• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

What do you do for a living?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Yeah its not about me, almost every customer in the fortune 500 is a MS shop :(

Capitalism gets it wrong, again. =)

Fuckin' capitalism is only good for gettin' yours.

Go in, get yours, get out ...

I figured it out by 35, I guess that's not too bad.

I don't like it, but I get it ... and there's no sense fighting it - it's Americana baby.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Technically I use shapes in Visio lol - I can't draw a straight line. 

I love Visio, designed multiple new offices in Visio when I worked for the state. I even like working, graphically in PowerPoint. Only use Photo Shop and such when I have to, much simpler in the others.

RocketMan said:

I love Visio, designed multiple new offices in Visio when I worked for the state. I even like working, graphically in PowerPoint. Only use Photo Shop and such when I have to, much simpler in the others.
I also love Visio - when I was a project manager I was a flow charting motherfucker.

RocketMan said:

I also use PP since it is much more flexible now a days over Visio with just as many technical stencils. I am pretty proficient with both tools however. 

Anything and everything in construction. Family construction business. We build new homes and apartments and manage our rental property. The best part about what I do is that it is something different every day. One day I may be drawing plans on the computer, others doing maintenance on apartments, or swinging a hammer. Best part is that I get to play outside pretty much every day.

I've been fire protection/sprinkler fitter my entire job career. Started as a draftsmen, designing the fire systems on autocad, then got on the tools installing for about 4-5 years, then got dragged into the office for 3 years doing more design and quotations.

Now happy as again back on the tools for the last 3-4 years

Love being a pipe monkey

Booma said:
I've been fire protection/sprinkler fitter my entire job career. Started as a draftsmen, designing the fire systems on autocad, then got on the tools installing for about 4-5 years, then got dragged into the office for 3 years doing more design and quotations.

Now happy as again back on the tools for the last 3-4 years

Love being a pipe monkey
Half my friends are sprinks. Most teach or are foremen at this point. Seems like a good honest living.

^^^ You got that right!  It's valuable profession, just not one I care to be involved with.  (more in that in a minute)

I started work as a dishwasher in a little cafe at age 13.  Worked numerous food service jobs through high school and after, opened a cafe, closed a cafe, worked a couple other food service jobs while startingt to sell salsa.  Did that for 4 years until I got pregnant and we moved to eastern Washington.

We started our own electrical contacting business (husband is a union electrician of 25 years), and after a few years of not being able to find good help, he recruited (aka DRAFTED) me into helping him.  That was about 12 years ago.  Since then I've gotten my rez journymans license and rez administrators license.  I'm pretty much running the biz now, John has assigned his administrators to a couple other projects over the last 3-4 years. 

Which brings me to the comment above.... we NEVER get service calls but for some reason about a month ago, I got 3 calls from a plumbing business in a neighboring town needing an electrician.  OK..they wanna pay travel?  I'll travel...so off I went.  2 of the 3 calls were for In-Use tanks, replacing pumps etc.

Now I remember why John would quote triple the shop rate when getting septic calls..... 

So Anyway, all the time I was working as a Sparkette, the salsa and hot sauce business was just chugging along.  And that brings us up to date~ :)

I'm working in logistics for a valve (hydraulic) company... it's a lot to do, the time goes by fast.. but it's boring anyway :)
I wanted to be a computer tech./programmer/... (what I was schooling for), was something close for a while, was also a photographer, photo store seller, I printed photos, did a lot of stuff in Photoshop... I also wanted to be a musician but it didn't go well :) Smoked a lot of reefers and drank, forgot what was all about ;)

I really like growing peppers, that's what makes me forget all the dreams not coming true... hell, I have a nice family, a lovely wife and two sons (they're gonna be 5 and 3 in a month) .. they make everyday a lot more interesting for me :)
So, I can't complain much... peace!

Back