smokers Weber Smokers

The never ending debate over styles of smokers haha haha once again it all comes down to experience experience experience!! :) as far as smoke rings go they develop by the process of slow and low power the heat brighter the ring slow cooks produce the best ring my pellet pooper produces beautiful ring if that's what you're looking for watch your temps and no peeking!!!!!! !!!!!! The longer it takes your product to reach finished temp the deeper your ring will be :) OH and offset smokers rule!!! Hehe :)
images-43.jpeg

oldsalty said:
The never ending debate over styles of smokers haha haha once again it all comes down to experience experience experience!! :) as far as smoke rings go they develop by the process of slow and low power the heat brighter the ring slow cooks produce the best ring my pellet pooper produces beautiful ring if that's what you're looking for watch your temps and no peeking!!!!!! !!!!!! The longer it takes your product to reach finished temp the deeper your ring will be :) OH and offset smokers rule!!! Hehe :)
attachicon.gif
images-43.jpeg

I was reviewing the metrics off all of my brisket cooks, last night, actually ...

I was comparing wood/temp/config/outcomes in terms of bark and ring and dryness ...

I'll post up later on, once I dig up a couple of pictures for my post ...

TL;DR - Offset rules.

grantmichaels said:
I was reviewing the metrics off all of my brisket cooks, last night, actually ...

I was comparing wood/temp/config/outcomes in terms of bark and ring and dryness ...

I'll post up later on, once I dig up a couple of pictures for my post ...

TL;DR - Offset rules.
Excellent great information for new and seasoned cooks alike!!! Nothing beats hard data I keep journals of all my cooks and am constantly referring to them. Would be lost without them!! :)

Ok, here's a question about the WSM. It may have been answered in here, but there are way too many post to read em all.

I only smoke once in a while, but am sick of using the high maintenance weber kettle turned smoker. So I'm looking at the 18" WSM.

Has anyone attempted to do an over night smoke with one? I'm sure it would involve getting up at least once to add coals. Just wondering, cause I'd like to do more pork butts and briskets. They just take too damn long if day smoking

HigherThisHeat said:
Ok, here's a question about the WSM. It may have been answered in here, but there are way too many post to read em all.

I only smoke once in a while, but am sick of using the high maintenance weber kettle turned smoker. So I'm looking at the 18" WSM.

Has anyone attempted to do an over night smoke with one? I'm sure it would involve getting up at least once to add coals. Just wondering, cause I'd like to do more pork butts and briskets. They just take too damn long if day smoking
If you want to spend a little extra money, there are modifications that will allow you to do what you want. I just started the process on mine and it also depends on how you burn your fuel. I used the fuse method this past weekend and it burned for a long time on a 1/2 bag of fuel at perfect temperature. Follow my FLOG to see the changes I am making to my WSM. 

Also I am using some tips from here...

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/weber_smokey_mountain_setup.html

HigherThisHeat said:

I have the 18" and on a full load of charcoal, I have run it for 10 hours at a time using the minion method.  I have not tried an overnight, but I will once the weather warms up, for the same reasons you say.  If you do it please post results.

HigherThisHeat said:

I have zero fear about running my Akorn overnight, but I would never run my Weber overnight ...

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I am going to do an overnight with my WSM after I do one cook post modifications, I am pretty sure the worst case is it will cool off and I can still finish before noon ;)

That's what I figured...or it will spike and I will have a burnt slab of meat. 

tctenten said:

That's what I figured...or it will spike and I will have a burnt slab of meat. 
Mine does not spike now at all pre-mods. As long as I know which vents to have open or closed and use the right amount of fuel, it is fairly a set it and forget it for said number of hours. 

The Weber kettle (OTG) surges and spikes, the Akorn *SLOWLY* loses steam ...

With the vents in a given position, it really kind of can't run any hotter than it runs in that position, short of external addition (like Guru) ...

So, w/ the vents in the low/smoke stopped down place, the only thing that could really happen is the fire could go out or go low, and then the shell stays hot for two hours even after flame out when stopped way, way down ...

Like JHP says, worst case I wake up and add fuel and resume the cook ...

Probe graph (if I use the iGrill2) would tell me if the meat stalled for a long time in the danger zone - in which case I'd just cook it more/longer, anyways ...

Yeah, overnight pork butts coming up in a couple of weeks ...

HigherThisHeat said:
I think even unmoded, at least from what I hear, an overnight smoke on the WSM could still be done, but by no means do I expect uninterrupted sleep to be had.

Gonna check out your FLOG now Jhp to see whats up with these mods
Putting the hood hinge on later then going to get the fittings so I can insert two probes :) 

Main thing I don't like about water smokers is I like a dry chamber, not a humid one. The offset serves that purpose. If you don't mind the steam messing with the bark on pulled pork, the WSM is a good smoker. You can use a higher sugar ratio to get that bond so the water from the smoker doesn't cause it to rub off, but then you get more black. Bark is always better off a non-water. And I really don't like ribs off a water smoker at all. I like a dry exterior, but for people that sauce them on the smoker, or glaze them, etc., you won't find any difference. I don't do that though. I hot sauce them after the smoke.

It's a minor issue, but compare meat off both, and you will see.

I believe a little humidity is good, but the large water bowl under all the food is too much steam. Just imo. People swear by these!

Back