happy to read you will be getting some of our warmth, now send us some of your cold air and we’ll both be ecstatic, hehe. I can’t wait to see your plants in the ground, I think you’ll be having a blow out season :) With this last batch their response is really noticeable to me. One larger plant (almost 2 years old) got seaweed ground cover and a drink once a week. Before that it was looking sluggish, the leaves were a light green and within a week I noticed a lusher darker green leaf color with new explosive growth. To say the least I'm sold and will be making batches year round now, thanks for pointing me to companies you've dealt with in my exploratory stage :)

As always thanks everyone for stopping in, reading, commenting and tips … have a great week!

Love los lagaros verdes! (Yeah, anole, but in DR, they just said, "lagarto.") I miss them . . . want them and yep: they reduce the insect pop to NADA! In D.R. they came in house, had coffee with me (and that "coffee" is strong espresso with a ton azucar and thick cream). Dang lagarto was sitting on patio outside with me on table one morning, looking at coffee, curious. Left to see what he'd do, drank some of it! Hmm. More hyper than usual? Wish this weather would support them as they hit-men on bugs! I envy your weather, mi hermano! I too am not growing the white bhut . . . just kidding, but the MoA seeds . . . :pray: Te pido y mas pediendo :party:

I'm with Al, because this grow is so beautiful . . . like that the MoA is sprouting a hand too! And 4 hands . . . :silenced: But in truth, am so tired, 8 hands attached to able-bodied adults . . . no kidding, would be lovely . . . I mean for potting up, planting out . . . never mind, smh. Beautiful results on that seaweed brew! :clap:

I'm with Al, because this grow is so beautiful . . . like that the MoA is sprouting a hand too! And 4 hands . . . :silenced: But in truth, am so tired, 8 hands attached to able-bodied adults . . . no kidding, would be lovely . . . I mean for potting up, planting out . . . never mind, smh. Beautiful results on that seaweed brew! :clap:

just let ramon have a self addressed envelope ... I am sure he gladly fills it to the brim with hands and sends it back to you ... :D

(...wasnt there a guy in canada last year or so .... :silenced: )

salu2 a to2,
Al

Love los lagaros verdes! (Yeah, anole, but in DR, they just said, "lagarto.") I miss them . . . want them and yep: they reduce the insect pop to NADA! In D.R. they came in house, had coffee with me (and that "coffee" is strong espresso with a ton azucar and thick cream). Dang lagarto was sitting on patio outside with me on table one morning, looking at coffee, curious. Left to see what he'd do, drank some of it! Hmm. More hyper than usual? Wish this weather would support them as they hit-men on bugs! I envy your weather, mi hermano! I too am not growing the white bhut . . . just kidding, but the MoA seeds . . . :pray:Te pido y mas pediendo :party:
No need for you to pedir, your names already on the first true pod :) But you’ll have to wait to grow next season or definitely OW it or the Jamaican Ministry might get pissed ;)

I'm with Al, because this grow is so beautiful . . . like that the MoA is sprouting a hand too! And 4 hands . . . :silenced:But in truth, am so tired, 8 hands attached to able-bodied adults . . . no kidding, would be lovely . . . I mean for potting up, planting out . . . never mind, smh. Beautiful results on that seaweed brew! :clap:
Thank you for da compliments and I could always use extra hands even in bug squishing, hehe. Let me know when you start your batch, I can feel a trip to surfside is in the cards for you ^_^

just let ramon have a self addressed envelope ... I am sure he gladly fills it to the brim with hands and sends it back to you ... :D

(...wasnt there a guy in canada last year or so .... :silenced:)

salu2 a to2,
Al
I kind of answered it above, no need for any envelope I’d gladly pay. Here’s the story on the MoA; I only had a few seeds of the MoA so when I have pods I’ll send you some too if you have a forwarding service in the US or if you visit via Miami :)

I’ll be potting up all of the plants from Greg’s (Pic1) seed when the shade rolls in as it’s so hot here you can’t spend a minute out of the pool. And no I’m not trying to make you northerners jealous, we’re just in da Tropics here and temps, weather change on the drop of a hat. I’ll try to take some pics to post up later or tomorrow, have a great day!

Another micro harvest, lol. Left to right: Red Serrano’s, Everglades tomatoes, Matilda the duck and Jamaican Habs.
ogkldu.jpg

As always, thanks for reading all :) have a great day!

Wow man, your glog moves fast! A few days and I'm three pages behind, lol!

Those up-pots look great. Once the roots seek out their new-found soil the plants are going to thank you! Those JA Habs look awesome. Cool shot of the lizard. We have quite a few lizards around here, but nothing that looks tropical like that one. Ours are desert species like the blue-belly and the alligator lizard.

That most recent harvest shot is cool. Had to do a double-take on Matilda the duck, lol. Is that coral that you photographed them on?

Keep up the grow, bro!

Back