What is the "Hot" Pepper to be Growing in 2009...

AlabamaJack said:
you guys are gonna laugh, but I am growing Billy Biker jalapenos this year and I am really excited...

No there in my propagator now..with some wenks yellows your recommendation from last year and looking forward to trying those for flavor,agree the 7pot/scorpion strains are not what i would
but top of my list..the orange i here is very much like the red,few peeps the chocolate scorpion is great so we will see but they are the `fashionable` chili's to grow perhaps and for me its all about flavor and plants grown in a cooler climate and lets face it some peppers should not be grown like the `Apache..more flavor in cardboard :)

AlabamaJack said:
this is my first year growing them Omri...sure hope they turn out as good as I hear they do...

I don't want the heat baha...just a good stuffing pepper to make poppers out of for the wife...If I want heat, I have plenty of that...

O you do indeed nice to have the blending options and its no bad thing to keep the little lady indoors happy to :)

AlabamaJack said:
you guys are gonna laugh, but I am growing Billy Biker jalapenos this year and I am really excited...

Omri said:
I have the seeds for quite some time now, but haven't used them yet. are they good? I'm a huge fan of Jalapeños.

I've grown Biker Billy before, but never in Pro-Mix. I wouldn't get real excited, but they are OK. Maybe a little bigger in size, but not that much hotter IMO, if at all. Jalapenos in general can be very random in size and heat, depends on the plant. Even on the same plant, heat is variable. But I think we've had this conversation before. I know the 2 BB's I have growing are taking off so maybe they'll be spectacular this year. We can get a Biker Billy Smackdown going next year - everybody loves jalapenos. :)

I have a lot of people interested in 7 Pot / 7 Pod and Trinidad Scorpions. I think all the hottest chillies are most popular.

I Would like to see some more people getting interested in ornamental chillies. I will be planting a big garden bed of them this year.

I've been hunting down and growing the new and hottest chiles for years now, but have recently lost most interest while everyone else's interest is peaking. They are so hot and trendy but I'd rather just mainly grow my favorite hotties now like fatalii, and a lot more milder and flavourful chiles. I am however growing the Douglah, yellow 7pot/pod and a few of my hybrid hotties
I've grown many of the ornamental types, but have recently lost interest in these too

AlabamaJack said:

Grew them last year and I am growing them again. I like them as a medium heat pepper. I pickeled and made poppers also made Armadillo eggs with them a good over all pepper IMO they can get quite big and round too. Like a small Anaheim if not taken early. They are a hearty grower and have nice corking. I was only able to get a few to turn red on the vine but they turn faster after picked.

I have a couple Peaches I'm looking forward to,Peach Lantern and Cheiro Pecsego Peach.The Cheiro is supposed to be especially flavorful.

I grow these super hots for novelty sake most times. If I could successfully grow them to maturity, C. Pubescens would always be my top pick. I believe they are most versatile and my favorite taste/heat wise. I'm also growing a good amount of super hot crosses for fun (not mine). Butch T knows all the new super hots. :) Hell, I'm even growing Biker Billys, but they don't live up to the hype I admit. Good, but not as nice as Burpee describes IMO and I enjoy jalapenos.

Talas, what does 'a few more you're going to love' mean? Don't keep us in suspense. :) You never told us what came out of that surprise pod in 2008. We're all in suspense. It's a mystery in your neck of the woods. I guess good poker players never show their hand. lol.

Chris

If i can just get my goddamned fataliis to grow I'll be happy. Best tasting pepper I've ever had, and damn good heat to boot.

BUt yeah, seems the trinidad varieties are the "hot" hot peppers.

I believe the "in" peppers...at the moment are ...

The Jolokia, The 7 pod/pot, Trinidad Scorpion and the Fatalii and Chocolate Fatalii...

I am growing those...and a ton of other stuff...some of it mild, some of it medium and some hotter, oddly I am very excited about my Orange Habanero plants at the moment... I am hoping for good things when they go outside in June...

I'm inclined to agree with Petey. The Bhut Jolokia, 7 pot, Trinidad Scorpion and the Naga morich would get my votes as top four peppers this year.

Never grown or eaten Fatalii's before and I am looking forward to those. Too many people saying too many nice things about them not to try.

Going to be a long, hot summer I hope.:)

Last year everybody grew 7-Pot, Scorpion, Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morich (even before, but last year it was REALLY popular)... this year people are wanting the different colored 7-Pot, Chocolate Bhut Jolokia and all those weird "new" chiles.

boutros said:
Douglah, Scorpions, or Cumari. I hear alot about those lately. Then again, I'm a year or two behind.
I'm a few Days late on this thread, but I try not to tell people what I want so they don't become a mericasMosWanted.
The first one boutros list was the first one on mine too. I want it so bad I made it my avatar for a while.​
:onfire:

I grow whatever seeds I can put my hands on. If they improve and I like them I'll grow them again. Fashion has never been my style... Non of my fatalii seeds sprouted so far though I had two sources. I never tasted them before. Shall I try it again?

LUCKYDOG said:
...also made Armadillo eggs with them ...

Ouuuuch! :lol:

PeterPepperPicker said:
I believe the "in" peppers...at the moment are ...

The Jolokia, The 7 pod/pot, Trinidad Scorpion and the Fatalii and Chocolate Fatalii...

Definitely! Particularly the 7 pod, scorpion and fatalii :mouthonfire:

Wish I could have got hold of seeds for the 7 pod in February, but hopefully I'll be able to get them for next year, or start them off early in October or November.

I've got a 2 year old Thai Dragon that is good for everyday use, and never seems to stop producing!

The it pepper is definitely fatalii or 7 pot. I'm most excited about my scotch bonnet, rocoto, and a couple others like these...scozzese peppers (c. annuum).
49210777.Scozzesepods91305.jpg

POTAWIE said:
I've been hunting down and growing the new and hottest chiles for years now, but have recently lost most interest while everyone else's interest is peaking. They are so hot and trendy but I'd rather just mainly grow my favorite hotties now like fatalii, and a lot more milder and flavourful chiles. I am however growing the Douglah, yellow 7pot/pod and a few of my hybrid hotties
I've grown many of the ornamental types, but have recently lost interest in these too

Which ones in particular?

Back