• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you consider healthy or normal amount of booze to consume?

There has been a new study put out that says binge drinking a few nights a week(3-4) is better for you than not drinking at all.

Hmmm.. Highly variable here. I'll have a shot of tequila or whiskey of some kind when I get off work (I'f there's any around), and usually have 3-4 beers between cooking dinner and going to bed.

On weekends, I usually get a bit wilder on Friday/Saturday. Numbers? I don't count. Sunday I'll have a beer or two in the afternoon or maybe a bloody mary with breakfast. Other than that, I'm on the 3-4 beers kick on sunday too, just like any other work day.

Heh, I'd say it varies a lot for me.

I 'prolly drink mebbe once or twice a week other than the ocassional beer or what have you.

On the weekends I tend to have more than a few.
But if I do drink a lot, I'll take a couple days off to recuperate... ;)

I don't really keep track of numbers....
drinking-2.gif

Not that I am proud of this, but today would be a pretty typical day: I got off work at four, had four beers (only meant to have two, but a friend bought me a couple) ate supper, settled in front of the tv, then computer and had one more beer and two vodka and tonics (so far, but I think I am about finished).

Since I got back from Iraq I am averaging 10-20 beers on the weekday nights and alot more on weekend. If you think there is binge drinking in colledge join the army.lmao I usually dont open the tequila till friday nite or saturday,

I usually stayed dry during the week but made up for it on the weekends. It was nothing for me to pound 15-20 beers and a bottle of schnapps on Friday night then turn around on Saturday and hit the gin or bourbon hard.

I quit drinking several years ago for health reasons. I'll have a beer or two on holidays and that is it.

Best of luck to all of you with your drinking. Hope it never gives you any problems, including hangovers.:)

My best friend since grade 4 is also my head sys admin. This guy is a genius. Pure and simple. We are at a hosting conference right now ni Washington, he is asking questions and making suggestions that have guys from google, sanford and mit shaking their head and saying - why didn't I think of that... for real.

BUT

He is a drunk, pure and simple. A really, REALLY BRIGHT drunk and my best friend.

For the past decade I have simply been supporting his habit I think.

Tonight, I asked him to leave the party and let's get some sleep so we can hit the conference FRESH tomorrow. he declined, saying he would leave when they kicked him out.

Now, this morning he missed the first conference course due to sleeping in, assumably from the beers last night.

What do you do?

On one hand, I want to fire him. I am livid. This conference cost me $6k for the two of us. I provided him with a few hundred bucks to have coffee/food etc without me and he is buying NOTHING but beer with it.

On the other hand, he is my BEST FRIEND SINCE grade 4.

I REALLY want to help him.

Just tonight he told me he knows he is an alcoholic. He believes he can work through it and not let it affect his work life.

Yet I believe tomorrow he will be hungover and unable to wake up. I am only awake at this hour because I am so upset about him being awol drinking.

What would you do, in my situation? I would greatly appreciate the advice.

lostmind said:
What would you do, in my situation? I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Tell him how you feel. Also tell him that you will fire him if he doesn't work through this. Give him one chance - if he is ever drunk or hung over in a working situation like this, that's it. You don't want to be the enabler, do you? And whatever you do - don't give him cash for food.

Easy to say, harder to do. He will probably hate you a first and even use it as an excuse to drink more "to calm his feelings" or whatever, but chances are he'll love you later and you have your friend back and alive for a long time.

I'm still up and near tears, if anyone cares.

I appreciate the advice and I think you are right mr arboc. It's just so hard. We grew up together, survived a pretty rough childhood. WIthout him, I definitely would not be where I am. But where I used alchoholic for fun, to him it is a lifeline. It has been for years, a decade or more. I have been enabling him for ages. Ages and ages.

He has been letting me down for years.

He would die to read this. He thinks he always has my back. If there was a train about to hit me, I firmly believe he would push me out of the way and take the hit. I would do the same for him.

So how do I fire him?

I have said about a half dozen times in the past few years I should fire him.

I can't pull the trigger.

I am a big softie. I'm too Canadian. I dunno why I can't do it. I'm worse then a beaten wife.

I keep thinking I should do something for him. He means more to me then my own family. I've changed myself, I'm a former fat boy. Why can't I help him change?

He is so much more intelligent then I am. Seriously, he is; imho a genius. If I had his skillset, his intuition I would be on the same playing field as Google. This guy is literally on that level *IF* he applies himself.

Yet he is a high school dropout.

Honestly, I didn't cry when my dad died. Nor when my grandfather died. Both were extremely important figures in my life. Yet now, I am so close to tears I am blinking them away.

I'm worse then a beaten wife. I need to end this I think. TIme to man up, do the right thing, support him if he goes to AA or something... I dunno. But I don't think I can ALLOW him to take advantage of me any longer.

lost...I don't want to be a downer here for you...but, if his drinking is costing you money, there is only one alternative left...you will have to let him go...

So sorry to hear about your friend Lost, but everyone is right, if he's costing you money, and his job performance is getting in the way, there's nothing much that you can do.
The bottom line is that you have to do whats best for the company.

My husband went through a similar situation a year ago, we hired a great friend to work at our shop, and at first everything was great, but then we noticed that work starts at 8am, he'd show at 8:15 carrying a bag of McDonalds and expect to eat it then, he would get 6 or 7 personal calls a day at work, then that stopped and his cell phone would ring and step outside constantly to answer it, drop whatever he was working on, costing us money, he'd call an hour after he was to be at work and call in sick, and then throw a FIT when i docked him a days pay....ummm, you dont work, you dont get paid.

My husband let him go after a few other incidents that cost us money, like crashing our CNC machines, and then thinking it was funny while the machines were down and costing us big money each day they sat idle waiting to be fixed......when he was let go FINALLY, he filed a Workers Compensation claim against us, and the best news is that, we were notified, about 3 weeks ago, that they are throwing out his claim, no proof to support what he said!!
I know that our situations are totally different, but i hope in reading this, it helps you some, in that somtimes friends more then take advantage, when they know or think that nothing will be done.

Good luck.

Oh and we go through a 24 case of beer about once a month~~~

yah, the downer here is that he is my best friend.

I had 5 beers last night. By the time I left him, he was up in the double digits.

Now, he got in after 5 am last night. First show starts 8:15.

I've tried to wake him twice.

I'm leaving to hit the conference floor now.

It's tough to watch someone throw his life away over beer.

He missed the first show, I couldn't wake him in 4 attempts. GIven up now, wonder when he wakes up...

guess I have a great opportunity to talk to him on the plane ride home.

Oh thats too bad,what a shame, what about placing him on a leave of absence, or would that be worse?
Suggest that he needs AA meetings, and that his job performance is suffering from it.

Lost, perhaps you can give him the ultimatum of either submitting to rehabilitation and counseling for an extended period of time and sticking to it or losing his job. Maybe even offer to help out with the rehab/counseling too.

Back